Friday, October 15, 2021

Puʻuwai Momi O&E

I got an email first thing this morning from Marjorie confirming that the vaccine outreach & education event at Puʻuwai Momi this afternoon was still on; Jodee & Holly were the PHNs in charge on site. I was on Team #4 with PHN Julie as our lead; other team members were Paulus from the Hawaiʻi National Guard & PHN Gwyn (whom I had partnered with at the Nānākuli O&E event in September). All total our team canvassed 66 households; because there were good sight lines we individually went to the 4 units in each section. I knocked on 17 doors & talked to 14 households; nearly all the eligible household members were vaccinated. 


By the end of the event I had walked a little over 1 mile; because these were 2 story units about half of the households I went to were on the 2nd floor so I got in a little extra calorie-burning. I think the "elevation gain" notation on Samsung Health must be adding up all the times there is a gain in elevation to come up with that number.

Kinda reminds me of slug slime tracks on a car window.

I also saw PHNs Lynette, Christine, Meagan, & Lance; they all worked at the LCC vax POD. The MRCs there were Joyce (who I met doing grocery deliveries last year in May & then again at the LCC vax POD), Ann (who I met at one of the Kapolei O&Es), & Jeremy (who was at one of the Aloha Stadium testing events). Towards the end of the event, after we had finished canvassing & before the debriefing, I was talking with PHNs Lynnette, Gwyn, & Christine. They wanted to know where I got the Kohala Koolie I was wearing from; I told them my cousin made them & gave them the email that is on the tag of the Koolie. Then I texted Laurel so she would know to be looking out for those emails! Iʻm glad I can direct some business her way.


It's Friday so I weighed myself this morning. I gained 0.6 pounds over last week. I need to get out & be more active!


For breakfast this morning, I had the leftover beet proothie from yesterday; I think the chia seed makes it more gelatinous. I added about the same amount of coconut water to the leftovers & shook it up. I finished it off today. 

Because of the fluctuating case counts, OmniTrak is going back to having fewer people on the schedule of First Contact Callers. Dave also said they might need to send people home early or call people in to help fill in; I told him to put me on the Call List & if I am not on an outreach & education event I would come in. 


I checked on Luna before I started getting ready to leave & found she had gotten her cone collar off; she left it in the litter box. She was sleeping in the cat bed under The Roommate's bed. I checked out her stitches; she had not been pulling at them & her abdomen was no longer red or swollen. It looked quite normal; I left the collar off. I texted The Roommates to let them know. 


I think Keala misses having easy access to Luna; she's been meowing & coming up to me more frequently than usual. Even though there is some agonistic behavior between them, I think they still like having the ability to interact. 

She saw me near the door so is coming to talk to me.

I discovered that Vegan City has a rewards program. For each purchase you get points towards a discount on a future purchase. Because you automatically get 25 points for signing up, I now need only 9 more points to get $2.50 off the next purchase. Hūlo!


After I got back from Puʻuwai Momi, I checked in on Luna again. She was doing fine!


For dinner I heated up the vegan chili & cashew crusted cauliflower. I also had some of the steamed broccoli & kale. I've got one more serving of each left; I think I will have it for lunch tomorrow.


After dinner I got an email from Marjorie about an outreach & education event next week on the windward side. I told her I am available. 


The macOS Big Sur has more options for screen savers than my previous OS. I am trying a new one; it has words streaming across the screen, then one stops & the definition of the word pops up. I now know what a posset is. It also has a digital clock on the screen.

This is not how the definition shows up, I was unable to get a screen shot of that.

Interestingly, later in the evening, I got a reminder that I had not backed up my hard drive for 57 days. That's about right for the amount of information I am missing. I backed it up tonight.


Kīlauea is still erupting. Because of the numerous earthquakes the Hawaiʻi Volcano Observatory dedicated their Volcano Watch article this week to earthquake preparedness information.

Halemaʻumaʻu from the west rim at 10:31 a.m.
Halemaʻumaʻu from the west rim at 6:33 p.m.
Halemaʻumaʻu from the west rim at 10:31 a.m.
Halemaʻumaʻu from the west rim at 6:33 p.m.

The Aix weather app forecast rain through mid-afternoon for Honolulu, with partly cloudy skies until the evening before returning to rain. In actuality there were a couple of light sprinkles during the morning then nothing until well after dark. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day; Big Island Now forecast partly sunny with scattered showers & a 50% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.92 inches at 10:23 a.m.; that increased to 1.13 inches by 6:32 p.m. For Marysville, Aix forecast lots of rain throughout the day with the heaviest rainfall in the middle of the day. The traffic cam showed a wet roadway that was starting to dry out.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 10:22 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 10:23 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 10:24 a.m. HST.
Nā Koʻolau at 12:24 p.m.

The surf along the west shores has been higher than usual over the past few days which has hampered the search for a man who swept off a ledge; it is forecast to slowly subside over the next few days. There is some surf along the north & east shores but hardly any along the south shores.

Laniakea (N) at 10:24 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 10:25 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 10:26 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 10:28 a.m.

Sadly, the Honolulu Zoo's only male lion has died of COVID-19. They are unsure how he became exposed as all the keepers in close contact with the lions are vaccinated & have tested negative. One of the zoo's female lions has also tested positive but appears to be recovering.  


On the plus side, the State has reached 70% of the population being fully vaccinated; as of today 2,099,540 doses have been administered to provide that number with 78.2% having at least one dose. Earlier in the year it was thought that reaching a 70% vaccination rate would confer herd immunity on the community. Unfortunately, the Delta variant is more contagious so the vaccination rate needs to be much higher to break the lines of transmission.

There were 156 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 82,110. There were also 5 new deaths reported bringing the death toll up to 862; currently there are 2337 cases considered to be active.Currently 95 patients are still hospitalized with 30 in intensive care and 20 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average for O'ahu is 92 with a positivity rate of 2.1%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e hoa hanau Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment