Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tropical Storm Olivia

Today is the day that we were supposed to get hit by Tropical Storm Olivia later in the evening. It was supposed to pass over Maui and be close enough to O'ahu to cause a bunch of issues. But throughout the day Olivia was getting weaker and slower; the 5 p.m. forecast showed Olivia moving a little south of the previous track, taking the center more over the Alenuihaha Channel and affecting the northern part of the Big Island and less of O'ahu. The 8 p.m. update showed it is continuing to weaken, winds are now down to about 50 mph, and movement has slowed to 8 mph. Now it looks like it won't make it to the islands until about 6 Wednesday morning.
At 5 p.m.

Lunch today was Cheeseburger on bun, Hawaiian coleslaw, Banana pudding, and Seafood chowder. There was also a tossed salad (or perhaps it was a green salad) on my tray. Dad only drank his supplements today; he commented on how windy and drizzly the weather was as we sat out on the lanai.


On my morning walk I found that the Surinam cherries are starting to ripen; I also saw an unfortunate dove. At the park I saw Dawn, Coco, & Chloe and Bruce & Chris. Bruce was very interested in Coco & Chloe. During my mid-morning walk I almost came back with a dog! There was a dog on the field, lying on the far side while a man walked to the parking lot. The dog got up and began following me, I finally got it to go back and lie down. In the meanwhile the guy got in to a car, started it up, and moved the car to the exit. He called the dog and it went over to him and they left. During my afternoon walk I saw 2 Kolea, one was up on the steps, the other on the field. I also saw that there were a whole lot more mushrooms on that lawn near the driveway to the lower parking lot.
Surinam cherry (Eugenia uniflora).
The unfortunate Spotted Dove (Spilopelia chinensis); it's a juvenile so it hasn't gotten its spots yet.
Amanita sp. with Kolea (Pacific Golden Plover, Pluvialis fulva) on the slope to the top left.

After my morning walk I sat with Dad at breakfast for a short while before I had to go to my annual check-up with Dr. Pham; it didn't feel like a year but it had been. All except one of my blood test results were back, they looked good; Dr. Pham will call me if the A1C results are bad, which I don't expect. If my A1C is bad in spite of all the exercise that I do, then I'm in trouble! We discussed my fibromyalgia and how exercise & massage really helps minimize spasms & the intensity of the spasms. While there I also got the flu & pneumonia shots so that I reduce my chances of being a vector and bringing them in to Maunalani.

Getting my pneumonia vaccine.

Shiro's gums were pale so I called Veterinary Referral + Emergency Center (VERC); they told me to bring him in immediately. It turns out his red blood cell count was the same as it was after his transfusion even though he was still anemic; to me his gums just looked paler than they did then. He's back home and will be going back on Friday for another Elspar treatment for the lymphoma in his spleen. On a sad note, a couple brought in their French bulldog that had chewed on a toad; it was vomiting & had seizures. He passed away shortly after they brought him in; they just got him yesterday.

Happy Birthday to Karen & Seth! And Happy 17th Anniversary to Ken & Dorothy!

No comments:

Post a Comment