Sunday, October 4, 2020

Hui ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi

The Duolingo Event, Hui ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi, was today. There were about 15 people and about 3 of us were brand new to the group. The hosts are Iokepa & Anita; they live on Maui and are in their 3rd year of studying Hawaiian. Iokepa leads the discussion while Anita writes additional information in the chat box. Since the group is small compared to the ASUH classes on Mondays, Iokepa goes around the room asking questions and eliciting responses. I like being able to get more time in on actually talking and having to be put on the spot and have to think about my response. I plan on continuing with it for as long as I am able to.

I like how they have color-coded this diagram.


At the end of the event I got an email from Duolingo asking me to complete a survey about the event.


When I went to move my car this morning, I found out I must have been very tired last night when I went to charge it up. I had plugged the charger in to the car all right. But then I forgot to plug the other end of the charging cord in to the outlet! Auē!

Got this part right.

FAIL!

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate was making onion rings when I went out to get my water bottle before the Duolingo Event. It became my lunch before class. They were pretty good but I forgot to take a photo of them.

After class I checked on the nasturtiums and the orchids in the cat run. I also adjusted the water for the planting trough so that it now will come on for 3 minutes every 3 hours. Hopefully that will dry things out enough so that the nasturtiums grow better. I'm glad I didn't throw out the last orchid Mom got as a gift when I returned from Hawaiʻi Island in late July; I thought it had died because one of the cats had knocked it over and the leaves were gone. It now has 3 new leaves! The orchid that Calvin gave us is growing well; I'm waiting to see if it develops another flowering stalk.

Mom's last orchid.

The orchid from Calvin.

For dinner tonight The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made pork larb and pork nilaga; it was a very international dinner! He used some cilantro and some baby pac choi from the CSA box. We also had salad from the CSA box.

Pork larb.
Pork nilaga.

Pork larb with salad.
Pork nilaga.


Marie has been downgraded to a tropical storm; it is still headed our way at about 8 mph. It is expected to continue loosing speed and is predicted to become a tropical depression or remnant low by Wednesday.


I was unable to get to sleep last night; I think I slept too long yesterday in the afternoon after being kept up the previous night by the neighbors next door. I found a series of really interesting videos by Dr. Mike Hansen; he's kinda nerdy and posts shots of the papers he is referring to. I like his videos! I stayed up way too long scrolling through various videos of his. Here's the one that started me down that rabbit hole; it's about 19 minutes long.


Here are his other videos about what's been happening with 45. I think it is interesting to see what this pulmonary critical care doctor is saying about what he sees via the media. As I had mentioned earlier, I was doubtful that we would be given all the information about his condition. The first video below is from Saturday, the 2nd is an analysis of what we have been told today.


Although he said, he got it, 45 didn't really get it; he left his room at the hospital and took a drive around the hospital to wave at his supporters! His windows were up so his supporters were not exposed, but his Secret Service body guards have now become close contacts and will have to quarantine for 14 days! Auē! What will it take to make him realize the danger he is putting others in?

There were 70 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total up to 12,804. There were 3 more deaths reported for a total death toll of 156. The 7-day average for Oʻahu is 82 with a positivity rate of 3.3%. There are 2202 active cases.

It looks like they are no longer including the statewide totals.

The contact tracer numbers of the 2 DOH websites still do not match.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Cathy, Ilsa, & Ananda! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo ʻUmikumamākahi e Kari & Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment