Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Success!

It took me a little over an hour to put up the weed cloth; there are now mainly 2 layers over most of the area that I covered. Since the weed cloth is 6' wide and the area I needed to block is 3' wide, I folded the upper and lower edges over with the excess on the sunny side. That way there is a layer that the ultraviolet can work on degrading near the edges where the cloth is attached which should keep it intact longer. I also ran strings along the shady side to provide support as gravity pulls the cloth downwards. It makes the kitchen a little darker but it provides better shade for the cats and plants in the cat run.
I started from the end wall.

I am hoping this nylon cord will provide some support when the wind blows.

All done and looking at the amount of sun around 11:30 am.

This should also help make the kitchen a little cooler.
Sun around 1:30 pm.
Luna at night; the old cloth no longer blocks her view.

I did not walk this morning; my back was kinda tight & sore when I got up. I think it might be from the weeding I did yesterday for the hāpuʻu. But I wanted to get it done; it would be overrun if I left it until I came back. Here are photos of that work from yesterday.
Before.
After.
The emerging fronds.

The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes got his desk set up in his "new" work-at-home office. He even has a sign for his door!
Hard at work.
Sʻmores & Keala can no longer sit on the work table to get attention!

Since I needed to go out for groceries in order to make dinner tonight, I started my foray out of the house with a stop at Otto Cake for dessert. There was no line when I arrived and there were a lot of choices, including Mexican Chocolate! I also got Li Hing Mango, Peaches & Cream, and Strawberries in White Chocolate.
The Instagram post with todayʻs choices.
I forgot to take a photo as soon as I got home; I remembered after 1 slice was eaten.

My main goal was to go to Kokua Market to get supplies as well as make a delivery of jabon. I let Abdul know I would be gone for a few weeks; I told him if there were any jabon when I returned I would bring them in. I also asked if he needed rosemary; I will be dropping some of that off on my next visit. Because of the news about meat shortages, I have been checking their meat case; it has been fairly well stocked most times. I think that is because they carry local meat products. I decided to pick up 2 packages of local ground beef on each visit & freeze them; then I will always have what I need to make that great chili from Easy Everyday Keto! It will also be there if I want to try the Kim Chee Meatball Soup.

Kokua did not have portabello mushrooms or tomato paste in a tube so I had to go to Foodland to find those. While there I also discovered they had microwave pork rinds! I sent a photo to The Roommates and told them it was in the chips & popcorn aisle.
It would have to be on the top shelf! I can just barely reach the lowest bags.

For dinner I made Hearty Beef Stew with Cauliflower & Mushrooms from the Easy Everyday Keto cookbook. Like the other recipes I have tried from this cookbook, it is broke da mout!

We donʻt have a Dutch oven so I tested the largest casserole dish to see if it would fit.
The Molokai beef browned and ready for the next step.
Sauteing the onions & portabello mushrooms.
It will stew for 2&1/2 hours.
I used this again to rice some of the cauliflower which is added in the last 30 minutes.
Dinner is served!

There were no COVID-19 cases reported for Hawaii County today. And all cases there have now been released from isolation! There are now no known active cases on the island. Winner! Maui & Kauaʻi counties also have no known active cases.


There was 1 new case of COVID-19 reported today; it is on Oʻahu. Deaths & hospitalizations have remained the same. About 89% of the cases have now been released from isolation.



About 2.7% of the population has been tested.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Darla!

No comments:

Post a Comment