Monday, October 25, 2021

NSW Walk

Today it was only Ron, Ken, & me doing the Neighborhood Security Watch walk about; Dwayne had to go help someone pick up a car. We walked for about 45 minutes & covered about 1.7 miles this morning; this surprises me because they don't seem like they walk that fast. Maybe its the conversation that makes it seem easier to do.


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's car was parked under the pink ʻohai aliʻi tree when I returned from the NSW walk. I had not noticed it when I left; I wasn't really sure if I had just missed it. I texted, he said he went to work but returned because he was not feeling well; his gout medication was making him very nauseous. 


I skipped the proothie this morning since I was walking so I did not eat until lunch when I made a wrap with the tempeh bacon, sharp cheddar, & corn tortilla. The tempeh bacon is smoked so it tastes more like bacon than the Beyond Meat bacon. Since it is a sharp cheddar it has less lactose than a fresh or less ripened cheese. It had a good taste but next time I think I will add some Tajin. And I need to find a more flexible wrap; the corn tortillas tend to crack when I try to wrap them around the fillings.


In the afternoon I got an email from Hawai'i Wildlife Center in preparation for the O'ahu Seabird Aid program. If there are birds that need to be taken to be picked up & Alexis is not available the Wheels for Wildlife volunteers would be called to do the transport. 


I also got an email from Mutual Publishing. It is from their Book Club & was highlighting books about the history of Hawaiʻi. I have 2 of them & there are several others that look interesting to me. FYI They will ship both off-island & out-of-state; I can also call in an order & arrange for curbside pick-up! They make it too easy to buy too many books!


For dinner tonight I had the remainder of the Provençal Chicken Stew, mixed veggies, & Mushrooms & Zucchini.


There was a new baby sloth born in early March at the Honolulu Zoo. The Zoo asked the public for help in naming the new male; the 4 other babies for mom Harriet were females. They announced the results today; the new baby is now named Pono. This Hawaiian word means goodness, proper, righteous, hope, & much more. Here is a live cam that looks in to the shelter for Harriet & Pono. When I first looked at the live cam I saw the Harriet outside in the pen s-l-o-w-l-y making her way to the shelter, curl up, & go to sleep. She never moved for the rest of the night!

At 8:06 p.m.
At 8:07 p.m.
At 8:08 p.m.

I have touched on the subject of island biodiversity before. There was another article today about the pressures on species living on islands which only comprise 6.7% of the surface area. Islands are home to 50% of the threatened species & 75% of known extinctions.


Just as in life when you are contemplating career changes & someone tells you when one door closes, another opens up, so have the Halloween opportunities on Hawaiʻi Island! Yesterday I noted that the Lua Lai neighborhoodʻs annual Halloween event had been cancelled due to COVID-19. Today I found out that the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park will be offering an alternative type of event at the Kīlauea Visitor Center this weekend. It will be a scavenger hunt along the trails in the park! And if you have a 4th grader in the car the entrance fee is waived!

At 6:48 a.m.
At 6:48 a.m.

The Aix weather app forecast rain in Honolulu until about mid-afternoon then partly cloudy skies; in reality it was partly cloudy skies all day. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain until mid-afternoon with a partly cloudy break until later in the evening when it would start raining again. The Honomū weather station had recorded 0.01 inches by 6:40 a.m. & none for the remainder of the day. For Marysville, Aix forecast rain throughout the day with the heaviest rain from mid-morning through mid-afternoon. The traffic cams showed only a light intermittent drizzle both times.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:39 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:49 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 6:43 a.m.
Kaimukī looking northerly at 8:49 a.m.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 5:26 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 5:26 p.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 5:26 p.m. HST.

The north facing shorelines continue to have the best surf conditions today. The south facing shorelines are rather flat.

Laniakea (N) at 6:43 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 6:44 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:47 p.m.
Laniakea (N) at 5:28 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 5:30 p.m.; gone again!
Waikīkī (S) at 5:31 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 5:31 p.m.

There was a magnitude 4.9 earthquake off Monterey, CA, this afternoon. It did not generate a tsunami.


There were 97 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 83,448. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 888; currently there are 1665 cases considered active. There are 72 patients currently hospitalized with 18 in the ICU & 12 on ventilators. The State's 7-day new case average is 121 with a positivity rate of 2.1%; the 6-day new case average for Oʻahu is 70 with a positivity rate of 2.0%.  


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Diane!

No comments:

Post a Comment