Monday, September 24, 2018

A Day Full of Wildlife

I dropped The Roommates & their friend off at the airport at 5 a.m. this morning; then I went to the park to look for birds. When I started my walk it was 5:21; I got settled at the park at 5:40. I was hoping to see an owl on the walk or in the park before daybreak; no luck. It was a very quiet & peaceful walk under a full moon.
Full moon over the city.
Dawn at the park.

I started hearing birds around 5:50; I saw the first bird at the park at 6:01, a Kolea! I heard the Kolea before I saw them; the pair landed about a minute apart. They stayed and foraged peacefully until about 6:14 when Cody, Robbie, & their human came to the park. I don't know what it is about me, but Cody has always barked at me since I first met him & he won't come close to me either; he did that this morning while I was quietly sitting & facing away from him. The Kolea flew to the roof while the dogs were on the field; I was pleased to see that the Kolea returned & continued their foraging about a minute after the dogs left. I spent about an hour down at the field and also saw Red-vented Bulbuls, a male White-rumped Shama, Spotted Doves, & Zebra Doves, along with a bunch of little brown birds that I couldn't identify since they were backlit & flying away from me.
Kolea.


I then went and sat at the upper forested area for about 20 minutes. I saw Red-vented Bulbuls, Zebra doves, a male White-rumped Shama, and Rose-ringed Parakeets there. On my return walk I noticed that another flower on the cluster of Monstera flowers that I have been watching has bloomed.
Sunrise in the forested area.
White-rumped Shama.
Newly opened Monstera flower.

As I got back to the upper parking lot a small flock of Rose-ringed Parakeets landed in a clump of palms on the grassy hillside above the lot. I think it was the same flock I saw down at the park; they were eating the small fruit of the palms.
Rose-ringed Parakeets.

Dad was soundly asleep when I came in; it was about 30 minutes earlier than I usually get to his room. He didn't want to get out of bed; his right shoulder & arm were bothering him more than usual. Dr. Greis came by and checked it out; Dad's shoulder was stiff so Dr. Greis is prescribing an ointment to be applied by the nurses. Dad ate one bite of his scrambled eggs and drank all his supplements.

I was interviewed by Kristine for a survey being done by the Hawai'i State Department of Health. It is apparently an annual visit made to all nursing homes to check up on them. I think Maunalani does a great job here.

Dad went to the Namaste massage this morning; he wanted them to work on his shoulder. During my mid-morning walk I didn't see any Kolea, in fact, there were no birds at all at the park. I got a call from Kai as I was on my way back from the park; his computer is dying & he needed some money to cover the new parts for it & for the CV joint on the Subaru. He's going to send me the specifics of what he needs; I told him I would spend as much on him as I had on Xander.

As I ended my walk I got a text from him, "Oh, I forgot to ask. Saw a small rodent in the alley by the bank. It held its tail very stiff and parallel to the ground, but not on the ground. Gait was more what I'd describe as hopping, not scurrying. Is that enough info to ID it?" I'm good, but not that good! While dripping sweat onto my phone, I texted back, "No. Define small; shape/size of ears; length of tail relative to body i.e. as long as, 1/2 L of body, etc.; color - gray, grayish-brown, white [belly] & feet, etc.; size & shape of snout i.e. long & skinny, round, etc. Anything else you can recall." I'll help you, too, with an ID for things in western Washington or Hawai'i, just give me as much information as you can.

I also gave Kai a tentative ID of shrew and sent him 2 video links of running shrews, one on gravel, the other on grass, for him to see if that's what it looked like. And an article about shrew facts and shrews in Washington. The gait is what I am keying on, though I really would like more information to work with to make even this broad an identification. FYI Shrews are not rodents; sometimes I disregard information people give me if it confounds the potential identification and give them options of what it might be.

Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Garden salad, Bread pudding, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. Dad didn't eat anything.


I skipped my afternoon walk; Curtis was not able to come since he got a call & they will be starting his living room floor tomorrow so he and DT have to move everything else out today. I also had a dental cleaning with Dr. Azuma this afternoon; he also refined the replacement filling that had a sharp edge near my tongue.
Aquarium in the lobby.
The usual view.
Gyotaku of 116 pound ulua.

On the way to the dentist I passed one of the traffic signal boxes that is being painted by local artists to help make the area more colorful. I saw it on the day they first started, then again when it was almost finished; but I was always driving until today when I had to stop for the traffic signal.
Northeast corner of 11th & Harding; its at about 0:35 on the video linked above.

My Sukeen cooling towels arrived today! According to the description on the Internet, you wet it, snap it, and it gets cooler. I tried that, but I couldn't feel a difference. But one thing I know is it will be cooler than not having a damp towel with me. It is also not supposed to get hard and stiff as it dries out like the FroggTogg Chilly Pad that I have. As I type this it is 9:30 pm & 81 degrees F; I have a towel draped around my neck & down the front of my shirt. It has helped keep me from sweating while I sit here quietly typing.


I'm not a TV person, but I decided to watch the Magnum PI reboot that premiered tonight. Since I never watched the original Magnum PI I can't really compare them but I can say I do like that the lead character is a person of color. I did notice, like both Hawai'i Five-O's, when they say someone is going somewhere (like Tanatalus) it does start out there, but then morphs into somewhere else that is more scenically exciting.


Happy Birthday to Alan, Lane, Kathy, & Stacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment