Friday, October 2, 2020

Karma

On Sunday, during the 1st presidential debate, 45 made fun of Biden for wearing a mask. Last night 45 and FLOTUS tested positive for COVID-19. Hopefully, he survives and realizes that it really is something he needs to get serious about. This morning they said he is going to Walter Reed Hospital as a precaution, which is good, though it is difficult to say if that's really all there is going on. He is 74 and obese and has several other underlying conditions, so something could have happened since last night. FLOTUS apparently will remain at the White House; thankfully Barron has tested negative, so far. A number of other senior aids have tested positive; we don't know yet how widespread it really is in the White House.

I continued to work on the backlogged posts; I had started them but was having trouble loading photos so I did not publish them. Late yesterday I found a way to upload photos that seems to always work; there is an "Insert Image" button on the Blogger data entry page, right next to the "Insert Video" button! Duh! I had never noticed that before and was using drag and drop instead. This is a little slower initially, but since it seems to always work it is ultimately faster since  drag & drop was getting very glitchy in working with Blogger.

I split up the package of chicken sausage today and sliced one up for lunch along with half of the last baby pac choi. Each sausage is a serving; there were 12 of them in the package.



The smaller pair of kettlebells arrived today; the box had torn open completely. If there was anything else in the box it was gone. But a quick check on the Amazon website showed that those were the only things in that box; 2 other items were delivered to the mailbox. And the final 2 items were still in transit; one is supposed to arrive tomorrow and the other some time next week.
Oh, oh ... did anything fall out?
Nope, it was only these 2 in there.


Here's what was sent via US mail. This is the interval timer and the wire nose clips for the masks. I went with the plastic ones that you sew on rather than the stick-on aluminum ones; I think it might be a little more comfortable if you are wearing it all day. Plus I think they will do better in the wash.

Today is Day #4 of Prep Week; the email header was, "How will I be training?" And, "(here's a clue, it starts with only 4 minutes)". Which is a good thing! Even at only 10 pounds those kettlebells are heavy!
I am glad there is a detailed plan.
This is the printable download.
It has detailed info for each different type of workout day & includes videos.

She starts you out with stretches which I really like. The first is the Head to Toe Warm Up, followed by the Mobility Warm Up. Then she goes in to teaching you how to swing a kettlebell.

The second document I read through today had more information on eating; specifically on carb cycling. She gives detailed information on how to set it up but allows for leeway on individual likes and dislikes. She also shows you how to match your eating to your workouts. Then she gives a few sample recipes.

I really like this graphic.
And this one.


Here is the exercise regimen paired with the eating plan.
She also gives you examples for each type of workout day with meals.

Today I also had The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes take some "before" photos of me for the kettlebell training challenge. During Prep Week part of the preparation is to have before photos & measurements; there will be similar measurements in the middle and at the end of the 6-week challenge. One of the things they ask that you do is tell other people so you are more accountable for following through. So I am telling you! Hold me accountable!

I got the email from MAʻO Organic Farms this evening with the list of produce for the CSA box tomorrow: Sassy Salad, Baby Red Russian Kale, Hakurei Turnip or Kohlrabi, Arugula Bunch, Baby Pac Choi, Purplette Onions, Fennel, Cilantro, Meyer Lemons, and either mangoes, tangerines, oranges, guavas, or limes. I need to look up some fennel recipes; I've never cooked with it before. If you have a great fennel recipe that you would like to share, please send it to me. This is one of the things I like about a CSA box; it forces me to try things I probably wouldn't ever try otherwise.
Maybe I'll try this one, I still have carrots from the last box.
Or maybe this one.

For dinner I used the last of the baby pac choi and the last of the cilantro; I also added some diced ham, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. I still have the bunch of American parsley; I'll have to figur out what to do with it.
Before.

Hurricane Marie is still in the Eastern Pacific & heading our way. It is about 1090 miles westerly of Baja California and moving westerly at about 9 mph. It is currently a Category 4 hurricane but expected to weaken over the next few days.

The Army has discovered that strategic napping is essential to optimal performance. The updated physical fitness and field training manual, now called the Holistic Health and Fitness Manual, is apparently based on more scientific research. I hope it also contains information on mental health issues as well; too many enlisted personnel are dying of suicide. 

One of the things the kettlebell training program I have enrolled in highlights is the importance of rest; after nutrition it is the 2nd most important thing they want you to focus on. I will have to start up with my daily midday nap again. After being on medical leave for extremely low cortisol levels & chronic fatigue syndrome for 6 months, my doctor would only allow me back to work half time. He also prescribed a 30 minute nap in the middle of the day. It could start no earlier than 4 hours after I woke up, last no more than 30 minutes, and begin no later than 2 pm. It was amazing how helpful that was in giving me enough energy to make it through the rest of the day. I continued that until I left my job about 6 years later.

The word nerds are wondering, Is the term face mask redundant? They liken the term to saying "foot shoes". Check it out!

There were 87 new COVID-19 cases today for a total of 12,601 known cases. There were 3 more deaths today bringing that total to 142. The active cases reported was 2036. On Oʻahu the 7-day average was 92 with a 3.8% positivity rate.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Eleta!

No comments:

Post a Comment