Saturday, February 2, 2019

Another Wet Day

It had been drizzling harder at the bottom of the hill but had slowed down by the time I got to the parking lot. On the way up I saw Lorraine and Steph at different parts of the hill. Later when I was walking Lorraine had caught up to Steph & they were walking up Sierra together by the park. I also saw Scout & Mark and Kavita on Sierra; I passed them again when they were on Lurline. I didn't see anyone else, I think it was because of the drizzle.
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fifteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra. It's drizzling.

When I walked from the3rd floor entrance to the elevator, I passed 2 rooms that had one of the name tags removed from the placard by the door. They were kupuna that I had not met, one of them had not been here very long. May be they were like Ann's uncle Mr. Chong who went home because he was better and not someone who left in the ambulance yesterday.

Dad was awake and eating; he finished off about 1/4 of a fried egg sandwich and about 1/2 the papaya. He also finished all 240 ml each of the Plus and Breeze supplements.


It was still drizzling as I got ready to do my mid-morning walk; the worst part was that my top was still damp from the morning walk and would be cold & clammy when I put it on. I waited for about 15 minutes to see if the drizzle would stop. It didn't. So I didn't.  

The positive thing about the intermittent wet weather is that the ground where we will be planting the hāpuʻu is becoming saturated. The little bit of rain followed by a short period of no rain allows the soil to soak up more of the water rather than having all the pore spaces near the surface fill up, forcing the rest of the precipitation to run off because there is no place for the water to go. I hope we get some of this kind and frequency of precipitation after the hāpuʻu is planted.

When RN Sierra came in to give Dad his medications before lunch, she dropped a glove. When she went to pick it up she saw a bunch of ants! They were along the wall and on the base of Dad's rolling tray table; I tracked them along the wall and found they were coming in from the window. Sierra called Maintenance and Orlando was here in about 5 minutes! He sprayed them with Hot Shot Ant & Roach Spray. I checked, the active ingredients are Imiprothrin and Lambda-Cyhalothrin, which are artificial pyrethrins that have a low toxicity to humans. Gloria arrived before Orlando was done spraying; she swept up the dead ants and got rid of everything in the rubbish can. I know the ants weren't coming for the things in the rubbish can; it seems like it gets emptied every hour or so! We think someone spilled some juice on the base of the tray table and along the wall.
This is what tipped RN Sierra off that there was a problem.
An close-up of the ants.

Lunch today was Steak & mushroom sauce, Steamed rice, Vegetable of the day, Tossed salad, Boston cream cake, and Tomato bisque soup. It was still drizzling at lunch time; I would have gotten totally soaked if I had done my mid-morning walk. And I would have been miserable since I forgot to bring my fleece with me today. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich but none of the dessert; he drank about half of the supplements.


After lunch the drizzle stopped and the sun came out; I was able to do my afternoon walk. My top was still a little damp from my morning walk; it had not fully dried before I started my afternoon walk. But only a few minutes in to my walk it was dry. I saw Suzette & Lola up on Maunalani Circle; they were out enjoying a walk in the sunshine. Later I found the remains of a bird's egg, not sure which bird it belongs to.

It's about the size of a quarter.

I'm not a fan of Big Brother, so I watched Lone Wolf with Cub; it's an old samurai series in Japanese with subtitles that The Roommates and I watched several months ago by accident. But then we started watching it most weekends, along with a Filipino soap opera called My Destiny. After Lone Wolf with Cub was Partners, a Japanese police procedural. I think I might watch this for a couple of weeks to see what its about; its kinda like a Japanese Sherlock Holmes.

A very special belated Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mr. Ikuma; yesterday was his 100th birthday! Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mrs. Toyama, Jennifer, and Sean! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo # 67 to Lem & Doreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment