Monday, June 15, 2020

No More Shade

About a month ago, about a couple days after I arrived on Hawaiʻi Island, I got a text from The Potential Most Favorite Roommate. He said, "So sorry your hard work got ruined" They had to cut through the shade cloth I had put up a few days before I left because Luna had climbed between the shade cloth and the netting to confront the stray cat that comes around to fight with her. She couldn't figure out how to get back out and was yowling for help; they had to cut her out. I think I'll let it stay that way for now.


The orchids in the area were in various states of health. The orchid that Calvin gave us seems to be doing well. The last orchids that Mom grew are sort of doing OK; there are 4 small starts with new growth. But the last orchid that Mom was given as a gift looks like it has died; I found it toppled over. I think I will take a few more starts to the Big Island and put them in Grandma's anthurium garden. The 2 that are there now are doing well.
L to R: Mom's last gift orchid, orchid from Calvin, & the last orchids Mom grew.
Other orchids that Mom last grew.

I also checked on the papayas; the new sprout on the 2nd plant that we had topped broke off some time while I was gone. I think I will select a new sprout closer to the base of the trunk so that it grows more upright by the time it gets taller than fence.
The new tops for the 2 plants to the left broke off.
Here's the broken top for the middle plant.

The ʻalula (Brighamia insignis) and other native plants I have are doing well. But the bromeliads I moved to the front wall are struggling; they're drying up in the Kaimukī heat.
ʻAlula.
Struggling Neoregelia bromeliads.

I also checked on the pomelo, mango, and guava trees. Although there were a bunch of dropped pomelo in the front yard there were still a few in the tree. There are green fruit on both the mango and guava.
Pomelos on the lawn.
Pomelos in the tree.
Guava and mangos.

I got up 6 minutes earlier than yesterday in preparation for my sunrise birding walk.
Seven minutes before sunrise.

I had ordered a mask that has a pocket in it to hold a PM 2.5 filter before I left for Hawaiʻi Island; it arrived here a couple days before I returned. I also ordered 30 replacement filters. According to the Brave New Look website where I ordered it from, the filters can be used for a week before needing to be replaced. I got them for The Potential Most Favorite Roommate; he is the only one who currently has a job where he is face to face with people during the work week.

Filter partially in the pocket of the mask.

Around lunch time The Potential Most Favorite Roommate texted, "I'm thinking about going on a keto diet too I'm getting fatter" We talked about it more when he got back from work. He noticed today that he was needing to pull his dress shirt down a lot today to cover his belly! He said this last month he realized he was gaining weight; unlike his previous job, he was now sitting all day. I shared my Pizza Topping Casserole with them tonight.


I got an email today accepting me as a member of the Big Island Medical Reserve Corps. Now I am part of 2 Medical Reserve Corps groups; which one I am working with will depend on which island I am on when a call comes out for volunteers.

I watched the live interview with Governor Ige; he was talking about what type of things they are in the process of putting in place so people can travel here. Testing prior to getting on the plane is the preferred solution due to the maximum number of tests that can be done in the state (5000) vs the usual number of tourists arriving daily (30,000). The other problem with testing visitors once they get here is what to do with people who test positive when they step off the plane; where do they go for quarantine & who pays for the quarantine? Right now the target date to have things in place so the 14-day trans-Pacific quarantine can be lifted is the end of August.
L to R: Ryan, Yunji, & Governor Ige.

Yunji & Ryan also interviewed Dr. Thomas Lee representing the Hawaiʻi Data Collaborative. He is also a epidemiological modeler for the emergency management agency. He said the 14-day quarantine is what is currently providing the best protection for the state. Testing with the PCR 72-hours before landing here is predicted to have a positive impact on keeping COVID-19 minimized. But after being tested there are 3 places where a person could still be infected; at the point of origin before getting on the plane, on the flight itself, and after arrival. An actual case with a military unit showed even with best testing practices there is no way to mitigate the risk down to zero. Quick contact tracing was key in keeping spread minimized. Need lots of support for contact tracing.
L to R: Ryan, Yunji, & Dr. Lee.

Dr. Lee also said education is key; its everyone's responsibility to minimize transmission. If you are feeling sick contact your PCP by phone first; then follow directions from the medical professionals. He also said every immunologist expects there to be higher numbers as things open up. What is important is looking at clusters rather than absolute numbers; one cluster of 50 is more manageable than 5 clusters of 10 people.

He also explained about the rate of transmission (R0) and how the 6-foot rule, masks, and quarantine work. Currently, COVID-19 transmission rate is 2 to 3 people per infected person. Staying 6 or more feet apart can help protect you from transmission but shouting & loud singing can project droplets beyond the 6 feet that can then also be spread by hands. Masks help by reducing droplets being spewed out. The goal is to get the R0 number below 1 so the number of new cases per infected person starts to decrease.

There were 8 new cases of COVID-19 reported toady, bringing the total up to 736. There were no new deaths but there were more hospitalizations. A little over 85% of the people were released from isolation. The health department has changed their graphics.






Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Sherry & Christina! Four years ago today is when I moved back; it is also the day Momo disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment