Tuesday, September 7, 2021

UPF 50 Sleeves

When I was doing the vaccine outreach & education event last week with the PHNs, my partner Gwen had on a pair of sleeves to keep the sun off her arms. I got home & ordered a pair of UPF 50 sleeves from Coolibar; they were having a sale so it only cost me $13 & shipping was free! Winner! I got the USPS Tracking text after lunch today that said they had arrived at the mailbox. I was concerned about the fit because the sizing said the bicep end of the sleeve had a diameter of 3&1/2 inches; I decided to give it a try anyway because the men's size said the bicep end was 11 inches. My bicep is 11 inches so I figured the sleeve must stretch enough. It did stretch & it fit nicely.

It has loops for your fingers to keep the ends down.

I made a proothie with the frozen lau ʻuala again; this time I broke the piece up into about 5 pieces. It fit in the blending cup better than yesterday.  


I took so long to finish my proothie it was lunch time before I knew it! So I just ate a quesadilla. And watched my daily episode of Lucifer. SPOILER ALERT: God is retiring!


Just after lunch I got a text from Heidi; she asked if I could take carriers from the Zoo to Feather & Fur. But it turned out she never got the message that I picked up a bunch of carriers right after I got back & took them over to F&F.


For dinner I finished off the venison chili from last night. I again ate it with an andagi.


There is a new invasive weed that has been found on Hawaiʻi Island. It is called devil weed (Chromolaena odorata) and has been found in Hilo & Puna. It is considered one of the 100 most invasive plants in the world. Besides taking over pastures it is also toxic to livestock. I will have to find out more about it & how to identify it so I can be on the lookout for it in the pasture behind the Kohala house.


The Aix weather app forecast rain here in the morning diminishing to a light drizzle until midafternoon when it would become partly cloudy; it was actually partly cloudy most of the day. For Kapaʻau Aix forecast rain in the early morning & evening with drizzle the rest of the time; the local paper said there was a 40% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station showed partly sunny skies in the morning & by 6:44 p.m. had not had any measurable precipitation. For Marysville Aix forecast partly cloudy skies throughout the day with rain starting just before midnight, which seemed to be accurate. In western Washington the joke is that the Rain Festival starts in September & goes through May; I really haven't seen the start yet.  

Honomū looking northerly at 8:55 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 8:56 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:45 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:45 p.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 6:46 p.m. HST.

Once again the south shores have the best surf conditions with the east shores having something. There was not much that I could find on the north shore cams in spite of the forecast.

Chun's Reef (N) at 8: 56 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 8:58 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 8:59 a.m.
Waikoloa (W) at 8:59 a.m.

The sun was in the right position for these photos of Kīlauea caldera. These are the clearest I have seen that show the drop down block & other cooled features and the corresponding heat signature in the thermal image. Usually I am looking at the photos after the sun has been up a while & heating up the dark surface so things are less clear in the thermal image. The very hot spots seen on the thermal image are chimneys that are allowing hot gases to escape from the underground magma chamber.  


There was a magnitude 7.4 earthquake in Mexico. It did not generate a tsunami


There were 499 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 68,764. They did not mention any glitches with the automatic lab reporting system so hopefully this is the start of a downward trend in new cases. Some information I have read says Delta tends to burn out after about 4 to 6 weeks because it is so infectious it races through the vulnerable population faster than the earlier Alpha variant that was dominant last year. Its high infection rate is also scaring people in to doing what public health officials have been urging: get vaccinated, practice physical distancing, wear a mask, & wash your hands. We shall see.


There were no new deaths reported so the number of fatalities remains at 626; currently there are 11,265 cases that are considered active. As of yesterday there were 1,899,029 doses of vaccine administered, providing 64.4% of the population with full vaccination and 72.6% with at least one dose. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 477 with a positivity rate of 8.1%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Leno, Charlene, & Grey!

No comments:

Post a Comment