Friday, September 7, 2018

Visit to Hilo

I went to visit Aunty Doris & Uncle Tom in Hilo today. I left a little early since I also needed to go to Hawaiian Electric Light Company (HELCO), too. We had lunch at Coqui's Hideaway; they had not been there for a while and wanted to check it out again. Uncle Tom had the Chicken Pho, Aunty Doris had the Spring Roll Noodle Salad, and I had the Chicken Spring Roll Noodle Salad.

Uncle Tom with Chicken Pho and Aunty Doris with Spring Roll Noodle Salad.
My Chicken Spring Roll Noodle Salad.

While driving around before and after lunch we were able to see some of the effects of the heavy rains that came in with Hurricane Lane. The Wailuku River was still running a little brown. And in the park there was a lot of the debris that was deposited by the flooding.
The muddy Wailuku River.


I took a short nap after we returned from lunch. When I got up, Aunty Doris & Uncle Tom were watching one of their favorite programs, Cycle Around Japan. It was very interesting and has inspired me to find a bike tour around Japan (or elsewhere); I could really get in to that.


When I woke up this morning it looked like it would be a nice day. I could see a faint pinkish hue on the patchy clouds behind the ironwoods, which meant the sun was out. I'm glad I repositioned my bed so that I can see out the window without getting out of bed.
Looking out the window from bed.

When I talked to Zachary yesterday I found out I needed to update the name on the billing account: it still had Grandma's name on it. The person I called at HELCO started the process but was told I needed to be there in person to provide a legal identification as well as my Social Security card to verify my social security number; I told her that card was in Honolulu but I had an income tax return with the number on it. I did all that before I went to have lunch. On the way in to Hilo I was stopped at a construction zone twice; once for slide repair work and once for road repaving work.
One of the many small slides along the road side.

I also stopped at Alae Cemetery to put flowers at the grave of my great-grandparents, Grandma's parents. I found a whole bunch of flowers there; I learned later that Aunty Doris had been there just last week.


I also made a quick stop at Donna's Cookies in Paauilo. Kai likes to stop there because they give out samples. When you walk in the door you are also right at the packaging area; the retail sales portion is about the first 4 feet by 6 feet of area when you open the door. I got some cookies for The Roommates and some for omiyage for Aunty Doris & Uncle Tom; they keep much better than malasadas. (Looking on their website, I noticed it says they are at my local Takata Store. I will have to check that out; that will be a lot easier to get them for Kai than driving all the way to Paauilo!)


I also made a stop at Big Island Candies to get some of their cookies. Kai prefers their cookies to Mrs. Barry's Kona Cookies; which means I need to plan ahead to get them since I can't just run in to pick them up just before I catch my plane. I saw some cookies made like Mexican style hot chocolate with chiles; but Kai will have to just come & visit in person if he wants some of that. Big Island Candies also has a place where you can watch the production of the cookies.
One of the many displays of the different kinds of cookies they have.
The Mexican-style chocolate cookies.
The factory viewing area.

After lunch some dark gray clouds rolled in; it looked like it would be bad weather on the Saddle Road so I thought I would have to sit in traffic again on the way back. But after my nap & watching the cycling show the weather had cleared up, so I decided to take the Saddle Road. It wasn't quite as nice; it drizzled for a short while and there was a bunch of fog. But by the time I got to Pohakuloa it had cleared up; I took the back way in to Waimea through Waikii, then went on the Kohala Moutain Road.

Norman is petering out and is now just a tropical storm and is predicted to dissipate within 5 days. It continues to move away from the state.
At 11 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Leno, Charlene, Kuulei, & Grey!

No comments:

Post a Comment