Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Kīlauea Erupting Again!

*I had written about half of this post with brief notations for the other half; although a couple of videos had been inserted, no photos had been although they were all downloaded to the laptop. Then on 10/09 the laptop decided it had enough with my ignoring its warnings about not enough memory & quit working. I got it back up & running on 10/14 but discovered I had lost the photos from September & October, hence the limited visual stimulation in this post.

At about 3:20 this afternoon lava began erupting from Halemaʻumaʻu crater. It had been preceded by hundreds of mainly shallow, small magnitude earthquakes since the previous evening. (And I had some great screen shots form the live cams at the Kīlauea summit, too!)


The Volcano Notification Service that I subscribe to was a little confused by the eruption. A notice issued at 3:09 p.m. (and emailed out at 3:35 p.m.) said there was a lot of earthquake activity indicating magma was moving under ground. Specifically, they said, "At this time, it is not possible to say with certainty if this activity will lead to an eruption ... However, an eruption in Kīlaueaʻs summit region ... is one potential outcome." A 2nd notice issued at 3:42 p.m. (emailed at 4:29 p.m.) said, "Kīlauea volcano is erupting. At approximately 3:20 p.m. HST ... HVO detected glow in Kīlauea summit webcam images indicating that an eruption has commenced ... imagery shows fissures at the base of Halemaʻumaʻu crater ..."

I filled my morning time with making another batch of low carb, keto friendly Double Chocolate Cookies. I think the translation might be Kuki Kokoleka Nui, although that means big chocolate cookie. Or maybe it would be Kuki Kokoleka Kokoleka? Each package of cookie mix makes a dozen cookies; 1 cookie is 1 serving. I store them in the freezer since I only eat 1 per day.

This afternoon we were supposed to do outreach & education at the Kanehili subdivision of the Kapolei Hawaiian Homestead. But shortly after 10 this morning I received an email from Gloria, the event was cancelled. Although no explanation was given this morning, there was discussion last evening about whether they were able to find enough street captains to go with each teams today. I will have to wait & see if it will be rescheduled.

I watched the pilot for iZombie during lunch; it is sort of a police procedural show. The premise is that Dr. Olivia "Liv" Moore attends a party to try to fit in at work & becomes a victim of a zombie attack that occurs during the party. The series takes place in Seattle; the party was on a boat in Lake Washington. Since the attack she has quit her job as a medical resident at a local hospital & now works in the King County morgue; which allows her to have access to brains which she eats occasionally to prevent her from becoming stupid & full zombie. When she eats a brain she temporarily gains some of the memories of the person which aids her in helping a new police detective in solving crimes. The chief medical examiner becomes an ally & is working on a zombie cure.


I had dinner at my usual time but I neglected to take photos since I was watching the live coverage of the eruption at Kīlauea. That was a lot more interesting than my dinner! (I would have lost them anyway.)

There were 230 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 78,874; the new cases have been fairly steady at around 250 or so for the past few days. There were also 13 new deaths reported, increasing the death toll to 770; currently there are 5388 cases considered active.  


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Amy & Isaiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment