Friday, February 19, 2021

I Hope This Fixes It

I called and left a message this morning for Scotty from the Veterans Administration. He called me back later in the day and we did a conference call with Paula who I understand is in the VA accounting department, or something like that. Paula found that Mom was not listed as "Deceased" in one of the other databases, she is pretty sure that is why I continued to receive checks even after talking with Scotty & him correcting her status in another database. I was also given the number for the VA Pension Center on the east coast; I will be calling next week to find out where to send the checks back. Even though we are entitled to a Burial Allowance, I am not going to request it so that I do not create any confusion about whether Mom might still be alive. Paula & Scotty did say to call them back if I get another check for Mom. I hope we don't.

Expected the 1st 2, called on the 3rd, told was now corrected. Then I got the 4th one. Auē!

I started out the morning, like I used to start my Friday mornings, by weighing myself. Since Tuesday I have been more mindful about my eating; I have also been trying to get more sleep. Not sure which piece has helped me lose the 0.6 pounds that I did over the past 3 days. I will get back to my weekly weigh-in. 


This morning Marjorie sent an email confirming that the vax POD at the UH is still on for tomorrow! I'm pretty sure they were able to get enough doses because there are only 600 shots being given; these are 2nd doses.

I went to the University of Hawaiʻi Federal Credit Union this morning to get some assistance with setting up an automatic payment for the credit card that I have through them. For some reason I have been unable to get it set up online. Noel helped me make the payment for this month. He also said it was easier to set it up on the phone app than online.

Before I left to go to UHFCU, I checked my credit card purchases online and could not find any payment for my lunch from Juicy Brew yesterday. I wasn't sure how soon payments showed up, so I made another order with Juicy Brew; it showed up almost immediately as a Temporary Authorization. As part of the order process I got a verification code from Square, though I was never asked to enter it anywhere on the order form. So it looks like I really didn't pay for what I got yesterday; I paid them cash today for it when I picked up my order of Hirata Buns. I would order them again also.

I would eat the Hirata Bun again.

I got another email from Marjorie this afternoon; she is starting to schedule the LCC vax PODs for next week. Hopefully the weather settles down and the doses can be shipped on time.

 

Last night I texted about a dozen friends & relatives around the country to see how they have been coping with the winter weather. Cousin Beryl lives in Texas & although they lost power for 3 days, none of their pipes burst; they spent those 3 days in a hotel and are now back home. Alexis, who was here in November & December for the Oʻahu Seabird Aid Project, said they didn't get much snow in New Hampshire, "maybe 7 inches built up on the roads." Hanai cousin Suzanne & her 'Ohana in Virginia has had, "medium sized weekly snowstorms enough to cause some inconveniences." Lynne in DC said they were fortunate and only got 2" of snow but then it rained on top & turned to ice; luckily she got out & filled her bird feeders before that happened. She sent me the photos below. Niece Sarah in Pennsylvania said they had a gentle snow that the kids played in; now they are back with online training. Kai's classmate Mary, who moved to Minnesota last fall, said she has been told it is a mild winter so it is a good transition for her. Nikki, who stayed with us for a couple of months while she was an intern at the zoo working with Manu-o-Ku, said they got a foot of snow overnight in Detroit. Unknown to me, Anne's daughter Mariah had moved back to Washington from Texas, so she wasn't having to deal with the snow & lack of power & water. Cousin Mae in Nevada said they have had it easier than Texas; their temperatures were brisk with only 2" of snow. And cousin Richard in Maryland said they were having cold weather and sleet, but their kids in Texas were having a rough time with no power or water.

Birds in Lynne's back yard. (Photo by Lynne)
(Photo by Lynne)
Pine Siskin (L) & Male Northern Cardinal. (Photo by Lynne)

L to R: Cedar, Iris, & Andy. (Photo by Lynne)
Cousin Ted. (Photo by Lynne)


The Aix weather app mad it look like it would be a dark & stormy day! But it wasn't; just cloudy & overcast here. It forecast Kapaʻau to be even wetter; and it might have been. The graph on the Tesla app indicated that there was less than ideal insolation in the morning that became a lot worse as the afternoon rolled around; that could meant either very heavy cloud cover or cloud cover with rain.

Clouds over Koʻolau & a little sprinkle on the way to the credit union.

I wonder how long this eruption of Kīlauea will last? The last time Kīlauea erupted it started in early January 1983 and ended near the end of April 2018; about 35 years. Definitely longer than I plan on writing this blog!



There was an earthquake late last night southeast of Alaska; it did not generate a tsunami.

 

There were 50 new cases of COVID-19 reported today bringing the total known cases up to 27,048. There were also 2 new deaths reported, bringing the death toll up to 480; currently there are 722 cases considered to be active. The 7-day new case average on O'ahu is 29 with a positivity rate of 1.0%. I finally found a new cast forecast link that works! The red shaded area is what could happen depending on how well people mask up, keep physically distant, & wash their hands; and also predictions of how contagious new variants are.

It could be anywhere in the shaded area but is most likely to be the red line.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Barb & Rachael!

No comments:

Post a Comment