Saturday, October 2, 2021

Uber for Wildlife

Fallout season is approaching! I picked up a Wedge-Tailed Shearwater from Feather & Fur Animal Hospital this morning; it was going to Hawaiʻi Island for rehabilitation. I will have to find out from Heidi who the OSA Project Manager is this year & what dates the project is running.

‘Ua‘u Kani or Wedge-tailed Shearwater (Puffinus pacificus).

Both going to Feather & Fur, then to the airport, I ran in to roadwork. In fact, part of the H3 freeway that I usually take to get to the airport from Feather & Fur was completely closed! I had to go the longer, slower way which involved a little back tracking.

Road work on Kamehameha Hwy on the way to Feather & Fur.
Closure sign on H-3 on the way to the airport.
The H-3 detour; I have to go back the way I came.
Road work on Pali Highway.

The little extra time I had when I left the house helped me make it to all my stops on time. The 1st stop at the airport is the State Agriculture Interisland Inspection Office; I needed to get approval to ship live animals inter-island. Once that was done, I could take the bird to Hawaiian Air Cargo, which is on the other side of the airport, near the Federal Detention Center. I made it there & was in line about 15 minutes earlier than I needed to be; they want any live animals to be there 2 hours before the flight departs. 

On the road to the ag inspection office.
Everyone waits outside while they inspect the animal.
On the road to Hawaiian Air Cargo.
Iʻm going to that building ahead.
One of the many COVID precautions at Hawaiian Air Cargo.

For my Feast Day I made a blueberry proothie with about a 1/2 cup of sour cream. I was out of soymilk so I was using only coconut water as the liquid in the proothie; I added the sour cream to give it a little more body. It was very good! I would make this one again.


On the way back from the airport, I stopped to pick up some groceries. I also went to Otto Cake to pick up a 6" Amazing Plain cheesecake for the birthday celebration tomorrow evening.


During lunch I watched an episode of The Blacklist; this is the other series that Kai put on my watch list. If is a police procedural but with the FBI; a master criminal gives himself up, demanding to talk with a brand new profiler in order to catch other master criminals.

For dinner I had the remaining mozzarella chicken meatballs & some chipotle sauerkraut.


This morning Keala wassnoozing on the couch. Later in the early afternoon she was in the cat run. I did not see her playing with any prey items but she was doing strange things out there. She was pushing one of The Potential Most Favorite Roommateʻs bonsai around,

I wonder if there is a little critter under there?

The eruption at Kīlauea is still active. Today park officials pointed out which viewing areas offer a peek at the lava lake. The photos that I have been posting are from web cams that are located in areas that are off limits to visitors due to hazardsʻ scientists also minimize their time in those locations. The l;ive cameras allow scientists & others top see what is happening in a safe manner, no matter where they are located.


Every year Hawaiian monk seals are found that are in need of rehabilitation. They are taken to Ke Kai Ola Marine Mammal Centerin Kailua-Kona for rehabilitation. (The Hawaii Wildlife Center refers calls about seals to Ke Kai Ola; HWC only has permits for endangered birds & bats.)


The Aix weather app forecast rain in Honolulu through early afternoon, then drizzles until rain began again during the evening. In Honolulu itself it was more drizzles when Aix said rain & partly cloudy skies when Aix said drizzle; the only place Aix may have been correct is right near the mountains. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day; the local paper forecast scattered showers with a 50% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.13 inches at 6:40 a.m. which increased to 0.16 inches by 9:39 p.m. For Marysville, Aix forecast partly cloudy skies all day; that seemed accurate. (Times listed are approximate, since I lost the original photos I am unable to confirm their exact time taken.)

Kaimukī looking westerly around 6:37 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:37 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 6:43 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking easterly about 7:30 a.m.
Nā Koʻolau at about 7:35 a.m.
Drizzle in Nuʻuanu about 7:40 a.m.
Rain on the way up to Pali Highway tunnels about 7:45 a.m.
Itʻs drier on downhill side of tunnels about 7:50 a.m.
Drizzle leaving airport around 9:15 a.m.
Nā Koʻolau at about 9:30 a.m.
Kaimukī looking northerly at about 11:00 a.m.
Kaimukī looking westerly about 5:40 p.m.

Marysville looking southerly at 5:42 p.m. HST.

The surf appeared best on north & west facing shorelines. The south & east facing shorelines were a little below normal levels for this season.

Laniakea (N) about 6:30 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) about 6:30 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) about 6:30 a.m.
Banyans (E) about 6:30 a.m.
 

Thereis a low pressure area about 1600 miles southeast of Hilo. Forecasters give it a 10% chance of developing in to a more organized weather system over the next 5 days.


There were 279 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the number of known cases up to 79,851. There were also 12 new deaths reported, increasing the death toll to 801; currently there are 4653 cases considered active. As of yesterday, 2,012,454 doses of vaccine were administered, providing 68^ of the population with full vaccination & 76.1% with at least one dose. There are 182 patients that are hospitalized with 45 in the ICU and 34 on ventilators. The 7-day new case count is 192 with a positivity rate of 4.0%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e

No comments:

Post a Comment