Thursday, September 16, 2021

He Will Be Missed

I woke up to find that my friend Eric passed away over the weekend. The email had actually come in yesterday but since I was working I did not see it until this morning. I will miss him. I interviewed Eric for the KSER 90.7fm & Communities of Color Coalition (C3) collaborative radio show Color Commentary when he became the first person of color to be elected as a Superior Court Judge in Snohomish County. I also sat with him through many NAACP meetings & other meetings & events. I fondly remember Eric assigning me to provide the vegetarian main dish for the NAACP Snohomish County chapter's Juneteenth Celebration barbecue when I asked if there was going to be anything for vegetarians; he said it was a barbecue which means real meat. Each year I had to make more of those vegetarian "meat"balls & had to also put up a sign asking the meat-eaters to wait until the lone vegetarian in attendance (not me) had a chance to eat his fill before they started on the "meat"balls; there were never any leftovers. My sincerest condolences to Beth and their sons Joel, Jared, Ben, & Peter.

Eric Z. Lucas, 04/16/1954 - 09/11/2021 (Photo by Everett Daily Herald)


I got an IM from Kai this morning. Early this morning. I'm pretty sure he was at work, most likely sitting at the ferry dock on his way to Whidbey Island. After driving my Outback for a year & a half or so he finally discovered that there is a control to lower the seat so he could more easily see out the windshield! You would think he would have figured it out earlier since there is about a foot of difference in our heights!  


I made another lau ʻuala proothie this morning. This time I added a scoop of almond "sort of" butter. It was supposed to have been almond butter but the almonds in the grinder were not very oily; the butter came out more like crumbles. It is not spreadable but can be easily spooned in to my proothie. 

Almond crumbles.

I took this photo to send to The Potential Most Favorite Roommate; he's the one that buys the paper goods. But I forgot. So he's going to pick up a pack tomorrow. We should be fine for a couple of days.


After lunch I picked up carriers from Laura at the Zoo. There were 7 that I took over to Feather & Fur for the Hawaiʻi Wildlife Center. I had gotten the message through Heidi so I told Laura to feel free to contact me directly if they needed carriers taken over to Feather & Fur.


When I returned I made a batch of keto-friendly Double Chocolate Cookies. I was supposed to use almond milk & melted coconut oil but I had neither so I substituted soy milk & melted ghee. They had a nice buttery taste so I think that was an allowable substitution.

I decided to see what would happen if I did not flatten them.
They did not spread as well as I had hoped.
I flattened them while they were still hot.

For dinner I had shakshuka with cauliflower rice. Forgot the photo again. Auē!

I have several screenshots of the Aix weather app today; I wanted to see if their rain forecast would change during the day. For both Honolulu & Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day with it being heavier in the earlier parts of the day. It was kind of a bust for Honolulu; I only experienced a couple of very weak sprinkles. Kapaʻau was also drier than Aix forecast, in fact, Honomū only recorded 0.05 inches by  9:25 a.m. and did not get more throughout the day. Hilo, though, was very wet today. For Marysville, Aix forecast partly cloudy skies all day with light drizzle in the late evening; at least for the daylight hours it appeared to be accurate. Tomorrow, though, looks like it may be a very wet day in Marysville!

Look what's coming up for Marysville!
Kaimukī looking westerly at 9:25 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 9:26 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 9:27 a.m. HST.
A very wet Hilo looking northerly at 9:45 a.m.
Kaimukī looking northerly at 12:53 p.m.
Pali Highway looking northeasterly at 1:18 p.m.
Kaneohe looking southwesterly at 1:48 p.m. If it's going to rain, it will be on this side. It was dry.
The rainy season in western WA is coming!
 

The surf along the south facing shores is dropping but the east facing shores are predicted to be increasing along with northwest swells. The Surfline live cam that I have been using for the north facing shore is having problems so I am using the Ozolio live cam in the meanwhile.

Laniakea (N) at 3:38 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 9:45 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 3:48 p.m.
Waikoloa (W) at 9:46 a.m.

There were 588 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 73,856. There were also 8 new deaths reported today, bringing the number of fatalities up to 679; currently there are 8533 cases considered to be active. As of yesterday there were 1,947,776 doses of vaccine administered making 65.9% of the population fully vaccinated and providing 74.3% with at least one dose. There are 340 patients that have been hospitalized with 81 in the ICU and 65 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 412 with a positivity rate of 7.8%. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Linda & Winky!

No comments:

Post a Comment