Saturday, October 10, 2020

Omnitrak Interview

This building is about a block away from the Davies Pacific Center where I was going for the interview with David from Omnitrak. I had not noticed it on my drive by yesterday since I was focused on finding the Davies Pacific Center. The Tissue Genesis Tower was apparently built in 1964 and renovated in 2005. I am not sure what its relationship is with the company Tissue Genesis.

The task of the day was the Omnitrak interview for a Research Associate position. I arrived about 15 minutes before the interview, which was a good thing because their elevators do not start at the 1st floor so I had to go in search of them; the place I was going was on the 12th floor so I was pretty sure there was an elevator. It turns out I had to go up the escalator to the 2nd floor to find the bank of elevators. Some went to the first 14 or so floors; the others went to the remaining 10 or so floors. I also took my time to check out the artwork in the 2nd floor area.

Where's the regular people elevator?
They seem to have good COVID-19 control measures.

Looking across the escalators at the artwork.
This is over the top of the escalators.

The group interview at Omnitrak turned out to be a group of 2; the other person was Brian from the contact tracing training! It was great to finally meet him in person. David explained how Omnitrak became involved with the contact tracing; they as a company wanted to find out how they could help the community & had approached the Mayor. They were asked if they could do contact tracing; but as a phone survey company they felt they were not equipped to do so. But they could do the initial contact to notify people that they had tested positive and to verify demographic information, address, and contact information. Work is either from 9 am to 3 pm or 3 pm to 9 pm and will take place at a phone bank in the YWCA on Richards Street. He told us that hours were not guaranteed, it depended on the levels of positive cases on the island; we would  be called the night before if the schedule needed to be changed or we might go home after lunch. He also told us the project went to the end of December. Due to logistics, the whole team arrives & leaves at the same time and also leaves & returns from lunch at the same time. He offered us both jobs right there, so we filled out the paperwork. I had almost everything I needed; I was to send David a scan of a voided check for direct deposit and a copy of my birth certificate. No problem I thought.

Page 1 of the multi-page script.

On my way home I decided to stop at Kokua Market and pick up some supplies; they also had Invasive Species Stew at the deli. That's not really what they call it; it's stew made with venison from non-native Axis Deer that were released on Moloka'i over 100 years ago. Since they have no natural predators the deer population expands unchecked and damages the native ecosystem, pushing native plants and native birds closer to extinction. Eating invasive species is one means to control their population; I am in favor of this solution. I had Invasive Species Stew and Roasted Vegetables for lunch.

L to R: Invasive Species Stew, Roasted Vegetables.
My low cal day lunch.

When I got home I found that the Nutribullet 600W that I had ordered had arrived! It is what I will be using to make the proothies. I ordered 2 extra jars so that The Roommates could also make smoothies if they wanted. I left the box out for a couple of hours; no cats came by to inspect it.

The box had a lonely afternoon.

Although I had my Hawaʻ'i Community Federal Credit Union checkbook with me, I wanted to have the things sent to my University of Hawaiʻi Federal Credit Union account. So I scanned a voided check, easy peasy. Then I got online to order another birth certificate since my copy is on Hawaiʻi Island where 90% of my belongings are. I was going great, I already had a scanned copy of my drivers license (with the gold star even!) to attach to the request. I paid, then hit send. When my order number came back there was a note attached saying that due to COVID-19 requested copies could not be picked up in person, they would be mailed. And by the way, it was going to be 63 business days before they could get around to processing my request! Auē! Why so long? There are no people standing in line asking them to do other things. I let David know that I would not be sending him a copy of my birth certificate any time soon.


Today is S'mores birthday; The Roommates got her the Hyde and Eek! Boutique Fun House Cat Scratcher. It is a Halloween themed cardboard scratching surface housed in a cardboard jack-o-lantern. We'll see if the cats like it.

The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes puts the fun house together.
Luna checks it out.

For dinner I had a square of Pizza Topping Casserole and arugula salad with bacon bits and a carrot. Not sure what the macros were.


I did waste some time watching interesting videos. One was about a Vietnamese bakery using pink dragon fruit to add color and flavor to baked goods. Apparently KFC in Vietnam is now using them as buns for their chicken burgers.


The fun post of the day come from my friend Tammy:


Saw a cool digital stethoscope on another post. I sent info off to several friends who work in health care. I am glad people are sharing about ways to keep the people who take care of the rest of us as safe as possible!


A study by Princeton Environmental Institute found that only a small percentage of people are responsible for the continued spread of COVID-19. Hmmm, could that be why a certain person who refuses to wear a mask and says COVID is less deadly than the flu is connected to a whole bunch of cases in the White House? They found that 8% of infected people accounted for 60% of new infections. They also found that children are "very efficient transmitters". I think most parents are well aware of that aspect of child rearing; when Kai was in pre-school I used to affectionately refer to him as "The Vector".


There were 73 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total up to 13,371. There were 2 new deaths for a total of 168 deaths statewide. The Oʻahu 7-day average is 72 with a 3.5% positivity. There were 2490 active cases with 81% of people released from isolation. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Sufayatu!

No comments:

Post a Comment