Friday, July 27, 2018

Cooke Street Diner

We did Tuesday breakfast on Friday this week. Originally we weren't going to do breakfast this week since Curtis had a commitment on Tuesday morning (& I went out to eat dinner a LOT last week) but a friend needed help early this morning so we did breakfast this morning. One problem though, we were starting an hour earlier than usual so there were fewer options; I turned to my Phone That Is Smarter Than Me. I Googled "breakfast places that are open now" and one of the options was the Cooke Street Diner. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place with 5 tables inside & 1 outside that was occupied by construction workers in their safety yellow shirts. Curtis had the Kim Chee Portuguese Sausage Breakfast and I had the CSD Loco Moco. It's very 'ohana-oriented & was constantly busy while we were there; we were the only ones who were new to the place. Ken talked with everyone while his aunty took orders; he said she's 89 years old & working at the diner keeps her sharper than when they leave her at home. We'll have to come back and try their lunches; but I'm sure it will be very busy so we'll have to come early.
In front of the diner with Ken.
Menu.
Kim Chee Portuguese Sausage Breakfast. (Photo by Curtis)
CSD Loco Moco.

We finished breakfast early enough for me to also do my morning walk; I pondered not doing it because I had just eaten. But it was too early for Dad & I only ate half my breakfast (portion control!), so I decided to try it; thinking if I started to feel any discomfort I would turn around even if I hadn't made it to the park. I was able to do the entire walk with no problems! And along the way I discovered the person driving by who waved at me a few weeks ago was Kelly & Abby; they were just leaving the parking lot when I got there so this time I was able to really see who was driving. When I returned to Maunalani, I also got to see one of the local chickens that wander through the grounds.


On most Fridays, Lynn comes to play ukulele with Gloria. Lynn is Dad's 442 buddy Walter's daughter; Walter was at Maunalani until he passed away a couple years ago. Lynn also comes on Monday evenings with her friend Myra; sometimes they stay for dinner. Dad will make an extra effort to get out of bed to go and see Lynn; she is one of his last connections to his old friends from the 442.
L to R: Gloria & Lynn.

Lunch today was Pork fried rice, Pacific vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Fresh strawberries, & Egg drop soup. Dad tried a piece of strawberry but that was it for solid food at lunch.


My friends sent me some old photos. Darla sent me some photos of when Kai & I went on a hike with her; I think that was to Lake 22. Carole sent a photo of me in my chest waders, checking out the dead animal in the lake they live on; it was a river otter.
Kai was about 5; I think this was on our way to Lake Twenty-two. (Photos by Darla)
Looking for the dead animal. (Photo by Carole)

Happy Birthday to Rachel! And Happy 5th Anniversary to Eleta & Trish!

No comments:

Post a Comment