Thursday, September 27, 2018

Honoring Dad at Maunalani

Today was the day they asked Curtis & I to do a short presentation about Dad; they are honoring all their veterans in a lead up to Veterans Day in November. We concentrated on Dad's time in the military and his love of fishing.
Dad being introduced by Czarina, Director of Community Life at Maunalani.
Dad with Lynn, his friend Walter's daughter (the ukulele player).
Curtis describing Dad's painting of a city in Italy. Photo of Dad at Iolani Palace induction ceremony in background.
Curtis explaining about the bait box Dad made, while being watched by Dad & Arceli, Activity Coordinator at Maunalani.

The weather today has been very muggy; the strange wind pattern is holding for a few more days. During my morning walk I was happy that there was a large cloud blocking the direct sun but allowing the rest of the sky to be blue. The sun finally broke out from behind it just as I was grabbing my gear and heading to the overlook to do my cool down stretches. The pair of Kolea were at the park foraging & didn't pay much attention to me. On my walk down Matsonia I heard a bunch of barking dogs & discovered where Cody & Robbie live. I also saw the Monstera, there are now 3 brown flower sheaths and a new flower forming; I couldn't get a photo today because of the car parked in front of it.

Dad was in his wheelchair in the Orchid Dining Room eating breakfast when I arrived; he had a couple bites of papaya & 1 bite of scrambled eggs. He wanted to get back in bed, I let him sleep through Namaste so that he would have more energy for the afternoon so he could be present for the event honoring him.

Unlike my early morning walk, during my mid-morning walk it was very sunny. The muggy weather was not helping matters; I heard the heat index for today was 97 degrees F. As I was coming up Lurline I heard what sounded like a rush of water somewhat like a flash flood would make only much smaller. All of a sudden there was a bunch of water coming down the side of the street in the swale; a mini-flash flood! Further up the road it became apparent it was coming from one of the Board of Water Supply construction sites I walk past, there just never was any water running along the side of the road before. My Keen's kept my feet dry when I had to cross the water.


Lunch today was Spaghetti & meat sauce, Italian vegetable blend, Garden salad, Fresh honeydew cubes, & Cream of broccoli soup. I'm not sure what made the vegetable blend Italian, but there was edamame in it which I have never thought of as being Italian. Dad did not want to eat anything or drink his supplements.


The things I ordered from Hammacher Schlemmer arrived today. I got 2 mosquito-killing light bulbs for the Kohala house; its like a zapper at the base of the bulb so as they are attracted to the porch light at the front and back doors they get zapped. I also got a hat that is supposed to repel mosquitoes and a radiant barrier hat for Kai that is supposed to keep you cooler. I also got a guacamole keeper since I like guacamole and I have an avocado tree that I anticipate will produce a lot of fruit! I also got a birthday present for The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes; you'll have to wait until after I give it to him to find out what it is since he reads the blog.
Clockwise spiral from upper left: mosquito-repelling hat, radiant barrier hat, guacamole keeper, mosquito-killing light bulb, & present for The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes.

Happy Birthday to Angela, Brent, & Mia! Happy 43rd Anniversary to Dwight & Colleen!

No comments:

Post a Comment