Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Maluʻohai Hawaiian Homestead O&E

This evening I volunteered with the PHNs doing vaccine outreach & education at the Maluʻohai subdivision of the Kapolei Hawaiian Homestead. I was on the team led by Christine; she had also worked in the vaccine clinic at LCC. Other team members were Abelle & Joey; both are from the Hawaiʻi National Guard. We were joined by Kawika, a homesteader & board member who would introduce us to the residents.


The protocol for today was slightly different than last Friday when we were in the Kaupeʻa subdivision of the homestead at the invitation of the Kapolei Hawaiian Homestead community board of directors. Today the homestead street captain would be the 1st person approaching & ringing the doorbell. Apparently last Friday an anti-vaxxer took a screenshot from a Ring video of one of the PHN canvassers & was spreading all kinds of nasty rumors about what was happening & outsiders trespassing on homestead lands. So for our team, Kawika made the 1st approach, introduced himself, then us; one of the PHN team would be there with him with the handouts & to answer any questions. All total I assisted Kawika at 14 homes; of those 3 declined to talk to us & no one was home at 2. Of the remaining 9, all eligible people were vaccinated in 8 households. These numbers were similar to last Friday.

I forgot to turn app on when I left the car so it is a little shorter.

I had another plain proothie this morning.


I got a little sidetracked while grabbing screenshots of the weather today. Somehow flamingos got in the way! I had them embedded on my screen for a while; there is also a microphone so you can hear all the ambient noises plus their vocalizations.

It is early evening in South Africa; they are getting ready to sleep.

I had intended on attending the COCA Call What Clinicians Need to Know About the Latest CDC Recommendations for Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Booster Vaccination this morning. But when I tried to log in nothing popped up. I even tried using the link in the email I received around 4 this morning & nothing worked. I tried about 15 minutes after the hour & still nothing. I know I have the right time since I added it to my calendar in Eastern Time and let Google Calendar translate it in to my time. I even checked an hour later & found nothing. Auē! I guess I will just have to go on later to check out the recording on their website.


When I stepped out of the computer room to use the bathroom before the COCA Call I found that one of the cats is having a bathroom problem. Fortunately I spotted it before I stepped in it. After I discovered the COCA Call was not opening up, I cleaned it up. When I was done I checked & the COCA Call was still not working. 


Who is the culprit? They are all looking so innocent! Later in the evening The Roommates discovered some brown marks on the bedding of the bed where Luna spends most of her time; based on this circumstantial evidence we believe it was Luna.

Keala.
Luna; not in her usual place.
S'mores.

Later in the morning, I got an email about another COCA Call; it will be on Evaluating and Supporting Patients Presenting With Fatigue Following COVID-19. The Zoom call will be on Thursday at the same time as today's call; I hope it works because I would really like to hear what they have discovered about long COVID.


I checked on my test again today right around 11 a.m. or 2 days after the swab was taken. It has been received! They say I should hear back by Thursday either by text or email. 


At lunch today I finished watching the last episode of Lucifer; I think it was a good ending. It wraps up the current series but leaves enough room for a sequel. I now have a choice of watching the iZombie series that Kai put on my watch list or watching The Legend of Dragon Pearl that I found while looking for something else. There are 76 episodes of iZombie & 90 episodes of Dragon Pearl. I think I will start with iZombie since it is shorter & available on Netflix which I only have access to here; Dragon Pearl is on YouTube which I would be able to also get on Hawai'i Island.

The protagonist, Liv.

There was a package waiting for me when I got home; I was not expecting anything. It turned out to be 2 medium scrub tops. Though the return address just said State of Hawaiʻi Department of Health & there was no note inside, I'm pretty sure it was from Marjorie since I had seen Ciza in person; he was the only other one on the email about the tops. I will have to return them next Monday when Ciza is back in the office.


Dinner was about 3 hours late tonight. I usually eat dinner about 5 p.m. with dessert (1 low carb, keto friendly double chocolate cookie) about 6 p.m. Then at 7 p.m. I have my high protein snack to quell my late evening cravings. Today they kinda all blended into one long eating period since I got back around 7:30. There are no photos; I was too focused on eating.

Later in the evening I got an email from Gloria about tomorrow's outreach & education event; it will be at the Kanehili subdivision of Kapolei Hawaiian Homestead.


About a week ago I made an impulse purchase, which is unusual for me. There is a company that is selling off their current stock & moving to online purchases with items to be made when ordered; a sales model change due to the pandemic. I had seen a video of this earlier so now I was unable to resist the 78% off plus free shipping! What did I buy? It is a windmill art piece.


Some criminals are not too bright. This guy was caught stealing on the video camera he was stealing! At the very least he should be wearing a mask for COVID's sake! And he looks straight up at the camera. Auē! 


The Aix weather app forecast drizzles in Honolulu until early evening when it would turn to rain. It turned out to be mainly partly cloudy skies until late afternoon when the intermittent drizzles began & continued later in the evening; we did not get any precip during the outreach event. In Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain until midafternoon then a few hours of partly cloudy skies with rain returning in the evening. The local paper forecast scattered showers with a 50% chance of rain; there was no precipitation recorded at the Honomū weather station all day. For Marysville, Aix forecast rain all day with it being heaviest during midday. The traffic cam that I usually use was pointing straight down at the overpass again so I checked out cameras south of it & found one later in the day with rain on the lens although I never saw the intense rains Aix predicted.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:16 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:16 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 6:17 a.m. HST.
Marysville looking southerly at 1:09 p.m. HST.
Marysville looking northerly at 1:09 p.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking southeasterly at 2:38 p.m.; light drizzle.
Kaimukī looking northerly at 2:55 p.m.; dry again.

The swells all around are small so all shores are experiencing small surf. For north facing shores I am switching to providing a screen shot from the Surfline live cam at Banyans; at least you will be able to enjoy the niu if there is no surf action!

Laniakea (N) at 6:21 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 6:21 a.m.
Waikīkī at 6:22 a.m.
Kahaluʻu Bay (W) at 6:25 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:25 a.m.; much better view!

There were 240 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 78,644. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 757; currently there are 5631 cases considered to be active. As of yesterday, over 2 million vaccine doses have been administered! The 2,000,996 doses are providing 67.8% of the population with full vaccination; 76% have received at least one dose. The 7-day average of new cases on Oʻahu is 227 with a positivity rate of 4.5%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Mr. Kalaukoa, Dorothy, Hannele, & Sheryl!

No comments:

Post a Comment