Monday, October 12, 2020

Indigenous Peoples' Day

From an indigenous culture group I belong to on Facebook:


Today is the 1st day of the Unicorn Challenge! Yes, you heard this before, like last week. But starting on a day that was not Monday messed me up since all the charts and planners begin with Monday. I took all my measurements again and resent all that info in. Here's the Day 1 video I watched to get started.

 

I made a proothie with kohlrabi greens this morning before heading out for my sunrise walk. The kohlrabi greens did not affect the flavor; I think it is one of the milder tasting cruciferous vegetables.

I add water, swish it around, then drink the residue. Don't want to waste any of it!


I headed up for my walk even though it was raining when I went to get in the car; it had been raining on & off earlier in the morning and I was hoping it would rain itself out by the time I got there. I put the proothie in cooler with some ice packs and also took along my water bottle. It slowed down a little but it never stopped so after waiting for 15 minutes or so, I went home. On the way home I saw Lynnette, Mary, & Noe headed home under their umbrellas; they're hard core!

Raining at 6:07.
Raining at 6:11.
Still raining at 6:20.

 

I made a quick stop at Longs to see if I could find milk thistle tea or tincture; the clerk I asked had seen it but we could not find it today. So I went to see if the chicken chips had arrived; no luck there either. But I did find Microban 24 in an aerosol spray which makes it easier to spray down door knobs and handles; right now I have to wipe them down which is much slower. I also found a flax seed-chia mix that I needed for breakfast. Even though I decided not to do the 28-day Meal Plan, Lisa recommended everyone do the One Day Detox on the first day. That involved having Liver Tonic Berry & Seed Granola for breakfast; for that I needed hemp, chia, and flax seed, plus berries and almond or soy milk. I initially only had chia seeds before my find at Longs. When I finally made my bowl it looked like there was either too much almond milk or not enough berries and seeds. I think next time I will reduce the amount of milk to 1/2 instead of 1 cup.

Where are the blueberries?


Here's the Rule of Thumb eating plan that I am on. I like how she has broken everything down for me; makes it easier for me to use the things we have or are getting, like in the CSA box.


Here's what it would look like if I was doing the 28-day Meal Plan. I would get one chart for each week and all of the recipes that go with the charts. This one below is for meat eaters; she has similar ones for vegetarians and another for vegans.


Anthony from Terminix showed up at mid-morning; he was there to check the bait stations. It was kind of interesting to see Keala's reaction to him. She was out in the cat run when he came around from the front side of the house to check bait stations along the south side of the house; she growled and stared at him. As he worked his way closer to the cat run she moved inside but she was still watching him. Then he left to work his way around the other side of the house; she could see him from the window & growled again when he showed up near the gate in to the cat run. There are 2 bait stations inside the cat run that Anthony needed to check so I unlocked the gate as Keala moved away from the sliding door and went to play in the jack-o-lantern. After he left she cautiously checked the cat run before she went out the cat door.


After Anthony left I went to Kokua Market to get a zucchini to make No-Cook Courgetti for the detox lunch; I also looked for milk thistle tea or tincture without luck. When I go to Kokua I like to check on what is at the deli; today I picked up some roast chicken thighs and Vegan Poke. I also found a vegan protein supplement that was on special, marked down $10! (And it wasn't near the expiration date either!) They also have mai'a starts for sale!


I also checked out the beans and other produce from Rancho Gordo. I had been thumbing through The Rancho Gordo Heirloom Bean Guide the other day and wanted to see what Kokua was now carrying; they only had 2 varieties when I first checked their display. Now they had a lot more! Since I can eat way more calories and carbs on my Feast days I think I will make a dish with the Yellow Eye Beans that I had picked up earlier. 



I made the No-Cook Courgetti for lunch. Next time I will leave out the red onions or use really mild onions like Maui Onions; the onions were still biting back after I blended them. I would also use only 1 garlic clove, not 2 like the recipe called for. Besides blending olives in the sauce, I would also coarsely chop more and stir them in after everything else is blended. I used the Nutribullet rather than a food processor for the sauce since I don't have a food processor.


David replied to the email I sent him yesterday about the 63 day wait for the birth certificate. He mentioned that I could also use a Social Security card for ID! I got online and found I could fill the application out on line and they would send me an email! Yay! So I filled it out. Then waited for the email; they said it could take up to an hour. No problem, I thought, I can wait an hour to get the replacement social security card. When the email arrived I discovered it was not the card. It was an application they had filled out for me! Auē! I can do that myself. Not only that, but I had to print the form, sign it, and send them the original of 1 of 3 acceptable forms of identification. An original. Like in my driver's license which is the only ID I have on me right now! And no information on how long it would be before I got anything back. But I did notice the mailing label they sent me was for a local office, so I looked up the number and called. But today is a Federal holiday so they were closed. Auē! I will have to call tomorrow. Stay tuned!

The free gift was a booklet telling me about Social Security benefits.
Original ID's only; no copies accepted!


For dinner I made a Green Coco Smoothie; this is the final meal for the One Day Detox. I substituted raspberries for strawberries and kohlrabi greens for the spinach & celery. I was surprised by the color; it looked nothing like the photo. But then, I wondered, why wouldn't the lycopenes in the strawberries color the smoothie red as well?

The Green Coco Smoothie? I think they mean "green" as in "not ripe".
I am now thinking photo is of the Green Goddess Proothie instead!


This morning when I was making my proothie, I unearthed that the scoop that comes with the protein powder; it is a lot bigger than the scoop I was using. About 3 times bigger! I shall use the proper scoop from now on! I shall also now start checking what size a serving is when I can't easily find the scoop in the can and substitute with another one.


Feel good part of this post: My friend Terri has started a new blog! Check it out here.


Pzifer has modified its vaccine protocol for the large scale trials it is now in the middle of. Good idea! They are adding youner subjects to the study, specifically 12 to 15 year olds. In September they expanded to add 16 & 17 year olds and people with hepatitis B, hepatitis C, & HIV. They also have significant numbers of people of color as well as those between 56 and 85 years old. It's nice that the drug companies have finally realized there are more than just middle-aged white men living in the country!


The controversial Acellus on-line learning is being phased out. There were apparently a lot of problems with inaccurate and just plain sexist & racist content. And that doesn't even get to the wrong information about Hawai'i and Hawaiian history. (I haven't seen it since I don't have a child in the school system.)

 

A billionaire that has a second home on Hawai'i Island has arranged for a million medical masks to be delivered to Hawai'i Island. Marc Benioff wants to make sure masks are available on the island; he has arranged for weekly shipments of 70,000 masks to be distributed to the public at COVID-19 testing sites and other venues. It's great to see that some people with lots of money are not afraid to spend some of it on people with less; this is the 2nd large donation he has made.


Mayor Kawakami from Kaua'i is still advocating for a 2nd test for incoming travelers; his original proposal for a 2nd test was denied. He is trying to develop another plan to help keep the county's case load low & keep residents safe.



This is from the contact tracers Facebook page; it looks at the concept of excess deaths. In this instance, it is specific to the COVID-19 pandemic. It might help explain to some about how COVID-19 is affecting the population. The dotted lines on the graph are the normally expected deaths for the particular age group based on past data; in this case an average of the previous 5 years. The solid line is the death rate in 2020. Notice the difference; those are the excess deaths caused by COVID-19.


There were 42 new COVID-19 cases today for a total of 13,514 known cases. There were no new deaths reported today so the we remain at 169 total deaths. The O'ahu 7-day average was 75 with a positivity rate of 3.7%. There were 2564 active cases with a release rate of 81%.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Griffin!



No comments:

Post a Comment