Sunday, February 17, 2019

Day Before GAR

Today is my last day to prepare for the Great Aloha Run. Tonight I need to go to bed early since we need to be leaving the house about 4:30 tomorrow morning in order to catch TheBus to the Sheraton Waikiki to meet up with the shuttle that will take us to within a couple blocks of the start of the GAR. When we get there we have to find the staging area for walkers at the Back of the Pack. The forecast for tomorrow notes "some passing showers" which I welcome!
(Screen shot from KGMB TV)

Shirley, Dad's roommate Mr. Yamada's daughter, came by after lunch with her father and gave me a present for the GAR. I am intrigued by the use of mustard for cramps; over the last couple of days I have had some cramps in my feet at night. The magnesium malate that Dr. Shaw prescribed for me a couple years ago got rid of the cramps that I would get in my calves but haven't done anything about the feet cramps. Or if the magnesium malate is helping, I would hate to see how much more pain I would have been in without it!

I also made up a batch of the homemade "sports drink" that I would use when I was doing a lot of biking. It is made up of one part frozen apple juice + one part frozen lemonade, mixed per directions, plus 1/4 teaspoon salt. I have filled up my insulated water bottle and two 1 liter reused plastic bottles, one bottle is in the freezer & the other is in the refrigerator. There are 4 water stations along the route, the first about 2 miles from the start. For me I have found drinking a couple ounces every 15 minutes worked best to keep me going for a full 8 hours or more of biking. I know I'm not doing 8 hours and walking is less intense than the biking I used to do, but it certainly can't hurt. And with the fibromyalgia I would rather do more to keep my body working well than just do the minimum. And yes, drinking liquids every 15 minutes means I have to pee often, like every half hour or so. But when I am sweating it is about every hour; hopefully porta-potties are conveniently placed.


My morning walk was amazing, it always is, even when its a little wet. It is a very peaceful time of the day. Today I saw Lorraine as I was on my way down Sierra; she said she had a late start. Later Suzette stopped by while I was doing my cool down stretches; she wished me Good Luck in the Great Aloha Run tomorrow! I saw a Northern Cardinal, it came down to the road, which is not its usual location. I also saw a Spotted Dove lose a flight feather, I picked it up so I could study it and get to know it so I can identify similar feathers later.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis).
Flight feather from Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis).
Spotted Dove.

Today sunrise was at 7 am, yesterday it was at 7:01; tomorrow for the Great Aloha Run it will be at 6:59 am. By the end of the month it will be at 6:52. I leave the house about 25 minutes before sunrise so that I can be parked and ready to walk by about 10 minutes before sunrise. I have found this to be a productive time for birding.

Dad had finished about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich when I showed up; the kitchen forgot to trim the crust off again. He also ate about half of his papaya and drank all of his Boost Breeze. He was concerned this morning about not having his wallet to pay for his meal; it took a while to convince him that the VA was paying for everything & he didn't need to worry about it. He also thought I was still in college.

Dad was too sleepy to get up to see the Chinese lion dancers. I passed them on my way out for my walk. They danced for the residents in the Castle Living Room, then went down the hallways to greet the residents who remained in their rooms.

The mid-morning walk was overcast with a light breeze. It did try to rain but only managed to come up with a light drizzle; nothing that needed me to put my poncho on.


Lunch today was Chicken afritada, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Assorted pies, and Thai chicken curry & rice soup; we both received cherry pie. In the time I took me to take the plastic wrap off of my lunch items, arrange things on the tray, and take the photo, Dad had eaten his peanut butter & jelly sandwich! I was amazed. He ate a few bites of his cherry pie then went to sleep.


I skipped the afternoon walk; I decided it would be better for me to rest up rather than to do more walking this afternoon. I will be going to sleep early because we have to get up early.

I picked up furikake salmon and garlic shoyu chicken at Times Supermarket for dinner so I could have some quality protein before the GAR. It was delicious and I did not feel hungry later in the evening.
L to R: Furikake salmon and garlic shoyu chicken.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Marc, Dixie, & Jeff! Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #12 to Susan & Lane! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #1 to Joy & Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment