Saturday, February 6, 2021

More Family Photos

For much of the day I worked on finishing off the Family Reunions Photo Album for Aunty Judy; based on this past week I knew I would not have time during the week for any day that I am working at a vax POD. The electronic copy is almost done, I need to add the 3 "bonus pages" that I scanned that are different from the electronic copies that I got from Aunty Judy 20 years ago. I also need to get more sheet protector pages. I was not able to find the same type of presentation booklet that Aunty Judy has the original in that she gave to Mom; I am using the next best thing I could find, a 1/2" binder.

The mon (family crests) for Takatani (top) & Mayahara (bottom).

Today was a Feast Day so I made my proothie with the last of the crème fraîche. It is a decadent proothie!


The other thing I did today was practice ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi on Duolingo. When you 1st finish a lesson you are put in with a group of 30 other people finishing a lesson; from there you compete over the next week to see who collects the most points by completing lessons. The top 3 finishers receive bonuses; the top finisher gets an additional bonus. As of this writing I am the top person in my particular group; if I maintain this position for the next 19&1/2 hours (until about 3 pm tomorrow) I will end up as the top finisher! Practice! Practice! Practice!


I also checked out the web cams on Mauna Kea; 2 have potential for showing both any snow accumulation at the summit plus a peek at the weather in the Kohala area. They are the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) and the NASA Infrared Telescope Facility (IRTF). In both of them you can see the summit of Haleakala on Maui poking above the clouds far in the background; the Kohala range is to the right. Both also have a time lapse function; I can get the prior 2 hours for the IRTF to work but I am having trouble finding the right link for the CFHT.

The CFHT looks north-northwesterly.

The IRTF looks northwesterly.


I also checked out the web cams focused on the Kīlauea caldera during the day as well as after dark. The black & white and regular color cameras don't look as interesting during the day as they do in the dark. The thermal images look the same.

This one has a better view of the vent where the lava is erupting from.

Today was our CSA pick-up day. Our subscription today included Sassy Salad mix, baby arugula, baby red Russian kale, magenta lettuce, curly kale, baby pac choi, eggplant, hakurei turnips, and cilantro. The Sassy Salad mix is the most delicate of the salad greens so I washed it 1st for us to eat; I also washed about half of the baby arugula and baby red Russian kale and mixed it with the Sassy Salad mix.


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made dinner for everyone tonight. He made a big pot of Portuguese Bean Soup and a small pot of Portuguese Bean Soup Without Beans for The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes but who does not like beans. We were calling his Portuguese Bean Soup Without Beans, "minestrone"; although real minestrone has beans though probably not as many as in a bean soup.

Portuguese Bean Soup.
Portuguese Bean Soup Without Beans.
My bowl of soup, with beans.

Today is Zhara's quinceañera! Because of COVID-19 it is a much different quinceañera than what she & her parents would have had. But because of COVID-19, I was able to enjoy her virtual quinceañera; I was at her baptism so it was nice to be able to share in her quinceañera as well, even virtually. I am thankful for that opportunity. I met her mother, Sally, when she was 17 and not much past her own quinceañera

(Photo from Zhara's Quinceñera website)
(From Zhara's Quinceñera website)


The Aix weather app forecast a partially cloudy day with no precipitation for us here; it seemed to be fairly accurate. For Kapaʻau it showed some clouds with some precipitation but not enough to be measurable; the graph in the Tesla app showed heavy cloud cover and/or precipitation heavily affecting insolation from about mid-morning through the afternoon until sunset.

 

There were 108 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total of known cases up to 26,393. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 416; however, a 2nd case of the more highly contagious B.1.1.7 variant, also known as the UK variant, has been found here. If it begins to spread it could increase the death toll. Currently, 1318 cases are considered to be active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 61 with a positivity rate of 2.4%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Danielle & Zhara!

No comments:

Post a Comment