Wednesday, July 18, 2018

New Laptop

I bought a new laptop yesterday; it's a MacBook Pro 13" (without Touch Bar) (2.3GHz dual-core, 128GB, 8 GB RAM). Today Kai tried to switch all the things from my old laptop over to the new one. It's supposed to be faster than my old one, which I thought was fast enough; Kai says its not the speed that was the issue. He says it is getting ready to fail; so even though I back it up every 10 days or so, he wanted me to get a new one before it failed catastrophically. The outer dimensions are just a tad bit smaller than my old one so it's a little lighter; the screen size remains the same, 13". FYI The MacBook 12" (1.2GHz,  256GB, 8GB RAM) and this MacBook Pro were the same cost, so my tech guy (Kai) advised me to go for the one with the better processor. (He advised against the MacBook Air because I tend to destroy flimsy electronics.) Only thing is, I have something on my old laptop that is quite large and I need to get the other MacBook Pro with 256GB memory. Auwe!
Laptop and adapter for external hard drive.
This is about as far as Kai could get with installing all my files on the new laptop.

FYI I have had my external hard drive that I back things up on at least since December 12, 2014. Kai says it should be replaced after 3 years, so I am due for another one. He will do that on his next visit.

Last night we had dinner with Sheryl & Randy; we stayed very late. So I decided not to go to sleep since I needed to call Vivian at 1 am our time. Margaret called me yesterday, Vivian took a turn for the worse. The hospice nurse told Margaret that this type of sudden change was typical with lung cancer; they do not expect Vivian to last much longer. We called & had a very brief conversation with her; she sounded very tired & dozed off twice while we were talking to her. I'm glad we got to visit with her last month when she was doing much better.

During my early morning walk it was lightly drizzling the entire time. My Columbia Sportswear PFG shirt with the Durable Water Repellent treatment did a great job keeping the rain off of me. And it was dry by mid-morning. During my afternoon walk it was overcast but dry; I saw a Cattle Egret, I think it might be one that hangs out at the park all the time, it was not spooked by me and casually walked along as I walked by about 10 feet away. I also saw a pair of Saffron Finches who were equally calm when they saw me walk by, also about 10 feet away.
Saffton Finches (Sicalis flaveola).

Dad was up and "eating" breakfast when I arrived. He went to the morning exercise session and did a little bit. The Namaste session was not in the usual room with the recliners so he didn't want to do that; he complained about his okole being sore so we put him back in bed instead.
Dad at the exercise session.
 
I was able to get a menu schedule today. Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Tossed salad, Peanut butter bar, & Chicken gumbo soup.


Kai went to Maunalani to visit Dad again. He also got to meet Mrs. Iseri; I had mentioned to her yesterday that he was coming to visit and she wanted to meet him. She was very happy to see him. Mrs. Iseri is one of the residents who is still very sharp; after his last trip to Las Vegas she surprised Curtis by asking him how well he did on his trip when she saw him after he had returned. I would not be surprised if she remembers Kai on his next trip; chances are, he will have forgotten who she is.


We are keeping up Dad's tradition of taking visitors out to dinner the night before they leave. I asked Kai if he wanted to go to Coldfyyre or Via Gelato for ice cream after dinner. He wanted to go to one before and one after! Because The Potential Most Favorite Roommate got off work at 7 pm, we went to Coldfyyre first; it's closer to where he works and closes earlier than Via Gelato. We drove separately and met The Roommates at Coldfyyre; we were right behind them when we drove in to the parking garage. Kai tried the Lilikoi, The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes tried the Cookies 'n' Cream, and I tried the Green Sea; it was surprisingly good for being made out of Salicornia sp.
Clockwise from top: Cookies 'n' Cream, Lilikoi, & Green Sea.

For dinner we wanted to try Kan Zaman, but although we found reviews from last month, we also found Yelp reviews saying the Kaimuki location was permanently closed. We decided to check it out, but had a back up plan to go to another nearby restaurant if it was closed. It was, so we went to Himalayan Kitchen. We had some of the dishes we had the last time (Himali Platter, Himali Bread Basket, Butter Chicken, & Keema Matar) and added Indian Style Mixed Biryani, Saag Madras & Mango Chutney. Once again it was all good!
Himali Platter.
Himali Bread Basket.
Butter Chicken.
Keema Matar.
Saag Madras.
Mango Chutney.

For 2nd dessert we went to Via Gelato. Since it was near closing time we took everything to go. The passengers (Kai & The Roommate Who Likes to Do Dishes) got Earl Grey & Fierce Chocolate and ate in the car on the drive back; the drivers (The Potential Most Favorite Roommate & I) got Rose Milk with Super Matcha Tea & Dark Chocolate Sorbet to eat later.
L to R: The Potential Most Favorite Roommate, The Roommate Who Likes to Do Dishes, & Kai.

Happy Birthday to Aunty Michi & Rachelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment