Monday, February 11, 2019

One Week to GAR

Only one more week to the Great Aloha Run; if I'm not ready now, I never will be. I have been proactively icing my knees every evening. I don't feel any more tired than usual; in fact I usually get up before my alarm wakes me up. We will just have to wait and see what happens next week.


It was 61 degrees F when I arrived at Maunalani this morning. So it was a little warmer then yesterday.


Steph and I spent about half of our morning walk together on the same route; we had a great chat about a number of things. We split up on Lurline at Monterey; Steph went downhill, I went uphill. Near the top I ran into Lynnette again; we had seen her at the very bottom of our route near Lurline and Sierra earlier. I'm not sure why we stopped but we had another great chat! It turns out Lynnette's husband's family is from North Kohala; the Niuliʻi Camp to be exact. Although I didn't recognize the family name, I probably know some of the family members by sight. Lynnette thinks that Uncle Kazu might have been a classmate of her husband's since he would have been the same age as Uncle Kazu; I have taken down some names to ask Uncle Kazu about them when I visit in April. It's a small world!
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Sixteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
This confused Kolea tried to look for bugs I might be flushing out of the pavement.

Mother Nature has answered my question yesterday about whether to stay on the side of the road that the tree was on or the opposite side of the road where the wind was blowing towards. It appears the wind must become much stronger to overcome the downward pull of gravity.
Here's the tree that started it all.



Dad had eaten only about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich this morning; it still had the crust on it again. He had not touched the papaya and there was no banana since they were not available today. He drank all 240 ml of his Breeze. Later CNA Frances helped him brush his teeth; I am hoping this becomes a welcomed habit with him.

Today's mid-morning walk was so different from yesterday's mid-morning walk; it was warm & sunny with just a light breeze! In the middle of my walk Suzette was driving by, she stopped to say "Hi!" I asked if she had a chance to see the post about her garden but she doesn't get on blogs so she asked if she could see it on my phone. She pulled over and got to read about her garden. CAUTION: At the end of this post is a sexually-explicit photo of something I saw during my mid-morning walk!



Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend vegetables, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. Dad didn't eat any of his lunch or drink his Breeze.


I made an appointment today for Dad to go to see Dr. Azuma; he has a tooth that needs to be pulled. We will have him transported via wheelchair because they won't be able to get a gurney in to their work area. Dad will be moved to the exam chair as soon as possible, then tilted back to take the pressure off of his okole; hopefully that will work and he can handle the entire appointment. I also asked if we could consult with Dr. Azuma on the pros & cons of pulling all the rest of his teeth and having dentures made for him.

I went up to the 3rd floor landing to make the arrangements for Dad to see Dr. Azuma. While there I noticed I could see the new house being built on Lurline; I can't see it from the 2nd floor landing.


Dad decided to get out of bed to see Lynn, Gloria, & Myra play the ukulele, sing, & dance this afternoon. I was able to get him out about 15 minutes before they started, so he spent a short time out on the lanai listening to them practice.
Watching while they practice. L to R: Myra, Lynn, Gloria, & Dad.
At the performance. L to R: Dad, Uncle Larry, Myra, Gloria, & Lynn.

Dad stayed in the wheelchair through dinner so he ate in the Orchid Dining Room tonight; he finished all of his 1/2 egg salad sandwich and his 240 ml of Plus vanilla; but he didn't eat the dessert. I skipped the dinner this evening; the main entree was Shrimp fried rice so I decided to pass and just eat my bag of salad. Last night I ate the Avocado ranch salad; it was a little bit too much after having dinner at Maunalani.


Since he was up for dinner when the cart arrived, by the time he was done getting back in to bed and brushing his teeth it was still relatively early. I left to go do my last walk of the day and there was still at least 10 minutes of civil twilight left. The walk was peaceful and the clouds waited until I was back at the car before it started drizzling.
Fourteen minutes before the end of civil twilight.
One minute after the end of civil twilight.

When I got home I found that the cat tree had arrived! It's pretty big. S'mores loves it; Luna is not quite sure of it yet.


I have finally run out of options for my LifeProof Frē case for my phone. Since Samsung discontinued the Galaxy S5, LifeProof stopped making the case and they now have no more in stock. So I can't get my broken case replaced (for free). But its not that bad; its the little door for the charging port that is broken. I have the door taped to the case so it still snaps shut but it can't be trusted to be waterproof any more. It will still protect the phone from shocks from falls so that's still good. I found out when I do upgrade to a new phone, LifeProof will give me a discount on a case for the new phone! Still a winner!

I ordered 2 sets of the Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger, Anker Quick Charge 3.0 Wall Charger, and Co2Crea Hard Carrying Case for the Anker PowerCore 26800 through Amazon. It told me the PowerCore portable charger could not be shipped to Hawaiʻi; so I am having everything shipped to Kai and will pick up my set when I visit at the end of the month. Not sure why it can't be shipped because I am allowed to carry it on the plane with me when I return. While it is larger than most portable chargers (it is 17 ounces), on one charge it can charge a phone over 6 times, a tablet at least 2 times, and can sit idle for several months & still work for you. It has ports to allow for charging up to 3 items at the same time. It was recommended by Kai's techie friends.

I keep forgetting to mention that I finished the Harry Dresden audio book Cold Days while I was sick in January. More recently I finished listening to Cold Case which was a short story. The last full length audio book I have right now is Skin Game. The 16th novel, called Peace Talks, is not finished yet but has been written up to Chapter 43. If I finish Skin Game before Peace Talks is out I guess I will just go back to the beginning and listen to them again.

Cold Case is one of the short stories in this collection.

CAUTION: SEXUALLY EXPLICIT PHOTO at the end of this paragraph!!! There are several crown flower bushes in the neighborhood. Crown flower is one of the preferred foods of the Monarch Butterfly caterpillar so that is where the females lay their eggs. And after they hatch out of their chrysalis the adults mate, then go on their merry way. Shortly after I started my mid-morning walk something bumped in to me then landed on the pavement; it was a pair of Monarch Butterflies!
Mating monarchs.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Moni & David!

No comments:

Post a Comment