Monday, October 5, 2020

New Fanny Pack

As I was getting ready to go walking this morning the zipper on my fanny pack totally gave out. I already had a safety pin at the end of the opening to keep the slide from going past the part where the teeth were missing. Or so I thought. But this morning I pulled it off completely as I was zipping it shut. And it was so frayed I could not get it back on. And that main pocket was so full I could not walk around without it closed. So I decided to go to Don Quijote to get a new fanny pack; may be this time they will have one that is the right size. I had already gotten 2 that were too small.

The temporary solution.

The wayward slide.

What I keep in my fanny pack. (Actually 2 reusable shopping bags are missing.)


I also went to Longs to pick up protein powder & spirulina powder; there were so many protein powder options! I ended up going with the cheapest chocolate flavored option for now. I think this is a part of the program for the entire year so I can research and adjust as I proceed with the program. They were all out of spirulina powder.

Longs also has a flu shot clinic.
$1.62 per ounce & its not all protein.
$1.06 per ounce.
$2.10 per ounce.
$1.55 per ounce.
$1.09 per ounce.
$0.94 per ounce. Also no chocolate.
$0.66 per ounce. I settled on this one.

 

Then I went to Don Quijote for the fanny pack & I found one that looked like it would work. I also found Microban 24; it came in both the multi-purpose cleaner and bathroom cleaner. I got one multi-purpose. And I also found spirulina powder. Since I didn't have very many items I decided to use the self-checkout stands; big mistake. Because several of my items would not scan properly I had to wait for assistance and it took a whole lot longer than if I was in a regular line.

$2.80 per ounce.
I got one item scanned before it stopped working.


On the way back I stopped by Kokua Market to see what they had for protein powder & spirulina. But they were closed, their hours have changed and I was about an hour too early. So I went home and unloaded the car and transferred everything to the new fanny pack. At least, that was the plan. The new fanny pack is smaller than the old one and the same size as 2 other brand new ones that I already had. I took it back to DQ for a refund. And on the way back stopped at Kokua, which was now open. Glad I got the spirulina at DQ, the same brand was about twice as expensive at Kokua.

Checked out prices of Big Island Coffee Roasters for Kai. He is getting $15.49 bag of Maui Mellow.
The plant based protein was on sale! (I did not buy it.)
$4.58 per ounce. I think I'll continue getting this from Don Quijote when there is a sale.

 

I also met the owner of this car; it was there when I 1st stopped by Kokua in the morning. Turns out he is one of the cooks in the deli. He said he used to live in Seattle & brought the car over with him; he likes the weather here better. The first time I sent Kai a photo of this car, he thought I bought it; wishful thinking on his part!


While I was at Kokua, Moani from University of Hawaiʻi Federal Credit Union called; I had forgotten to e-sign the credit card application papers that Tee had sent to me. Since I was only a couple blocks away, I dropped by in person to sign the papers. I like talking to Moani, she is interested in getting back in to learning Hawaiian. She had a couple years in college but then stopped using it. We will try to have simple conversations in Hawaiian when I come to do in-person banking.


It was probably a good thing the zipper broke. Just the short bouts of walking around aggravated the sore on my leg that I got a week ago. And that's even with a bandaid to provide a little cushion. It has scabbed over except for the center which seems to be a little infected; its really apparent right after I take a shower and it's soft & wet.

After I unloaded  put everything away, I was in the study when I heard a commotion in the laundry room and looked out just in time to see Keala run down the hallway and in to my room. There was a plastic bag that appeared to be wrapped around her; I think the sound was spooking her. I found her under my bed; she wouldn't come out when I called so I dragged her out. I'm not sure how she did it, but one of the handles of the bag was wrapped around her waist. I tore the handle and got rid of the bag. She crawled back under my bed and hid for a couple of hours.

White blob is bag wrapped around Keala.
Immediately after I dragged her out.
Hiding after her ordeal.



At Papa ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi today we had a guest kumu, Kahanuola Solatorio. His site is called ʻAʻa i ka ʻŌlelo and is interactive. He walked us through one of the lessons on his site.

Kumu Paige is also a DJ at KTUH; they are doing a pledge drive this week.


As soon as class was over I went to the E Ho'opili Mai Instagram and signed up for the ʻAʻa i ka ʻŌlelo class. Then I looked around at the other resources that are available at their website.

 


There is a storm in the Eastern Pacific headed our way. Tropical Storm Marie is about 1500 miles westerly of Baja California and headed westerly at about 9 mph. Winds are expected to decrease as Marie heads west, becoming a remnant low oh Tuesday before it crosses in to the Central Pacific region around Thursday.


Not sure what the real goal is but 45 was pushing for an early release today. Theoretically, just judging by how long we know he has been symptomatic, he should still be infectious; there have been no reports of him having tested negative to confirm that he is no longer infectious, so early release should not be an option. But 45 left the hopsital anyway; then took of his mask. He does not appear to have learned much, saying COVID-19 is nothing to be afraid of and he did fine. He doesn't seem to realize he received a whole lot more treatment which is not available to almost everyone else from a whole lot more medical staff because he is the prez and his loss would be a National Security issue. Hope has not compromised his future health by doing this.



The CDC said today that small COVID-19 particles can spread beyond 6 feet indoors. This is the information that they posted last month, then took down. I think its safe to say that other people were saying this was happening before the CDC put it back up on their website. So wear your mask, avoid large indoor groups, stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands; you know the drill to stay safe.


A study I saw today says that almost 1/3 of COVID-19 patients have altered mental states. The study said those had altered mental states also fared more poorly than those that did not.  



There were 52 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the total up to 12,854 known cases. There was 1 death reported tpday, for a total of 157 deaths. The 7-day average for Oʻahu was 75 with a 3.2% positivity rate. There were 2227 active cases with 81% of previously ill people being released from isolation.

 
Hau'oli lā Hānau e Karen & Lori!

No comments:

Post a Comment