Thursday, July 26, 2018

Ass One Beeg Buggah!

I did the sheets from the Kohala house last night. When I went to hang them out this morning I found a humongous caterpillar! The pen it is next to in the photo below is 5-1/2" long, the barrel is 3/8" diameter, and the cap is 7/16" diameter. I think it is the larval form of the Pink-spotted Hawkmoth (Agrius cingulata), whose caterpillar is described as, "large and stout and have a horn at the end of the abdomen". They also feed on sweet potato leaves, which I have in the garden nearby where it was found.

The horn at the end of the abdomen.
The poor sweet potato plant that has been severely munched on.

Lunch today was Beef stew, Steamed rice, Garden salad, & Tapioca pudding; there was no Cream of broccoli soup on my tray although it was listed on the menu. But that doesn't matter, usually I do not eat the soup since it is so bland.


I forgot to mention yesterday that Uncle Larry returned! I  visited him today, he is staying in his bed right now. He seemed to be a bit melancholy; looking at his picture wall & talking about old friends he missed. He asked me to talk to his wife and handed me the TV remote instead of the phone that was nearby. I picked up the handset & found that there was only a dial tone; I made believe I was talking to his wife. (She came by a couple hours later.) I hope Uncle Larry cheers up again.

It drizzled lightly during my morning walk; I saw 2 guys down at the park by their work trucks. They later showed up at Maunalani; the one I spoke to said they were there to work on the roof. It was dry at the mid-morning walk but spritzing at the shift change walk in the afternoon. At first Curtis sounded surprised that I walked in the afternoon, then he remembered that I used to live in an area that had always rained every time he visited & realized the amount of precipitation that was coming down today was nothing compared to what he experienced when he visited Washington. I told him the big difference was the temperature; when you get rained on here you are not likely to get hypothermia, unlike in Washington. 

The Zumba classes for the staff at Maunalani are now on Mondays & Thursdays at 4 pm. RN Ramona was peeking at the class (she works at that time) as I left today; I joined her to watch them. The Zumba instructor & RN Remy, who is in charge of the 2nd floor, invited me to join them. For tonight I was not prepared, I will try it on Monday. I did tell them that I was uncoordinated so would probably do poorly. I also need to see if my other Skechers will work without hurting my knees because I certainly can't do Zumba in hiking boots!

This is what I have to put up with when I allow Shiro in the bathroom when I take a shower. Xander liked to also sleep on the bathmat, but since he was about twice as heavy as Shiro he covered much more of the bathmat.

No comments:

Post a Comment