Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Unicorn Challennge

So this is Day 2 of the Unicorn Challenge and I am only now getting around to reading the Personalisation Programme. That's because I only got it today, but that's my fault since I did not fill out the paperwork for it until last night; should have done it during the Prep Week. Better late than never! (In case you're wondering, the training is out of Belfast & led by an Australian. The Internet is amazing at connecting people!)

When I click on the day ...
... it opens up a page showing the dietary plan for the day and ...
my workout, complete with links to videos on how to do it properly.

 

For lunch I had the remaining Invasive Species Stew & Roasted Vegetables that I got from the deli at Kokua Market. According to my eating plan, I need to reduce the amount of red meat in my diet to decrease inflammation, so, for now, no more Invasive Species Stew. Later I may indulge whenever Kokua has a sale on invasive species products.


My friend Carey hurt her hand at work a couple days ago; I found out on Facebook. We chatted for a good long time about it this morning; she was concerned that she had no medical insurance since she had just started working at the place and would not be covered until she was there for a few more months. I was concerned that she would damage it more if she was put in another unsafe situation and instinctively raised her hand to protect herself as she did this time. It was a work injury, so L&I should cover it; but when she went to report it at work, they didn't give her any paperwork & were not supportive. She did finally go to the emergency room this afternoon because her hand was going numb and found it was a very bad sprain, the ER started the paperwork for her. So glad it's not any worse! She needs to stay healthy so she can continue the great work she does with the homeless! (She was not working with the homeless when this happened, she was injured at her paying job; all her work with the homeless is as a volunteer. She is an amazing human being!)


For dinner I had Roasted Chicken and Vegan Poke from Kokua Market. I also cleaned the fennel and roasted the tender portions of the stems; this is regular fennel not Florence fennel so it doesn't have that fat "bulb" at the base. I am keeping the rest of the stems and the feathery tops tops for smoothies. By the way, I just coated the fennel with olive oil and lightly sprinkled it with salt and put it in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes. Delicious!

The feathery greens.

The stems, a bit tougher than celery and hard to chew.

The tender base of the stems; there was a lot more, don't know why I took the photo at this point.
Dinner; clockwise from left: chicken, vegan poke, & fennel.


On the Unicorn Challenge Facebook page, Lisa posted some information about plant foods That helped with depression. One of the plant foods was jabon! I posted a photo under that of our jabon tree which is producing fruit right now. I need to peel one and start adding some to my proothies! FYI If you need to avoid grapefruit due to medication interactions, you also need to avoid jabon.

The late summer crop is not as large as the late winter crop.

Would you pay $49 for a pineapple? How about $49 for a Pinkglow Pineapple? Apparently Del Monte has been working on this for several years. I am wondering, did they get a lot of requests for pink pineapples? Why would you want a pink pineapple??? In the article they say it takes 2 years to grow one, like that is something special and why they have to charge $49 for it. When Dad grew his pineapples, it was about 1&1/2 to 2 years to get any fruit; so no, the 2 years to harvest should not make it any more expensive than a normal pineapple. Apparently it doesn't taste any better than a normal pineapple. You're paying only for the ability to say you have a pink pineapple!

 

I got a lot of humorous posts today.This first one is from Monava (she posts a lot of humorous things).


Got this from my friend Kathy. It's a good thing cats have 9 lives! This guy is really curious about the visitor at the door. I don't think any of our cats would stick around to figure out who was there.


This one is from my friend Micah.


My friend Rebecca, who does work in IT, sent this one. Kai feels the same way that she does about these things.


If this was a free site I would totally sign up for it!


A Nevada man contracted COVID-19 for a 2nd time. And it wasn't just that he had it then it sort of subsided then flared up. They actually tested and found that the genetic code for the virus particles found in the test samples from the 2 illnesses was different. So this means, even if you had COVID-19 you should still wear a mask, keep at least 6 feet from other people. do not gather in large groups, and choose outside venues over indoor venues.


An unexplained illness in a participant in the Johnson & Johnson vaccine trials has caused them to put the trial on hold while they investigate. This is a good thing; this is why large scale trials like this one with 60,000 people are done before a vaccine (or any other treatment) is given approval for use. If the illness is determined to be unrelated to the vaccine, they will continue with the trial.



There were 62 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the total to 13,575 known cases. There were 4 deaths for a total of 173. The O'ahu 7-day average was 70 with a positivity rate of 3.6%. There were 2568 active cases with 81% of people now having recovered.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Kiʻini!



No comments:

Post a Comment