Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Beet Spirals

After I got back from work I spent a bunch of time making beet spirals. I spiralized 2 whole beets and filled a 12 oz jar along with awase su. I love the color and their spirally shape! 

Freshly spiralized beets.
In the awase su.


I also washing the mixed greens for salad & radish greens for proothies. We have just one more batch of greens for salad; it should last us until the next CSA pick up on Saturday.  

Salad greens.
Radish greens for proothies.
Beet, radishes, & hakurei for salads.

 

I made my proothie this morning with the last of the previous batch of washed salad greens; I had forgotten to wash the radish greens before I went to bed last night. 

The sad remains of last night's salad.
Mixed greens proothie.

At work today, I did call backs 1st thing in the morning. I was able to reach 1 out of the 5 people that we have been trying to reach for at least a day. When we were done with the call backs, there was a short break while we waited for the new cases to arrive. Before lunch I reached 3 out of 9 of the new cases I was given.

For lunch I went to Down to Earth again; I think they may have had some new people covering for the regulars because whatever I had was terrible! And I really don't know what I had because the workers did not put up any labels so I don't know what it was. What I do know is that it was hard & dry with some oddly familiar taste, but not quite. It was terrible! I wish I knew what it was so I can avoid it next time! 

I have no idea what this is!


Towards the end of lunch, Anne sent me a text with an attached photo of a newly opened store in Everett called Colors of Hawai'i. When I was living there, Colors of Hawai'i was located in Lake Stevens; they used their store to raise money for their halau. I had also heard that they sold Hawaiian food there but never got out there to try it. Anne & Catie are going to try it out and will be giving me a report on them.

(Photo by Anne)
 

After lunch I did more call backs; this included the new cases that we were not able to reach in the morning. I was able to reach 1 out of 5 of my call backs. We had finished all 1st calls, follow-ups, & call backs by 12:45 pm. Dave let most of us go; 3 people will stay to do the call backs at around 2 pm.

I went to Longs first to pick up more milled flax & chia seed for my proothies. I also picked up more fiber and plant-based protein powder.


My final stop was Otto Cake; I picked up 4 pieces of cheesecake to take to Thanksgiving dinner at Curtis & Lori's house. I got Pineapple Caramel Spice, Dark Chocolate Lemon, Lilikoi, & Lemon Coconut. We have never tried any of these. So far we have not found a flavor we did not like!

I got a slice of each of these plus a slice of the one on far right middle shelf in above photo.


I got a very surprising call from Ryan from Hakoda! I had last heard from them in early June when Shane & Kurt dropped off the new refrigerator. Earlier Ryan had called to say they were going to give me a $50 discount because there was a scratch on the side panel; he said to call after the refrigerator was delivered and I had a chance to see the scratch. So I called the next day but found that no one was there; they were dealing with a family emergency. It turns out their grandmother had passed away. At any rate, he said he was cleaning up old notes and found that he had promised the discount so he was calling to get my credit card number so they could refund the money to the account that it had come from. I like dealing with family-run businesses that are so honest

I did the Lean workout so that I could account for the calories I was eating on this Low Carb day. The workout is getting easier. Which is good; I would be very disappointed in myself if I was not improving!


Dinner was a little tastier than lunch. I was reorganizing my freezer shelf and pulled out a couple of the older things; specifically a bag of Beyond Meat Crumbles and a bag of cauliflower rice. They were easy enough to prepare but the flavor of the Beyond Meat was not that exciting. I added vegan cheese and sour cream to fix it up a bit; its going to need more than that. Maybe I'll add bacon bits and real cheese next time.

The directions say to saute frozen crumbles; took about 5 minutes & worked well enough.
I kept the additions on the side so you could see the textures.


The Tesla app seemed to track the Aix weather forecast fairly well today. 


I found photos of the finished bagels today. Jenn had posted the bagels in progress yesterday. The bagels had actually been made on Saturday, while we were wrapping up the mini-Kwanzaa.

Sourdough cinnamon raisin bagels. (Photo by Susan)

Lots of pre-Thanksgiving food prep going on these past few days. Lynne was also busy!


I thought this was a pretty cool post on Facebook. 


The growth patterns of plants are amazing, I think most people are familiar with the Fibonacci sequence in terms of plant growth but there are other mathematical models that plants use for their growth. They are better at math than I am!


Here's some early holiday humor.


And now for some COVID humor.


 

Here is some information the doctors want you to know about the holiday season.Here are their tips on how to decrease the risk of you or your loved ones from getting COVID-19. Some of these recommendations may be hard for people to want to do, but will give you and vulnerable family members the best chance of being COVID-free for the holidays.


There were 108 new COVID-19 cases reported today for a total of 17,501 known cases. There were also 2 new deaths reported bringing the death toll up to 235; there are currently 1340 active cases. The 7-day new case average is 84 with a 2.5% positivity rate. Today was the LG's Weekly Update; we are still doing good. But he is concerned that Thanksgiving may drive case numbers up. The surveillance testing has wrapped up; they found 45 people out of 20,053 travelers tested under the Safe Travels program developed COVID-19 after arriving for a rate  of 2.2 per 1000 people. He also encouraged people who have had COVID-19 to donate plasma.

The following is the mask wearing data; the LG says if we can get it up to 95% compliance, it will stop the spread of COVID-19. I think it is enumerated every 2 weeks by various groups; the data on Hawaiʻi Island is collected by MRC volunteers assisting public health nurses. Maui County and Hawaiʻi County have the highest compliance with 90%, followed by 83% in Honolulu County. Kauaʻi County has the lowest compliance rate, but also has had the lowest infection rate so I think they are becoming a little complacent.

Statewide.
Oʻahu.
Hawaiʻi Island.
Kauaʻi.
Maui, Molokaʻi, & Lānaʻi.

Hau'oli lā Hānau e Kari, Ryan, & Nicole!

No comments:

Post a Comment