Saturday, October 17, 2020

Mango Proothie

It was delicious! Even though it was green instead of a warm orangy yellow and the protein base was chocolate rather than either unflavored or vanilla, it was still delicious! That 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder just makes everything look green. Just have to get used to it.

I peeled and sliced the mango last night; I only used half of it today.
I put everything together in the morning.


The Almond Cow arrived today! The USPS tracking text I got on Thursday when it left the warehouse said it would arrive on Monday by 8 pm. Then this morning shortly after 1 am my phone started buzzing, it said the Almond Cow had arrived at the post office and would be delivered between 7:30 and 11:30 am. At 8:11 I got a USPS tracking text said it had been delivered to the "Front Door/Porch"; they don't have a category for our actual situation which is the garage door. But there it was! Wow! That was fast!

I really like their logo!


This is Day 6 of the Unicorn Challenge; it is a Feast Day which is why I indulged & use the mango in the proothie since I can do more carbs today. But I am also increasing my workout today; doing 4 to 6 minutes of As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP), which is 1 to 2 more minutes than I have been doing. I decided to take it easy for this 1st day and do only 5 minutes of AMRAP & work my way up over the week. In 5 minutes 1 was able to do 6 sets of swings, 5.1 sets of goblet squats, and 5 sets of halos. (5.1 = 5 sets plus 1 rep). Just to to be clear on how much I did for the workout, I start with about 10 minutes of warm-up stretches, then 3 practice sets of 10 reps for each of the 3 movements where I concentrate on the specific movement. Then I do the AMRAP. All total, with set-up & clean-up, it took me about 28 minutes.


For lunch I had 3 slices of flavor-free pizza; I added a tablespoon of bacon bits to each before I heated them up. I also had a kohlrabi with each slice; they were rather small kohlrabis. It was pretty filling, but I think I ate enough for that meal.

I had 3 of these.


As I was making my lunch, I spotted Keala asleep on the couch in the living room. It did not seem to me to be a very comfortable position.


I took a nap after lunch; one of the features of this training program is self-care. And rest is a big piece of it. So I am trying to be good about taking my mid-afternoon nap again. I was good today. 

After my nap, I went to Kokua Market to pick up soybeans; I also checked the prices of almonds, oats, and coconut to see how they compare to what they cost from Almond Cow. Even though the price per pound here might be more expensive, Almond Cow does not ship free to Hawaiʻi; it is a $25 flat fee for the weight I would be buying. Though saving money was not my primary reason for buying the Almond Cow, I will figure out how much it costs me to make each kind of milk, then figure out how many gallons I will need to make before breaking even.

I'll save a lot of money making my own soy milk.
I'll have to find a price for whole almonds like Almond Cow uses.
This is $0.18 per pound cheaper than Almond Cow's price.
This isn't the same as what Almond Cow sells, they use whole oats.
I'll have to find cashew pieces for the price comparison.
Here are Almond Cow's prices; plus I would have to pay $25 for shipping.


I needed a new pair of sunglasses; the ear pieces of Mom's old pair that I was using were delaminating. Mom's sunglasses kind of wrapped around with tinted panels on the sides to minimize UV rays from coming in without blocking the view; I have been using sunglasses on the advice of my optometrist since I am starting to develop cataracts. I tried Sunglasses Hut first, but they didn't have anything suitable. They suggested Lenscrafter, they also didn't have anything like Mom's but they did have a pair that provided some side protection by having wider earpieces.

With that out of the way I went to Whole Foods to pick up the CSA box; the line to get in was really long. Fortunately, it moved very fast. Later, as I was taking my box outside to transfer the vegetables to my bag, I heard a lady ask if she could go in the "out" door since the CSA boxes were just inside that door. I talked to the staff person that was cleaning the carts; he said he was fine with it but some people weren't, so just ask before walking in. No problem!

The empty produce shelf.
The CSA box.
Bagful of produce.
Here's what we got today.
The fully stocked produce shelf.


Here's a pretty cool post from my friend Tricia about constellations & the Pacific Islander names for them.


 

Now for some humor. I have eaten 14 of these foods; not because I'm Southern, it's just because I like to eat and try new things.

 

When I took a linguistics class in college, I discovered that linguists have determined that Hawaiian Pidgin English (aka Hawaiian Creole English) a distinct language. As such, they say people who grow up learning Pidgin, then learn Standard English are bilingual and have more difficulty coming up with the right Standard English words than someone whose first or only language was Standard English. I guess that explains why I have difficulty sometimes.

I really liked this one, too.


When I was checking in on Facebook this morning I saw a photo that Cathy had posted that was alarming; she lives in Colorado which also has big forest fires like in California & Washington. Previously she had shown a map with a black dot where they were; it was in the pre-evacuation zone. This morning she clarified that the earlier map was when they were in the mountains, now they are at home and safe. Whew!


Some people are really talented. Here's a remake of one of the scenes in Beauty & the Beast with the them wear a mask. It is very well done.



Some people who didn't follow the directions got lucky; they were allowed in without quarantine even though they got tested by a non-approved provider. Due to the long lines a decision was made by the Governor to allow people who got the wrong test to enter without having to quarantine. Another problem encountered was more than one flight arriving at the same time or in close proximity; the State is working with the airlines to adjust schedules to space arrivals out to ease congestion.


Mayor Harry Kim is working on a proposal for testing incoming visitors to Hawaiʻi island. If they are negative when they arrive. Apparently between the time they take the test and when results are returned they must quarantine. Of course, if the test comes back positive, they must also quarantine. The proposal is currently under review, it is hoped to be approved some time next week.



After nearly a month without any new cases Kauaʻi now has a case that is believed to be from interisland spread. There is also a probable 2nd infection related to the inter-island infection. Kauaʻi is also asking residents who travel out of state to get a 2nd test after arriving.


The ASSURE-19 rapid test developed by Oceanit Laboratories is anticipated to obtain FDA approval by the end of the month. The results can be returned in 3 to 10 minutes.



There were 96 new COVID-19 cases reported today for a total of 13,949 known cases statewide. There was 1 new death reported, there have now been 186 deaths. The 7-day average for Oʻahu is 64 with a 3.1% positivity rate. There are 1228 active cases with 80% of people recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment