Thursday, March 19, 2020

Working From Home

No, not me; The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes. Today was his first day working from home. He said it was difficult since when he was done with his tasks he had to really focus on finding something else, whereas at work he had nothing else to do except work! I think his assistant was a little bit of a distraction.
S'mores helps The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes with his work.

One of my fellow walkers is an ER doctor; this morning I asked him about my trip to the Big Island. Kai seems to think it is not a good idea for me to go since I would need to be in an enclosed space (plane) with potentially sick people. But I think it would be okay since exposure is small because the plane won't be full and it is only a 45 minute flight. Once I get there I can easily distance myself from other people. The Doc agreed with me that I would be safer since it is easier to practice social distancing there; though he did recommend wearing a mask on the plane, like we had Mom doing when she flew. In Kaimukī, which is 1.991 square miles, there are 19,117 people giving it a  population density of 9,600 people per square mile. North Kohala, on the other hand is 132.0 square miles with a population of 7013 people for a density of 53 people per square mile (July 2007 stats). Much easier to practice social distancing! Another thing The Doc recommended was if I begin to experience symptoms to return immediately because there are more medical resources available here; I had not thought about that, I think I'll listen to him. Normally if the Kohala Hospital can't support a patient's needs, once the patient is stabilized by the ER, the patient is transported 45 minutes by ambulance to the North Hawai'i Hospital in Waimea. If they can't handle it, the patient is airlifted to O'ahu via a 45 minute flight. (The City-Data site has some great stats about COVID-19.)

As I said earlier, I can easily distance myself from other people once I arrive on Moku o Keawe. Except for Grey; he arrived at the house today. Our time at the house will overlap for 1 or 2 days. I don't expect there will be a problem, he has been on a COVID-19-free ship for a while (not a cruise) and will have been in isolation for a week before I arrive. Since most people begin showing symptoms 5 days after exposure, if he has it he should be showing signs before I get there.

On the news tonight, 10 new COVID-19 cases were reported for a total of 26 cases; all have been identified as travel-related. I'm not sure if any of these are also from Kualoa Ranch. With further testing, there should be more cases showing up which will give us an idea of how widespread COVID-19 is here. So far there have not been any mortalities; if those begin to spike then we're in trouble.

Proposal from the Lt. Governor who is an ER doctor.
Only 24 ICU beds are on Hawaiʻi Island which is why The Doc says to come back immediately if I have symptoms.
Not good when the medical staff needs to be quarantined for 14 days.

During my drive up this morning I saw RN Robin as she walked from the bus stop up to Maunalani. Later during my sunrise walk I saw The Surfer getting ready to hit the waves. As I was finishing my walk I saw Ona & Rio in the distance headed down Sierra and Vince as he was headed off to work. As I was on my way home I saw Ken with Toto & Chico passing by the parking lot and PT Jason as he was getting out of his car.
Four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Thirteen minutes past sunrise on Sierra.
Once again I follow the garbage truck down the hill.

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate and I made a trip to Kokua Market. I made my weekly pomelo delivery to Abdul; then did my weekly shopping. Each week I try to buy something from their self-serve hot bar; this week I thought it would be closed due to the COVID-19 restrictions but it wasn't. They have changed it so it is no longer self-serve; staff dishes it up for you. I got some Meatball Marinara; I had it for lunch with the Tofu Shirataki Noodles. The Roommate got a Chicken Gyro and Loco Moco; I forgot to take photos of those. I also picked up a couple containers of Blue Cheese Crumbles to add to my casseroles. I also picked up a head of cauliflower today; I am going to make Mac 'n' Cheese Cauliflower for the roommates.
The non-self-serve hot bar.
Meatball Marinara with Tofu Shirataki Noodles.

The bromeliads are blooming! I saw the tiny flowers just poking above the water in the central cup. I think the plants I have are Neoregelia carolinae, Blushing Bromeliad. One of their characteristics is the center turning bright red when it is blooming, hence the name 'blushing'. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's poinsettias have also set some fruit.
Neoregelia carolinae.
Poinsettia with seed capsules.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Suzi, George, & Zach!

1 comment: