Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Temporary "Fix"

*This post was originally published with a couple of screen shots but no photos. My laptop stopped working on 10/09 & it took me a couple days to realize I could use Mom's old desktop to continue posting, but I was unable to figure out how to download photos from my phone. I did figure out how to do screen shots but I only added a few since cropping them was a painful process on the old machine. When my laptop was working again on 10/14, I uploaded the photos and updated this post a few days later. I also corrected the missing 'okina and kahako.

I hooked up Mom's old desktop last night; we never did get rid of it. And I have actually used it before when I had my laptop but wanted to have a 2nd screen to have a document or webpage loaded so I could refer to it during the contact tracer training last year or another conversation.

I still have to figure some things out with it, like how to get access to the 'okina & kahako when I am writing. I did figure out how to do screen shots so I can add information about the COVID-19 data. But it is much more cumbersome than on the laptop so I have scaled back the amount of screen shots I am doing until the laptop is up & running again.

I made another beet proothie this morning. But there are no photos. I need to download photos from my phone in order to have more space to take photos; I have not done that yet since I just realized I had this desktop available as an interim way to at least post text.

Luna is healing well. And she is still less grumpy than her usual self. Her appetite also appears to be returning; I found her this morning with a bag of Greenies Dental Treats that she was trying to tear in to!

I went to Kokua Market today; I was out of cottage cheese, keto cookie mix, sauerkraut/kimchee, and vegetables. While there I also picked up some vegan cheese; I am trying the smoked provolone. I also got some Steamed Broccoli & Kale, Cashew Crusted Cauliflower, and 3 Bean Vegan Chili. 


I also checked out the tree I was next to in the parking lot. I think it is a True Kou (Cordia subcordata) rather than the Haole Kou or Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestana), a non-native species. I will have to look for the dropped fruit for a more definitive answer.

Most likely Kou (Cordia subcordata).

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate received an ice maker as a belated birthday gift; it is a stand alone ice maker that sits on the counter. One design flaw is that the compartment that the ice cubes are ejected in to is not insulated or kept at freezing so the ice cubes will melt if you just leave them there. They had made enough ice cubes on Sunday to fill up the container we keep ice cubes in the freezer; this morning it was low. So I started it up with the Roommate's blessing. I discovered it takes a little over 7 minutes for it to make one batch of 9 "large" ice cubes that are about 1 inch long & about 3/4 inch in diameter; I have no idea what the dimensions are of the ice cubes that it produces on the "small" setting. It took a while to fill up the ice container; about 3&1/2 hours. On the plus side, it got me moving around every 7 minutes or so; if you leave the ice cubes in the machine until its ice basket is filled you end up with a bunch of partly melted ice cubes that freeze together when you put them in the freezer. I walked almost 1/2 mile!

The 1st batch of ice cubes.
Three & a half hours later.

For dinner I had some vegan chili, cauliflower broccoli & kale. These were the things I had picked up from the Kokua Market deli.


The Aix weather app forecast rain until mid-afternoon for Honolulu the drizzle for the remainder of the day. It was right about the drizzle but not about the rain. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast heavy rain until mid-afternoon tapering off to lighter rain for the rest of the day. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.51 inches by 6:50 a.m.; I do not have a later report. For Marysville, Aix forecast drizzles until the evening when there would be a heavy rain; I do not have any traffic cam info so I have no idea what really happened.

Honomū looking northerly at 6:50 a.m.
Nā Koʻolau at 1:55 p.m.; it's drizzling.

Kilauea  is still erupting. But the flow seems to have slowed even more; the thermal image of the lava lake shows a larger portion that is not as hot as before.


There were 49 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 81,663; this is from the tests run on Sunday which is usually lower than other days. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 845; currently there are 2834 cases considered active. As of yesterday there were 2,082,001 doses of vaccine administered, providing 69.6% of the population with full vaccination; 77.9% have received at least 1 dose. There are 147 patients that are currently hospitalized with 39 in the ICU & 29 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average for O'ahu is 101 with a positivity rate of 2.8%. (It took me about 10 minutes to crop this screen shot & insert it.) 


Hau'oli la Hanau e Kathy & Griffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment