Saturday, September 8, 2018

Getting Ready for Olivia

I spent time this morning & later in the day picking up pots and other things around the yard in preparation for Hurricane Olivia. I put the ones that are still in usable condition under the house; the rest will get thrown out.
These pots are getting thrown out.
I forgot the before photo; just imagine a bunch of pots sitting at the base of the tree.

Hurricane Olivia crossed over in to the Central Pacific today as a Category 1; it is about 935 miles easterly of Hilo. They anticipate some weakening & are not yet sure whether it will make landfall, and if so, where. Even if Olivia or its extended wind footprint does not hit the Big Island, the preparations I am making are appropriate for every other system headed our way.
At 5 p.m.

The most important task for today was lunch with Uncle Kazu; he wanted to just eat at the hospital instead of getting in the car & going somewhere to eat. Which was just as well since Minnie's is closed on the weekend! I picked up a couple plate lunches at L & L Barbecue and took them to him; he would have had a difficult time negotiating the maze to get up to the seating area. Afterwards I made a quick run to King's View Cafe to pick up ice cream. Uncle Kazu said he can ask for ice cream any time he wants at the hospital, but they only give him the kind in the cup, not the high-priced gourmet ice cream! Because we were eating outside, the photos did not come out at all. But I did get him racing around the parking lot during his after lunch exercise session; this may be why the CEO wants staff to be with him at all times when he is in the parking lot. (He's somewhat annoyed with that!)
Uncle Kazu at the start of the slight downhill incline; I have to jog to keep up with him on this portion.

I think I figured out why these shorts were on sale. When I sit they bunch up in the crotch, then when I stand they take a while to unbunch. In the meanwhile, the pocket, which is a contrasting color, sticks out the lower edge of the shorts.
This pocket is empty.

I also spent time today taking a bunch of photos in the anthurium garden and around the yard so I can print them, mark them up, scan them, and send them to Greg at Aikane Nursery so there is even less confusion over what I would like them to do. I also took measurements so I can get started on the plans for the expansion of the sewing room.


I also picked up a bunch of macadamia nuts from the ground around the tree. That's basically how you harvest them. I got about a gallon after only about 15 minutes work.


While I was at it, I set up a ladder at the edge of the garage to take photos of the position of the shadow on the garage roof in the afternoon.  Zachary was saying that I wouldn't have much sun after about 2 p.m. I told him that was not true, because of the orientation of the main roof and its height; the photos support my assertion. Though I wish it was sunnier today so the shadows would be more distinct.
Ladder set up at edge of garage roof.
Shadows on roof at about 2 p.m.
Shadows on roof at about 3 p.m.

I invited Jessie, Lem & Fran over for pie & ice cream tonight. I also invited the Ohtas but they were unable to come due to family obligations. As always, we had such a great time I forgot to take photos!

Yesterday The Roommates texted me; Shiro had not been eating for a couple of days. I told them about the raw food in the freezer; he ate a little of that but not a full meal. I arranged for them to take him to the Cat Clinic today; they did. He is now at Veterinary Emergency + Referral Clinic; I spoke with the vet this evening. An ultrasound showed he has an enlarged spleen; it might be a lymphoma, we'll know after the cytology report is back. In the meanwhile, he is getting intravenous fluids because he is dehydrated; he will also get a dose of a chemotherapy drug that will show results in 24 to 48 hours if he is responding to it. I will visit him tomorrow evening after I get back.

Norman is a tropical storm about 400 miles northerly of Honolulu and continues to head in that direction. It is expected to become a post-tropical depression and they will no longer be providing updates on Norman.
At 11 a.m.

Happy 34th Anniversary to Joan & Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment