Thursday, February 4, 2021

Mao Ka Ua

I published this on Friday but forced it to show up in chronological order on Thursday. 

Your Duolingo ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi phrase of the Day: The rain has cleared.


Today's weather was much better than yesterday! But it was also much cooler; it was 66 degrees F when I got in to the car this morning and it wasn't really early in the morning either. The A/C, which I keep at 72 F for transporting injured wildlife, felt warm. I left the house 15 minutes early to account for the wet freeway surfaces; which were non-existent. 

Looking towards Koʻolau range at 8:44.
Looking towards Waianae range at 8:57.

When I got to LCC it was dry and sunny! At Data Entry we counted 919 forms; on the registration side they counted 920. The discrepancy was a form that was for an applicant that was not administered a vaccination due to contraindications; it was counted on the registration end but not our end.


Lunch today was from Aiea Bowl; it is one of the places where Curtis & I went to breakfast when we were still able to do that. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to get for the vegetarian meal but stuck to my decision to take the vegetarian option when it presented itself. I was pleasantly surprised by my meal! I would order this again. Someone was sitting at the table I usually sit at so I went around the corner and sat at the chair with the view of the loʻi through the trees.


Dinner was no where as good as lunch. I stopped by Kokua Market to pick up some staple items like eggs; I was also going to grab something at the deli for dinner. But today's entrees were apparently all very good because there was nothing left by the time I got there! I had to settle for a pizza from the frozen food section. I have the Daiya cheese substitute more than any other I have tried so I decided to see what their pizza was like; not buying that again! It was not satisfying or filling at all. The box says this is 4 servings; I ate the whole thing and was still not feeling full.

If this was the improved recipe, I'm glad I never tried the original!
It was not a small pizza.

I think the Aix weather app forecast was pretty accurate for here. Based on the data shown in the Tesla graph, it was probably fairly accurate for Kapaʻau as well.


I found another webcam angle for the Kīlauea caldera webcams that shows a real color shot of the active vent; it appears to be from the same location as the thermal image.

This black & white photo is taken from the south, looking northerly.
This color image, and the one below, are taken from the west, looking easterly.
This camera is zoomed in a little more than the previous one.

I got some screenshots from the Mauna Kea webcams this morning before I went to the vax POD; there was still some snow on the ground. I will have to do more checking to see which are the best cameras to show both the snowfall, when there is some, and the view of the Kohala area.

This is the Canada-France-Hawaii telescope, looking northerly.

This is from the Keck Observatory, looking north-northeasterly.

There were 107 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases to 26,187. there were also 2 new deaths reported, now making the death toll 416; currently there are 1374 cases considered to be active. The 7-day average of new cases for Oʻahu is 62 with a positivity rate of 2.4%. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Karen, Crilly, & Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment