Saturday, October 16, 2021

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Lori!

We celebrated Lori's birthday today; we were originally going to celebrate last Saturday because her birthday was that Tuesday, but postponed it since Luna was coming home from the vet that day. The Boys made dinner tonight: barbecue ribs & Korean style chicken with corn on the cob, green salad, & potato salad. I contributed a 6" lilikoi cheesecake from Otto Cake & a package of grilling cheese. I thought they were grilling, but it turns out you can also do the grilling cheese in the oven. (My photo of the specific celebratory elements were too blurred to use; the flash on my phone wasn't working because the battery was too low.)

Clockwise from fork: potato salad, Korean style chicken, BBQ rib, grilled cheese, vegetables.
Clockwise from top: key lime tofu pie, peanut butter cookie, brownie, lilikoi cheesecake.

Today is a Feast Day so I made a blueberry proothie. That bag of frozen blueberries that I forgot about did not get any better; I had to really beat on it to break up the big chunk of blueberries. In the end I succeeded in making it about half as large as it was; but it was still about twice as much as I usually put in. The Nutribullet was able to break up the big mass, but I did not run it long enough to pulverize the blueberries themselves because I did not want the proothie to get warm. I ended up with a lot of whole blueberries; it was a rather chewy drink!


I made a quick trip to Kokua Market to pick up more cottage cheese; I was also contemplating another Hapa Burger or similar item from the Makana Provisions BBQ. In the end I passed on that since I still had about half of the proothie left. But I did pick up some Roasted Curried Cauliflower from the deli & a package of grilling cheese to try for tonight's dinner.

The cheese in its cute little grilling tray.

On the way back I stopped at Otto Cake; earlier in the week I ordered a whole 6" lilikoi cheesecake for Lori's birthday celebration. 

Here are today's by-the-slice options.

Keala was waiting for me when I got home. She had taken over my chair & was snoozing. I am trying to encourage her to sleep there so she is less likely to pee there.


On the way home from Curtis & Loriʻs house, I came upon the remains of an accident on the freeway. Only the fire department was still there, cleaning up spilled fuel. Nonetheless it created a short back up.


Duo is easily pleased. I did worse this week on studying ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi but Duo still said I was doing good work! 

His name is Duo, in case you were wondering.

The eruption at Kīlauea continues. The glow of the vent in Halemaʻumaʻu is visible during the day but the rest of the surface cools quickly & loses its glow; at night activity is more visible. The thermal images show more cooling along the edges in the evening.


The Aix weather app forecast rain through the day until mid-afternoon for Honolulu, then a fry evening. I experienced a several light drizzles while I was running my errands around noon but it did clear up in the mid-afternoon & was dry for the remainder of the day. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day; Big Island Now forecast partly sunny with scattered showers & a 50% chance of rain during the day becoming 70% in the evening. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.54 inches at 8:20 a.m. which increased to 0.80 inches by 8:52 p.m. For Marysville, Aix forecast partly cloudy skies all day; appeared to be accurate.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:21 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:21 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 6:23 a.m. HST.
Nā Koʻolau at 11:27 a.m.
Very light drizzle on King Street looking easterly at 11:55 a.m.
Heavy drizzle begins in Kaimukī looking easterly at 1:39 p.m.
Nā Koʻolau at 4:52 p.m.

As the wet season begins, the National Weather Service is predicting moderate La Niña conditions. So look for more photos of rain here, especially starting in January.


The north & west facing shores look like the better surfing spots for today. The south facing shores look fairly flat.

Laniakea (N) at 6:25 a.m.
I need to find a back-up site on the easterly shore.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:28 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:29 a.m.

There was a magnitude 4.8 earthquake about 35 miles northerly of Homer, AK. It did not generate a  tsunami.


There were 140 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 82,250. There were also 4 new deaths reported, increasing the death toll to 866; currently there are 2208 cases considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 75 with a positivity rate of 1.9%. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Dave & Nashla!

No comments:

Post a Comment