Saturday, October 31, 2020

Happy Halloween!

Here are a couple of friends in their costumes.

 

When Lynne came to visit me back in 2017, Cousin Ted came to visit, too! Here they are in their Halloween costumes this year.

 

This isn't someone's Halloween mask, but I think it would make a great mask!


This is Day 20 of the Unicorn Challenge (Week 3 Day 6); a Feast Day (~2100) with 8 minutes of AMRAP.


I started with an avocado proothie; but I may have put in too much avocado. After the first blending I added about 100 ml coconut water; then had to add another 100 ml. It was still really thick. I then topped off the jar with coconut water and shook it by hand; still too thick. I ended up using a straw to drink my proothie this morning.

A chunk of frozen avocado.
Oh, oh ... that's kinda thick.
Even after adding as much coconut water as I could get in the jar it was still thick.
The final solution.

The workout today was the same as the one on Thursday; but this time I did the Standing Snatch properly, letting the kettlebell handle rotate in my hand instead of trying to keep it vertical throughout the move. It was a lot easier when I did it properly, but I also went slower so I could make sure I did it right. I basically did the same number of rounds as on Thursday; 4 rounds each for the swings (15 reps), true pulls (10 reps), and standing snatch (4 reps per arm), and 3 rounds for the double bicep curls (5 reps). I felt that slight shakiness at the end that tells me I am near my limit for what I can do; but there was no soreness after I ended. I think I am getting used to this workout. Here's the double bicep curl which I find to be the most difficult to do since my left arm is doing it all alone and there is no momentum to help like there is with the standing snatch where I can use my core strength to start the kettlebell moving upwards against the pull of gravity.


I ate lunch immediately after my workout. I had the last piece of baked tofu along with the leftover rice and vegetables from the Kim Chee II dinner. I also added some pickled cabbage that Lori had made and Korean-style pickled daikon.


I was going to go to Otto Cake after lunch to pick up dessert for tonight, but Lori called. She said it turned out they had enough dessert. And it was probably fortunate that I did not have to go since it started to rain about the time I would have been walking up to Otto Cake or standing outside waiting for the previous customer to leave; their front area is so tiny only 1 customer is allowed in at a time.

No cats on the shelf today.


I had to pick up the CSA box today before we went over to Curtis & Lori's. The email said we would be getting sassy salad, head lettuce, beet bunch, carrot bunch, radish bunch, curly kale, eggplant, cilantro, tangerines, & Tahitian limes. Well, we didn't get any tangerines, but we did get a coconut instead! I'm looking forward to having the carrot and beet greens in my proothies again!


Normally for Halloween we go over to Curtis & Lori's house for a potluck dinner with the neighbors and the 4 families sit out along the driveway giving out candy to the groups of kids that come by. This year it was just the immediate family bubble (8 of us) right at the house; though dinner from Gyotaku Restaurant was a neighborhood-organized affair & desserts were also shared. There were fewer kids coming by tonight but I did not hear the exact amount.

Misoyaki salmon & tempura combo.
Looks like there is enough dessert.
My dessert plate; clockwise from left: pumpkin crunch, Okinawan sweet potato haupia, pumpkin custard pie, & Oreo cookie brownie.


After dinner we watched the Statewide Cultural Extension Program's Live Online Halloween Special for the Fall International Storytellers Series. Cousin Alton was telling ghost stories along with 3 other storytellers. 


I'm glad they found her. But I wonder if Brad was out there yelling, "Stella!"?


I thought this was pretty funny!


Having jumped out of planes over 2 dozen times, I knew that parachutes didn't always work. But I still had one. I also have masks.


There were 68 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the total up to 15,003. There were no new deaths so the  total remains at 219. The 7-day average for new cases on Oʻahu is 49 with a 2.0% positivity rate. There were 1140 active cases with a 79% recovery rate.


They changed the header on the COVID=19 Dashboard page! Now you can see more of the graphs as you scroll through the page; the header no longer takes up half the page. Winner! It has made it easier to put this information together for you. And the HIPAM Forecast graph doesn't need to be split in half.

 

This discrepancy with the number of working contact tracers, however, has not been corrected. I'm just not understanding how a department can put out information that is so different in its two official websites; these are both administered by the Department of Health. Auē!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Dean, Cheech, & Geoffrey! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo Makahiki ʻumikumamākahi e Judy  & Keith!

No comments:

Post a Comment