Monday, July 23, 2018

The Replacement Phone is Here!

The replacement phone arrived around 1:30 this afternoon; I was home since I had things to do this morning. (More on that later.) I don't remember the previous replacement phone arriving in the condition this one did; it had no battery and no back cover. There was an instruction sheet directing me to a website to back up contacts, etc., on the current phone; then later wiping the current phone & transferring things to the replacement phone. I don't remember doing that the last time. One problem is that the current phone is needed to initiate the transfer. The directions specifically say, "In order to transfer content, both devices must be in working order."

So I popped the Samsung brand battery into the replacement phone to charge it; I had to take everything to Maunalani since the battery was not charged by the time I had to relieve Curtis. When that battery was done I put the charged Samsung battery in to the current phone & put the knock-off battery in to the replacement phone; I am essentially using the replacement phone as a battery charger right now. And since there is only one back cover, I put the current phone into the Life Proof case to keep the battery from falling out & to protect the innards of that phone. I waited until I had 2 fully charged batteries so I had 2 "operational" phones per the instructions. I wonder what I am supposed to do if I had totally wiped out the current phone like, for example, taking it for a swim?
The current phone in the LifeProof case, note how you can see the battery since there is no back cover.

I immediately ran in to a problem; I couldn't get the SIM card out of the current phone! I Googled and found a You Tube video; but pushing on it with my finger didn't work at all. So I read the comments; the most helpful one was to use a piece of tape to help pull it out. That worked! (Yes, I keep tape in my backpack.) After putting the SIM card into the replacement phone, I went back and followed the instructions again. However, when I was done I checked and had no photos and 868 contacts were missing! I also had no Calendar info.

I headed to the Verizon store as soon as I left Maunalani. Jimmy used the Samsung Smart Switch app to help me get almost all my Contacts back; I am now only missing 18 and I know who 1 of them is. I think I got all the photos back; it took a while but I now have most of my calendar events back, too. It also restored my Big Island wallpaper, which I thought I had also lost.

This morning I picked up 3 birds at Feather & Fur Animal Hospital: a Manu-o-ku (Gygis alba), a Wedge-tailed Shearwater (Ardenna pacificus), and a Pueo (Asio flammeus sandwichensis). It's a good thing I have a station wagon! My trusty Subaru and its Wet Okole seat covers was full of birds! Unfortunately I have no photos for you since the knock-off battery was almost dead by the time I picked up the birds; then it died before I got to the airport. The Pueo is a repeat passenger; it had been at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center (HWC) but needed to go back to Feather & Fur to be operated on. Hopefully, it can now remain at HWC until it is released.

Happy Birthday to Nga & Jacob!

No comments:

Post a Comment