Tuesday, October 27, 2020

New Moves

This is Unicorn Challenge Day 16 (Week 3 Day2); it is a Regular Calorie (~1600) with Beginner's AMRAP for 8 minutes. The new moves are the True Pulls, the Alternating Snatches, and the Double Bicep Curls. During the 8 minute AMRAP I was able to do 3 rounds each of the Swings (15 reps), True Pulls (10 reps), and Standing Snatches (8 alternating), and 2 rounds of the Double Bicep Curls (5 reps). I could tell it was a good amount of workout, I could just feel myself getting to the point of being a little shaky on the Standing Snatches and Bicep Curls; so it looks like the 10# kettlebell was a good choice. Lisa recommends a 4kg kettlebell which is about 8.8 pounds. I could not find a 9# so I went with the 10# since the other option would have been 5# which is way too light. (That's less than one cat!)


I stayed up too late last night and ended up sleeping through my 1st alarm. I almost slept through my 2nd alarm which is the one that lets me know when I need to be leaving the house by in order to be walking by 10 minutes to sunrise. I have found if I start later, the sun is in my eyes for the last 1/4 mile or so and it is also beginning to get too hot to walk. Also a lot of the birds start leaving.

The Unicorn Challenge, and the rest of the Warrior Goddess Kettlebell Training program, coordinates the workout program with nutrition. But I'm not exactly sure which came first, the workout or the nutrition. 


Today is a 1600 calorie day to help replenish my body after the workout. So today I had the leftover Hawaiian food for lunch.


After lunch I also cleaned the hakurei greens for my proothie tomorrow morning. And I also cleaned the hakurei and radish roots for salads. But I didn't cut them; I'm leaving that up to The Roommates.


For dinner I made the Keto Roasted Eggplant & Zucchini Curry again; but I left out the zucchini & added more eggplant since that's what we got in the CSA box. I also cut slits in the edges of the eggplant rounds before I roasted them; I learned that from the last time I made this. Last time I ate it with cauliflower & broccoli rice; this time I used shirataki noodles. I made it a little too hot for me; but The Roommates liked the 3 star heat!

Sauteing the onions from the CSA box, garlic, & ginger.
After the addition of the store bought red curry sauce & broth.
Coconut milk & eggplant has been added.

After simmering; almost ready!
Drying out the shirataki noodles.
Dinner is served!


It seemed to be overcast here for nearly the entire day. It looked to be the same on Hawaiʻi Island according to the Tesla app. There was only 8.6 kWh generated today; this is at the lower end of what I have seen, though the lowest was somewhere around 6kWh. Even at the lowest level it has been able to power the entire house. 


Later in the evening it began to pour. There has been a lot of rain clouds coming up from the southwest and causing a lot of shower activity; at times enough has been forecast that we have been having flood watches on various islands.


Luna wanted to check it out for herself; she came back in about a minute later. She was slightly wet; there is enough of an overhang that usually in a normal rain there is about a 2 four wide area that doesn't get wet unless the wind is blowing.


Apparently cuscus were the first animals domesticated by humans. Well, maybe not domesticated, but people & cuscus have been closely interacting for a whole lot longer than there has been organized agriculture in the world. Cuscus were kept by humans for food, a source of fur, and as pets. And humans apparently took them along when they colonized other islands.


 And now for some humor.


In a University of Kansas study it was found that counties that mandated mask wearing had about half the number of COVID-19 cases than counties that did not mandate masks. The same was seen in Alabama, Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas. So please wear your mask!


Although the requirement for wearing a mask when outside of your residence is currently part of the emergency order, there still appears to be conusion over mask wearing. A big piece has been tourists coming in who think they don't need to wear a mask because the tested negative before they got on the plane. Auē!


On November 6th, flights from Japan will start to arrive here. Japan is the largest source pf international tourists and also has a low rate of COVID-19 so there have been negotiations to allow travel here. On the whole the travel to the Japan from the US had been stopped by the Japanese government. Due to our low rate of COVID-19, the government has made an exception. Similar to travelers from the continental US, travelers must get a pre-travel test 72 hours before flying. When they return to Japan, travelers will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine.


The stay-at-home order for Lānaʻi begins today. Up until a week ago there were no cases of COVID-19 on this island of about 3000 that has no intensive care medical facility. The number of cases continues to rise as officials scramble to test as many residents as possible to break the chain of transmission.

There were 66 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the statewide total up to 14,773. Of those 9 were on Lānaʻi, which now has 87 cases; which is about 3%of the population. There were 3 new deaths reported today, bringing the death toll up to 215. The 7-day average on Oʻahu is 52 with a 2.1% positivity rate. There were 1216 active cases with a 79% recovery rate.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Timothy!

No comments:

Post a Comment