Thursday, September 23, 2021

Waimānalo Hawaiian Homestead O&E

This afternoon I volunteered for the Public Health Nurses Outreach & Education event at Waimānalo Hawaiian Homestead. It has been a while since I have been in Waimānalo; I was not familiar with Ka Hoʻolina Na Kuhio, group that was hosting us.

The building we met in.

I was on Team 7 along with PHN Derek, PHN Yumi, & JJ; I originally met Derek at the LCC vax POD when he was overseeing the post-vaccine area & I met JJ at the beginning of September at the Nānākuli O&E event. Derek & I worked as a pair while Yumi worked with JJ. Derek & I went to 64 out of the estimated 122 houses in our assigned area & made contact with 24 households, plus a driver for TheBus whose stopover we happened to walk by. Of the 24 households we contacted  only 2 declined to talk to us; of the remaining 22 households in all except 2 everyone who was eligible was vaccinated! Hulō!

Team 7's area is outlined in red.
My actual walking route.
I can't understand why the start  end elevation are not the same.

It rained on us for a very short, intense squall that passed through the area. We could see it coming across the water; Derek, who lives in Waimānalo called his girlfriend Karen who brought a couple of umbrellas over for us. Even though Karen got to us in about 15 minutes, the clouds were faster & got to us in about 10 minutes. We took shelter under a large porch overhang at a home we happened to be canvassing.

The weather is moving in rapidly.
A few minutes later it was right overhead!
But there wasn't enough rain to wet the drainage channel.

In my lau ʻuala proothie this morning I added a square of dark chocolate. I only had 1 scoop of protein powder left & I usually put in 2 scoops. Until my new container comes I will use either okara or a hard boiled egg for added protein along with 1 or 2 squares of 90% cacao dark chocolate. FYI The dark chocolate square does not blends very smoothly; cacao powder would be a better addition.


Later I volunteered for another HFD testing event at Aloha Stadium; it is this coming Sunday. I will get tested that time. 


On my way back I stopped in to see Jane; I had called her from Waimānalo to check if she was comfortable with me stopping by. We had a great visit!

I also stopped at Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha; I wanted to pick up some natural li hing powder. But they were all sold out right now so I left empty handed.

For dinner I had Tofu Bites and Mushroom Artichoke salad.


After dinner I got an email about signing up for what days I would be available in October for MRC events.  


Did you know that cats sleep 16 to 18 hours a day? That's  why most of the photos you find in this blog are of sleeping cats! Luna & S'mores almost always have their eyes at least partially open because they are flightier than Keala; they were fully closed before I approached them for the photo.

Keala.
Luna.
S'mores.

Later in the evening, while I was on my way back from Waimānalo, DT sent a group text out. He heard a commotion in the Roommates' bedroom and found this. She would not let him remove her so he left her up there. (Luna will scratch & bite when she does not want anyone near her.)

Naughty Luna! (Photo by DT)

The Aix weather app forecast rain through midafternoon for Honolulu then drizzles for a couple of hours before returning to rain. There was no rain or drizzle in the morning but in the late afternoon scattered showers started coming in all along the windward coast. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain throughout the day; the local paper forecast isolated showers with a 20% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station had recorded 0.01 inches by 6:12 a.m.; I did not collect any data later in the day but the local paper appeared to be more accurate. For Marysville, Aix forecast partly cloudy skies all day; that appeared to be true.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:12 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:12 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 6:13 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking northerly at 11:36 a.m.
Passing Makapuʻu Lookout looking easterly at 4:36 p.m.
Near Kaloko Beach looking southwesterly at 4:39 p.m.

The surf along most shores was small but is anticipate to be increasing later in the week.

Laniakea (N) at 6:14 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 6:15 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:17 a.m.
Waikoloa (W) at 6:18 a.m.

There is a low pressure are that has formed southeasterly of us. Conditions are marginally conducive to it becoming a tropical storm; the forecasters say it has a 10% chance of doing that in the next 48 hours.


There has been much discussion of the Crisis Standards of Care and triage; I think there has also been a lot of misunderstanding. There is a difference between the triage that occurs when you walk in to the emergency room and disaster triage. What the Crisis Standards of Care addresses is disaster triage, which by definition means there are not enough supplies, equipment, or trained personnel available to treat all the victims; generally this is due to a catastrophic event such as a hurricane or earthquake. The Governor, LG, county Mayors, Dr. Char, & other medical professionals, as well as FEMA, are doing all they can to keep us from sinking in to a situation where disaster triage becomes a necessity. But we all need to do our part as well & do the right things like getting vaccinated, wearing a mask, avoiding large crowds, & maintaining physical distancing from those not in our bubble. Here are diagrammatic representations of the decisions that will be made if we have to implement disaster triage. Below are the 2 most commonly used methods in the US, followed by the color coding method; for most people applying the color coded tags is the most difficult thing to do in disaster triage.

Please do your part so we donʻt have to do this when people enter the hospital.

There were 445 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 76,966; case counts are going up again. There were 12 new deaths reported today, increasing the death toll to 738; currently there are 7117 cases considered active. As of yesterday 1,979,534 doses of vaccine have been administered providing 67% of the population with full vaccination and 75.4% receiving at least one dose. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 284 with a positivity rate of 5.7%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bruce, Ron, Mike, Christopher, & Kito!

No comments:

Post a Comment