Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Visit With Sheryl & Randy

Last night there was a message on the house phone, Sheryl was wondering if she had the right number for me. The voice sounded a little familiar but I couldn't quite place it and the number was not in my phone. I was going to call back this morning, but before I could I got a text from Stephanie. I had sent her a photo of Big Bertha that she was responding to. She also said Sheryl was trying to reach me. It turns out Sheryl & her husband Randy are on O'ahu for a few days before they go to Kaua'i. Sheryl & I (along with the wives of 2 of our co-workers) were pregnant at the same time; the 4 kids were born within a couple weeks of each other. We got together for dinner after they returned from their around-the-island tour. Sheryl had the Mahimahi, Randy had the Duroc Baby Back Ribs, Kai had the Kulana Ranch Burger, and I had the Kalua Pig Enchiladas. Judging by the leftovers, they were all good.
L to R: Randy, Kai, Sheryl.
Mahimahi.
Duroc Baby Back Ribs.
Kulana Ranch Burger.
Kalua Pig Enchiladas.
We were too full to order dessert, but they sounded good, too.

On the way out to Kapolei to meet up with Sheryl & Randy we listened to more of "Fool Moon", the 2nd Harry Dresden audiobook in the series that we started listening to when we were in Michigan.  Since Honolulu has the worst traffic in the nation it took us 65 minutes to do a drive that normally takes30 minutes, so we had a lot of time to listen.
Apparently the control buttons on the touch screen of the Subaru work better than the ones on the rental Altima. (Photo by Kai)
Wonderful Honolulu traffic! Seven lanes bumper to bumper for several miles. (Photo by Kai)

For breakfast this Tuesday, we decided to check out the new Rainbow Drive-In at Kalihi; the original one is just down the block from the house. The 2 places have different menus. Curtis had the Breakfast Special, Kai and I tried the Sweet Bread French Toast, which doesn't come with any meat. I think I need to order some protein whenever I try a breakfast that is primarily carbs. Kai also had a Green River soda with his breakfast.

Breakfast Special.
Sweet Bread French Toast.
Green River.

After breakfast, Curtis showed Kai the changes since February when he last visited. Kai said the wall at the old edge of the house was still intact then. I took photos of the changes since I had last seen it on the Tuesday before I went to Obon; there was a new bathroom floor and the air conditioning units had been installed.


On the way back from breakfast I took Kai to West Marine. During my previous visit I had noticed some shirts with cooling technology built in to them. I got him a Cast Away ZERO Knit Long Sleeve Shirt. We're going to see if that will keep him more comfortable in the heat and sun while he is here. Besides the Omni-Freeze ZERO Sweat-Activated cooling technology, it also has Omni-Shade UPF50 Sun Protection, Omni-Wick Advanced Evaporation technology.

Dad was in the Namaste massage when I got up to Maunalani. I set him up on the 2nd floor lanai for lunch; there was a very nice breeze keeping things cool. Since I wasn't here on Sunday I don't have a menu schedule for this week. And even though they repeat the menu every 5 weeks I don't have the menu for the previous Week 2; that was when I was in Michigan. So here's my description of today's lunch: Chinese-style steamed fish, Steamed stir fry vegetables, Tossed salad, Soup, & Almond float.


Kai came up later in the afternoon to visit with Dad. I also gave him a tour of Maunalani and showed him the great views as well as introduced him to Popokilani.
Kai is wearing the Cast Away ZERO Knit long sleeve shirt with the Omni-Freeze ZERO cooling technology.


After leaving Maunalani we went to the Apple Store; Kai insisted I needed a new laptop since mine is having problems. I got a new MacBook Pro, it was the same price as a regular MacBook. Photos of my new laptop will be in tomorrow's post; we did not have a chance to play with it because we went to dinner with Sheryl & Randy.

At this morning's weigh-in to see how much I had gained over my short little trip, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had a 0.0 pound change in weight! It's the next best thing to finding out you lost some weight! Another surprise is that my center of balance is even. It has taken me 6&1/2 months of being really close to being exactly even to get here!



I only made one walk today. Mainly due to logistics, not the fact that I didn't gain any weight. I didn't find any new birds or see any interesting old ones. And I didn't run in to anyone I knew. I did find a tree that I want to identify; it appears to be the predominant tree in the small forested area.


Happy Birthday to Ella!

No comments:

Post a Comment