Saturday, November 28, 2020

Hauʻoli Lā Kūʻokoʻa!

Today is Hawaiian Independence Day! The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum says, "The Anglo-Franco Proclamation was signed on November 28, 1843. With this joint declaration by Britain and France, the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi was formally recognized as the first non-western independent and sovereign state. ... On April 8, 1842, with the threat of foreign forces looming, Kamehameha III made a proactive decision and appointed Timoteo Haʻalilio, William Richards, and Sir George Simpson as diplomats to assert Hawaiian independence through diplomacy and not by force. The success of their mission culminated in the formal recognition of Hawaiʻi as a sovereign state by the three largest naval powers at the time, the United States, England, and France. ... Haʻalilio would never live to see his people celebrate. Sacrificing his life for the independence of his Hawaiian nation, Haʻalilio passed away on the return trip on December 3, 1844. While all three men must be recognized for their great achievements, Timoteo Haʻalilio stands out. The embodiment of Hawaiian governance we celebrate Haʻalilio’s determination, commitment, and loyalty to the Hawaiian nation."
Timoteo Haʻalilo. (Photo by Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum)

I woke up with a slight headache again this morning. I wasn't feeling like walking around or even sitting up, so I lay in bed watching videos on my laptop. Then it dawned on me; I remember having this same type of headache years ago. It was caused by lying in bed watching my laptop. In order to be most comfortable while doing that I had a 2nd pillow under my head; it caused a little more stretch in the muscles in the back of my neck. The solution? Even though it was uncomfortable, I had to stand up or sit up and work those sore muscles. I also did a lot of self-massage to release the tension in those muscles.

When I finally did get out of bed today, I headed for the kitchen. And found a surprise waiting on the kitchen counter for me. The Roommates went to McDonalds for breakfast this morning & got an extra Breakfast Burrito for me!


Because it is a Feast Day I made an avocado proothie this morning. Since I vary the additions to my proothie, with the premium My Fitness Pal I can add my own items so I have one called Proothie Base which is what I start every proothie with. Then I can add avocado or berries or whatever when I am making my Feast Day proothie. Or I can note that I used fennel or beet greens or radish greens or whatever and have that all recorded. According to My Fitness Pal, the proothie base has 37g carbs, 17g fat, 38.6 g protein, & 455 calories. Using the avocado adds 12g carbs, 21g fat, 2.9g protein, & 234 calories. The radish greens added 1.3g carbs, 0g fat, 0.6g protein, & 6 calories.


For lunch I finished the Beyond Meat Crumbles. I don't think I am buying that again. I added my usual enhancements, plus some avocado that I picked up at Sams Club. Each avocado cup adds 5g carbs, 9g fat, 1g protein, & 90 calories.

They're seasoned for guacamole.
 

I was going to make soymilk after lunch but got such a late start on my day because of the headache, that it was time for me to get ready to pick up the CSA box. I had just enough time to finish my lunch before I had to leave.

I was really looking forward to getting the CSA box; I was waiting for new greens for my proothies! The reminder email said we would be getting sassy salad, butterhead lettuce, beets, hakurei turnips, pac choi, arugula, curly kale, cilantro, & fennel! I was really looking forward to more fennel greens to put in my proothies but found they had cut off the tops this time! Auē! I guess I could use the bases since there's not much else I do to them except roast them and they will become only a couple of mouthfuls after that.

 

After I got back I was washing up the last of the salad greens from last week and bagging up the new vegetables before putting them in the refrigerator. Before I knew it, I had to start my dinner! And I also ran out of time to do my workout. I didn't want to skip dinner; I did that last week. That made keeping to my fast for the next day really difficult. So I ate a good dinner tonight so I can last the full 24 hours for tomorrow.


Our cats would not get too excited about this.

 

This, on the other hand, is pretty funny! I guess Spellchecker would not have caught this.

 

The LG is proposing some refinements to the Safe Travels testing program; the changes would increase the effectiveness of the program and decrease the number of positives getting through the current 72-hour pre-arrival testing. But it seems the tourism industry folks think it will keep people away. I think it would make travelers coming here feel more safe in their decision to travel here for a vacation.


Because the outer islands have more limited ICU bed capacity, both Kauaʻi & Hawaiʻi Island have opted out of the Safe Travels program. Kauaʻi has only 9 ICU beds and are requiring everyone that arrives to undergo a 14-day quarantine. Hawai'i Island, with 24 ICU beds, is requiring travelers to arrive with negative test results in hand in order to skip the 14-day quarantine. The tourism industry doesn't like this either.


There were 76 new COVID-19 cases reported today bringing the total of known cases up to 17,784. There were no new deaths so the death toll remains at 240; currently there are 1304 known active cases. On Oʻahu the 7-day average of new cases was 75 with a 2.4% positivity rate. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau Makahiki ʻEha e Jace! I canʻt believe you are already 4 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment