Friday, September 28, 2018

There is a Disturbance in the Force

... er, I mean, Central Pacific. The disturbance has crossed over from the Eastern Pacific; it's winds are not yet strong enough to designate it as a cyclone but they anticipate it has an 80% chance of becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 hours, possibly as early as tonight. Stay tuned!


During my morning walk I saw a Kolea at the park. It was watching me closely as I moved away from it. Then a lady with 2 dogs came jogging on to the field; I had seen her earlier as I approached the park, she was jogging along the path at the bottom of the forested area and looked like she was leaving, I did not see the dogs at that time. As soon as the dogs got on to the field the Kolea flew off. Later on Matsonia I found another dead invasive, another toad!


My mid-morning walk started out with a drizzle that quickly turned to mist, then dissipated. It was relatively cool when it was misting, but became very muggy once it stopped. There was only one Kolea down at the park and it was rather nervous but did not fly off; I did see someone leaving with a large dog as I had approached the park. The Board of Water Supply has started to work on Matsonia today, it looks like they will be digging things up like they have been doing on Sierra & Maunalani Circle. I got a photo of a bamboo stand on Matsonia that will be a good subject of a painting.

Close-up it looks like someone has painted stripes on the culms!

Lunch today was Sesame chicken, Steamed rice, Namasu, Tossed salad, Banana bar, & Minestrone soup. Before we were done Dad needed to use the toilet; while we were gone one of the management people who was helping took away all our lunch! By the time she was able to get another sandwich Dad was even less in the mood for eating; he didn't even feel like drinking his supplements so he had nothing at all for lunch. But he did have fun playing with a Gold Dust Day Gecko that came to visit him.

The Gold Dust Day Gecko comes to visit Dad.
The gecko decided to check out Dad's lunch.
The gecko leaped on the the planter ...
... then leaped on to Dad's shoulder.
It jumped to his wheelchair, then back to the planter.

Yesterday Dad received several lei as part of the event honoring him. They're now all hanging off of the light over his bed along with the shell lei he got for being a grandfather.

I skipped my afternoon walk so that I could see the event to honor Mr. Kalaukoa; he is one of the residents that I talk to every time I see him in the hallways. He always greets me like I am someone he knows from before; I wanted to meet one of his relatives to see if I might look like someone Mr. Kalaukoa knows. I met his daughter Sandra, she said she just thinks he's a friendly guy. Today was also Mr. Kalaukoa's 88th birthday.


Kai is having front end work done on the Subaru; he knew it needed a new CV joint but it looks like it really needs a whole new front axle. The trick will be in finding a replacement axle in working condition for a 26 year old Subaru!

Happy Birthday to Dorothy, Hannele, Sheryl, & Isaiah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment