Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Making Lemonade

Today I volunteered for the vaccine outreach & education event out at Koʻolauloa, near Valley of the Temples. I was supposed to be on Team #1 which was led by PHN Maegan, she was also at the LCC vaccine POD. But as I was on the freeway heading there, I got a phone call from Marjorie; I'm glad I can talk on the phone through my car! Otherwise I would not have answered the phone. Marjorie was calling to say that the event had been cancelled. I got off at the nearest exit & started thinking about what I might be able to pick up for dinner on Waiakamilo Road or nearby. Hawaiian Pie Company? No, they are currently pre-order only & I'm trying to minimize extra carbs. Utage Restaurant? No, I would want the shoyu pork & I am trying to minimize my red meat intake. Wait! Nico's! For a fresh fish dish! Hūlo! I had the Catch of the Day which was panko-crusted ahi topped with a tomato basil bisque. I dunno, I still prefer their Furikake Crusted Ahi.

Leaving the freeway.
Nico's Fish Market COVID-19 compliance sign.
Nico's at Pier 38 menu & COVID-19 compliance monitor.
Catch of the Day.

This morning I made another beet proothie; there is only one more beet root left from this batch. But never fear, I found another bag of beets stashed away in the very back of the other refrigerator.


Ikuna came by this morning to talk about trimming the mango tree. Earlier, during mango season, Amy from across the street introduced me to him; she was having her mango tree trimmed & wanted to know if we wanted ours done at the same time. Since it had a bunch of young fruit, & it had been a couple years since we had any mangoes, I asked him to come back after mango season. So he did. He & his crew will be coming by tomorrow around lunch to trim the tree.

I had another surprise visit later in the morning. Mike from Spectrum was knocking on the utility room door! He was actually looking for the back unit of the lot next door. I pointed him in the right direction. 

When I was filling up my water bottle in preparation for the outreach & education event, I discovered something interesting. I keep my water bottle in the refrigerator, when I looked in it today the ice cubes that I had in it 2 days ago were still there! I guess the back of the refrigerator stays pretty cold.


As I was getting ready to leave the house, I heard a strange scraping sound in the cat run. I looked out to see Keala pushing one of The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's bonsai pots around. I think she must have been chasing a lizard which was now hiding under the pot.


In case you're wondering, I did eat one of the Double Chocolate Muffins. They're okay, but I like the Double Chocolate Cookies better. Unfortunately, right now, I have twice as many muffins as cookies; I eat either a muffin or a cookie each evening. It's going to take me a while to get rid of all those muffins.

I have now finished all the October posts that I had not completed before the laptop died. I have also now gone back & filled in the posts on the 3 days that I was working on the desk top & unable to download photos from my phone. I will now be moving on to complete the 4 posts from September that were written but that did not have all the photos inserted before the laptop crashed; wish me luck on those.

Here's another video about the activity at Kīlauea Crater from yesterday.

At 6:16 a.m.
At 4:47 p.m.
At 6:17 a.m.
At 4:47 p.m.
 

The Aix weather app forecast drizzles in Honolulu throughout the day; I did not see any. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast drizzles through about lunch time then partly cloudy skies in the after, returning to drizzles in the evening. Big Island Now forecast partly sunny skies with scattered showers & a 50% chance of rain; the Honomū weather station recorded no precipitation for the day. For Marysville, Aix forecast partly cloudy skies all day; this appeared to be true.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:08 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:08 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 6:08 a.m. HST.
Nā Koʻolau at 2:53 p.m.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 4:40 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 4:41 p.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 4:41 p.m. HST.

They have arrested a suspect in the arson that burned over 500 surfboards on Sunday; he is apparently also a suspect in another arson in the area that occurred about 2 weeks ago. It looks like the north facing shores will be the best for surfing over the next couple of days.

Laniakea (N) at 6:09 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:12 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:12 a.m.

There were 80 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 82,591; this is from the Sunday count which is always lower than the rest of the week so don't be surprised when the case count is higher tomorrow. There  no new deaths reported so the number of fatalities remains at 876; currently 1968 cases are considered active. 



Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bob, Alison, Dan, Kiko, & Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment