Thursday, October 22, 2020

Life in Tier 2

This morning at 12:01 am Oʻahu moved to Tier 2 of the reopening strategy. Changes include being able to eat at a restaurant in a group of 5 people that includes those not within your household, going on helicopter tours at 50% capacity, being able to go to gyms & fitness facilities at 25% capacity with classes  limitd to 5 people indoors and 10 outdoors, and a few others. About the only thing that changes for me with Tier 2 is the restaurant part; now I can go out to lunch or dinner with my high school and diving buddies! But only 5 of us at a time.


I woke up really early this morning; like really early. Grey and Nova were live streaming a performance on Arka Kinari from Bali at 8:30 pm on the 22nd in Indonesia. Which I think meant 2:30 am our time on the 22nd. I couldn't find it; so I may have gotten that wrong. Auē! Or perhaps I wasn't able to stream it on my phone. Unfortunately, it was not recorded so I can't go back to look for it; which is why I was up at 2:30 this morning trying to watch it.

 

I had another beet greens proothie this morning. I also use the stems of the greens since the Nutribullet minces them up small enough that their fibers are easily handled. Today large bobs of spirulina powder and protein powder stuck on to the sides and I had to dislodge them with a spoon and blend the proothie again. I have to figure out the best order in which to add the ingredients so that they won't do that.


There was twice as much sediment in the soy milk bottle this morning. But then I also had twice as much soy milk in the bottle than when I took that other photo.


Today is Day 11 of the Unicorn Challenge (Week 2 Day 4); it is a Regular Calorie day (~1600) with Beginner's AMRAP for 6 minutes. There were 2 new routines today; they actually were introduced on Tuesday when I skipped the workout because my fingers were still a little tender and I did not want to accidentally let go of a kettlebell and send it flying! I was able to do 4 complete sets of the goblet squats, double clean push press, & triceps extensions, and 5 complete rounds + 4 reps of the swings in 6 minutes. I wonder how many I could have done if I had not skipped Tuesday? I think I was slower on the double clean push presses because of the number of steps I had to remember; again, a coordination thing. I'm a little sweaty but not breathing hard. Also feeling a little tenderness in my pectoralis minor; I think that was from the triceps extensions. Here are the Double Clean Push Press and the Triceps Extensions.


The orchid dropped one more flower this morning. It now has 2 dried flowers still hanging on and 2 live flowers.

The holdouts, hanging on.


For lunch I finished off the chicken in tomato sauce that I got from Kokua Market & made a salad with a couple radishes & hakurei turnips from the CSA box. I like the hakurei, they were mild and had very little bite, unlike the radishes. The radishes looked like the French Breakfast variety that is supposed to be milder than most other radishes but these weren't. 


It rained again after lunch, though not as much as it did the other day. It did not flood the cat run today, just kept things gray and moist.


For dinner I heated up some unohana and added some bacon bits; I also had a salad topped with beet spirals that I had sprinkled with a little vinaigrette and a few kalamata olives.


Here's today's Tesla graph. I took the screen shot a little after sunset. The day looks like it started to get cloudy, possibly rainy, about midmorning and got increasingly cloudier and/or wetter throughout the  afternoon. FYI the 17.6 kWh is how much excess the system produced; it does not include the amount that went to run the refrigerator or recharge the Tesla battery for the system. It gets sent back to Hawai'i Electric and I get a credit for it that is posted to my account.


My artist friend Lynne has always had wonderful gardens surrounding her home. Where she lives now on the east coast is no exception. She has wonderful artistic sense coupled with an understanding of plants.


Micah is another artist friend, he carves masks and other wooden objects. Here is a mask he is working on.


I honestly have to say, that when I first read this headline I was confused; I was thinking, "But don't all seals want to be shark-free?" I was not thinking the kind of shark-free seal that meant no sharks were harmed in the making of the product. Duh. I did go and check all my sunscreen and found them to be squalene-free; wouldn't it be so ironic if the coral-safe sunscreen was causing sharks to be killed?


This Peruvian comic strip that depicted the inequities between women and men balancing work & home life went viral last year. (I'm a little late.) Various studies have found that working women are still responsible for more of the at home chores than men. I know my ex-husband thought he did a lot more around the house than I did. He wanted us to tally everything up and for me to take on additional work when he 'proved' to me that he did more; I told him I really did not want to waste the time because I knew I did more than he did. (He claimed the reason he had leisure time on the weekend was that I was just inefficient at what I did.) So one day, he made me sit down and write out everything we did, who did what, and how much time it took per week. We agreed on the time spent on each of the items; then we added everything up. He ended up taking over about 3 hour worth of the household chores per week that I was originally doing in order for it to be an even division of labor. Which means I was doing 6 hours per week more than he was, no wonder he had that leisure time on the weekend! I held him to it; after all, it was his idea to evenly split up the household chores. Be careful what you wish for!


I watched the presidential debate this afternoon; it was more presidential than the first debate, but still lacking. I know the late night hosts will be poking fun at the candidates. I wish both candidates were like President Johnson in their understanding of the value of humor. 


There were 102 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total up to 14,335 known cases. Thee were 3 deaths for a total death toll of 206. The 7-day average for Oʻahu was 61 with a positivity rate of 2.7%. There were 1205 active cases statewide with a recovery rate of 79%. The big news is that there are now 34 cases on Lanaʻi, which had 4 cases yesterday and none before that. The big concern is that there is no complete medical facility on the island of 3000; any ill patient will have to be airlifted to Maui or Oʻahu if they need critical care.

 

Here is the header at the top of the Department of Health's COVID-19 Data Dashboard. I had not been including these earlier because I did not think they added anything to the understanding of the graphs. Enjoy it now, I don't think I will be posting it again; it just makes presenting the data more visually difficult. And they still haven't added information about the percent of new cases that are reached by investigators within 24 hours.

 

I'm not sure whether this information is of any use. Although this number and the number shown in the Data Dashboard immediately above are both from the Department of Health, they do not match. Although the notation on this one says this number is updated every Friday, you can see by the date that it isn't really. And if it is updated every Friday why the strange week designation from Monday to Sunday, when it is usually released around Wednesday. I do not know how often the one above is updated or how current the above number. The notation at the end of all the above graphs just provides background information updated as of September 24th, so that's not quite up to date; though a couple of individual graphs give an actual date the information was updated. It's really hard to say when the rest of the numbers were updated.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Mikey!

No comments:

Post a Comment