Saturday, February 20, 2021

Successful UH Vax POD

Because it was a smaller POD, they were able to gather enough vaccine to provide the nearly 600 second doses needed for the eligible faculty & staff at the University of Hawai'i so the POD was on. I parked in the same parking garage but at the Diamond Head end of the garage; which was one level higher than the other end where I parked during the earlier POD. I was on the Hibiscus level this time.


Although we started out with 3 less people than we had vaccinators, we were able to catch up after they arrived. Jean & Bob were called in to help, along with Ciza; then later Bryce showed up. Ciza had worked all week at DOH and showed up to help with the data entry, so Marjorie sent him home after Bryce got there.

Lunch at the UH POD was run a little differently than the LCC PODs; they just bought a bunch of vegetarian meals and asked when you showed up what you wanted. Although they said they had a vegetarian option, it was incorrectly described & I decided to go with the Korean fried chicken. Alicia is a vegetarian & said the meal was great. Next time I will stick to the vegetarian option.

My lunch time view.

While I was eating my lunch I noticed something sticking out of the ground in the landscaping area. It looked like an anemometer at ground level.


As I was returning to the data entry room, I walked past some plants; they looked like ʻuala to me. Then I saw a small sign in the plants; it was an ʻuala! And there was actually more than 1 variety of ʻuala being used in the landscaping. 

 

Jean offered up 2 benefit tickets from a Zippy's fundraiser. Each ticket was good for 1&1/2 # of either Zippy's Famous Chili, Portuguese Bean Soup, or Meat Sauce. I texted The Roommates and they were excited to have chili for dinner tonight so I got 1 of the tickets. As we were closing up Jean handed me the other ticket, no one else took her up on her offer.

I stopped by Longs on the way back; the Chicken Chips were on sale! But they were all out again. The coconut water was also on sale so I went and got that. When I was checking out I forgot to ask for a rain check on the Chicken Chips. Auē!  

Where are the Chicken Chips?

 

Later I went to pick up our CSA box. The fennel has its tops on this time! And they are really long and ferny! I am looking forward to fennel proothies! There was also 2 hands of bananas.


But I need to do something about the kale. I'm not sure why, but this last 2 weeks I was not eating as much greens as I have been so we have a bunch of stuff needing to be used. Like 3 bags of kale; I will have to find a recipe for kale chips. We also still have the 2 eggplants and a bunch of root vegetables and baby pac choy; I think I will make eggplant curry on Monday and throw in some root vegetables and baby pac choy in place of the zucchini my recipe calls for.

There is a Zippy's is right across the street from where I pick up the CSA box; there were a bunch of feral chickens in the garage. I was originally only going to pick up one but took both tickets with me; I'm glad I did. One & 1/2 pounds of chili is not really that much, maybe about a quart. It took 2 to make sure everyone had enough for dinner. 


The Aix weather app forecast a morning with some rain, then no measurable rain in the afternoon. As I was walking from the garage to the POD site it was very lightly misting; at the end of the POD it was sunny with patchy clouds. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast a whole lot of rain! The Tesla app supported that forecast.

Looking toward the Koʻolau on my way to the POD.

The weather as I left the POD.

 

The eruption at Kīlauea caldera is still spewing lava.


There was an earthquake off the coast of Oregon just before lunch this morning; the Magnitude 5 quake did not generate a tsunami. 


There were 59 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 27,107. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 430; currently there are 668 cases considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 28 with a positivity rate of 1.3%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Gus, Chris, & Rebecca! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo e CNA Chin!

No comments:

Post a Comment