Thursday, September 9, 2021

Should You Get the Flu Vaccine?

After I moved back home, I started getting the flu vaccine annually to keep Mom & Dad safe; I did it last year to both keep Dad safe as well as minimize my chances of going to the hospital for anything. I plan on getting it again this year so I can avoid going to the hospital. This morning I attended the COCA Call 2021-2022 Influenza Vaccination Recommendations and Guidance on Coadministration with COVID-19 Vaccines Zoom class. The bottom line is that it is safe to get the flu vaccine as long as you are not allergic to any of its components. It can be given at the same time as the SARS-CoV2 vaccine; the shots should be administered at least 1" apart and can be given in different limbs. Here are some key slides from the Zoom class.


I discovered in the morning Keala will sit at the living room window, watching The Potential Most Favorite Roommate as he smokes his morning cigarette. She will sit there until he is done, then she bolts from the window & races to the door. I doubt that she is concerned about his health in this time of COVID (it's one of the risk factors); I think she is hoping he will feed her when he comes back in to the house.

 

Today's proothie is ... lau ʻuala! I think I had enough for 10 bags. Which would be 20 proothies; almost a month's worth. (I fast on Sundays.)


For lunch I had a quesadilla made with a corn tortilla. They're smaller so I eat less. As long as I stop my self at one.

After lunch I heard a truck pull in to the garage; I wasn't sure what for. When I peaked out the door I saw a US Postal Service truck had backed in to our driveway so I went out to check. The driver did not ring the doorbell, by the time I got there he was pulling out of the driveway. It was 2 big boxes for The Potential Most Favorite Roommate.


I also got an email after lunch about working for the Department of Health through a temp hiring agency as a Case Investigator or Case Monitor. After the experience losing my voice when I spent too much time talking I am wondering how much talking each of the positions does. I think I will apply and ask questions if I get in for an interview. 


I did not get notified to help with the vaccine outreach & education today (or Tuesday). Since the remaining days for the outreach will only be for about 2 hours each day for 1 day a week, I decided I will work the normal days for OmniTrak (Sunday, Wednesday, & Friday) for the remainder of the month.

Google said I was out of storage again. So I spent about 30 minutes deleting old photos. I forgot to take a photo when I first started so I don't known exactly how much I deleted but it did show I had freed up some space & the annoying message went away. I will slowly work on deleting more photos until they are all out of Google Photo, where I had never put them in the 1st place! (I checked & there are no new photos going there.)

Close to when I started.
When I finished.
A little more detail on the actual amount of space.

For dinner I had the remaining Shakshuka. I sort of forgot to take a picture but took one anyway. I have looked up a couple recipes & it seems easy enough to make at home so I might try it one day.

Well, it's better than nothing!

I watched Skindigenous Episode 9 Iqaluit this evening. It is a documentary series about indigenous tattooing traditions around the world. Tonight's episode was about traditional Inuit tattoos that were done by women on women. 


FYI I paid more attention to what the newly reattached crown feels like when I am brushing it. And I did not get the the same sensation I did before the crown fell off. So I will have to pay attention the next time I feel that sensation.

I sent Bruce & Monava a Happy Anniversary text; it's their 21st anniversary. For this marriage. They were married earlier but that one only lasted 3 years. It looks like the several years they spent apart helped make this time work out better! They apparently took nā moʻopuna & went fishing for humpies (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha); they did really well! Everyone caught a fish & one was even 8 pounds which is large for a humpy.

The top one must be the 8 pounder.
One of the lures they were using.
Murphy with his fish; he's the only one I have met.

Anne sent me information about a really cool concept for storing solar energy, called Energy Vault. During the day the concrete block is raised up; after dark the block slowly goes back down, turning a turbine in the process & generating electricity.


The Aix weather app forecast partly cloudy skies for Honolulu but no precipitation until after dark; it was quite accurate today. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain in the early morning then no rain until midafternoon & going through the evening; the weather station at Honomū recorded no precipitation for today. The local newspaper prediction of 40% chance of rain was probably more accurate. It looks like Aix was also accurate for Marysville in forecasting partly cloudy skies throughout the day.


The surf on the south facing shores was again the best for today. I managed to take screenshots both in the morning & afternoon today; there was not much difference. I think I will only provide one set of shots for the day.

Not seeing that north pulse at Chun's Reef at 7:35 a.m.
There's a little bit along the east at Hilo Bay at 7:35 a.m.
The reliable south swell at Waikīkī at 7:36 a.m.
Waikoloa (W) at 7:36 a.m.
Still nothing at Chun's Reef (N) at 3:23 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 3:23 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 3:25 p.m.
Waikoloa (W) at 3:25 p.m.

The Department of Education reported that as of August 30th, 89% of their teachers & staff are vaccinated. That is higher than the general population. Hulō e nā kumu! 


There were 429 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, raising the total known cases to 69,573. There were also 7 new deaths reported, bringing the death toll to 633; currently there are 10,582 cases considered active. As of yesterday 1,911,540 doses of vaccine were administered providing 64.8% of the population with full vaccination; 73% have received at least one dose. There are now 398 patients in the hospital with 93 in the ICU and 71 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 411 with a positivity rate of 8.0%.


Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo makahiki iwakālua kumamākahi e Bruce & Monava! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo makahiki  iwakālua kumamākahi e Pierce Sensei & Mrs. Pierce!

No comments:

Post a Comment