Thursday, February 18, 2021

Another Lesson Learned

I went to the bank to deposit the koden from Dad's sevice. I also went to find out what I need to do to deposit the checks from the Veterans Administration (VA) made out to Mom. I originally had 3 from within the month Dad died; another arrived a couple weeks ago. Turns out, because the account that I left Mom's name on is the trust that she & Dad were on, I can only deposit checks in to it that are made out to the trust, not to the individual trustee. I will have to return the 4 checks to the VA; I am planning on sending them to Scotty so he can take care of it since it appears that no one wants to listen to me that Mom really is dead. You can learn from my mistake: Make sure the account that you leave open has the name of the deceased person as an individual rather than a trust; I will be doing that when I begin closing out accounts for Dad. 

At the bank.

I started out this morning by doing a couple of Duolingo lessons; I have now been practicing on Duolingo for 300 days in a row. I actually started Papa ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi on Duolingo in October 2018, shortly after Duolingo released the first Hawaiian lessons on their platform. But after about 6 months I got myself so confused so I put it aside. Then, about 9 months later, the UH provided free ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi lessons taught by 2 graduate students plus in person practice with other students. It greatly increased my understanding of the language so I started using Duolingo again.

I don't get any points for 300 days.

I also spent time this morning watching the video Doc Vader on Disability's Dark Side by ZDoggMD. It's pretty hilarious! But also quite informative regarding disability insurance for doctors.


I also read about the different types of smoke detectors; ionization & photoelectric. And that you really should have both of them in your house; I didn't know that. Did you? I need to find out what kind of smoke detectors are at the house. All the smoke detectors at the house are hard-wired so I don't need to worry about checking the batteries. If I don't already have dual-sensor devices, I will be replacing them with dual-sensor devices.

 

And I watched the FDA video "Food Safety During Power Outages"; I was thinking about friends in cold & snowy places as well as those who are in areas without power. This 3 minute video has good tips, but if you live in Hawaiʻi, or a similar place that could have a longer resupply time than most urban areas in the US, you should have 14 days worth of food & water on hand.

 

While I was sitting in the bank parking lot after I deposited the koden, I called in an order for lunch from Juicy Brew. I got the Spicy "Chickʻn" Wrap and a Blueberry-Walnut Muffin; its a Regular Calorie Day. I got a verification code from Square and then the site said the order had been submitted. But when I got there, they did not have an order with my name or an order like what I had submitted and I was unable to quickly find an email receipt from Square while I was standing there though I was able to show the verification so they gave me my lunch without paying more. I have decided to research it more & figure out why they did not get my order; now I'm not really sure my order went through even though Square said it did. I'll be checking my credit card charges to see if it shows up.

This was pretty good! I'll order it again!

Before lunch, I got an email from Princess saying the UH vax POD on Saturday was cancelled. The email said it was due to the delay in vaccine delivery due to the weather. 


During lunch I watched "Morbid Minute: Lead-Based Make-up Tutorial for Spring" on Ask a Mortician. This 5-minute video explains what was used by the 16th century Europeans and earlier; she also discusses the health affects of this types of make-up. What I like about her Morbid Minute videos is how she explains the morbid effects in an unmorbid manner. Actually, I personally think all her videos are done in an unmorbid manner.


Then after lunch I got another email from Princess; she said the UH POD might still be on! I'm not planning on doing anything else on Saturday until Saturday morning and I truly know what's happening. If I don't hear another message cancelling the POD I will show up at the UH to do data entry.


The Aix weather app forecast rain all day here with thunderstorms but that didn't happen. Aix also forecast the same but with more precipitation in Kapaʻau; Tesla didn't quite support that. The Tesla app showed more insolation before noon and much less in the afternoon. Based on the Mauna Kea web cams it looked like it was overcast before noon; I'm assuming it actually rained after noon.


I think I am going to only show the view from the web cam for the Canada-France-Hawaiʻi Telescope on Mauna Kea. That is unless the NASA Infra-Red Telescope shows something a lot clearer.


The eruption in the Kīlauea caldera continues to remain active.


I also watched the Ask a Mortician video, "Handling the Coronavirus Dead in New York"; it was made in April 2020 when things were crazy busy in New York. This 10-minute video is very good in explaining how bodies are handled when large numbers of people die at one time, such as in a pandemic or disaster. I learned a lot from the video. She has a couple more on coronavirus & the funeral industry; I'll try to remember to provide links in later posts.


There were 67 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the known cases up to 27,000. On the evening news they said this number does not include the cases from Tuesday & Wednesday that were not reported due to problems with the automated labs reporting system. There was 1 new death reported, bringing the death toll up to 428; currently 769 cases are considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 31 with a 1.0% positivity rate. 


Hau'oli lā Hānau e David & Tami!

No comments:

Post a Comment