Saturday, February 16, 2019

GAR Race Packet

We picked up our race packets for the Great Aloha Run this afternoon. Each person is given a bib number which contains a tracking strip. When you go to the race results page, enter the bib number of the person whose results you want to see in the box that says "Type name or bib", my number is 5957. Then click on "search"; my results will show up sometime after I have finished the course. Since I won't be birding, I estimate I will probably be going about 3 mph; I am in the group they call, "those who just want to walk the course with friends and socialize along the way in the Back of the Pack." I think it will take me until about 9:45 am to complete the course. It does not look like there is link to a page showing a real time map of where the person is; so no creepy long distance stalking!
Nephew Brent running up to the check-in line.
Picking up his race packet.
Race map.
My bib number.
There are maps on the back of the bib of the start & finish line.

The morning walk was relatively dry, though it looked ominous throughout the walk. I saw Suzette in her garage just starting a load of laundry; later she walked by the entrance to Maunalani and I saw her as I was doing my cool down stretches. I saw Lorraine down by the park, then later as she was going down Lurline as I was going up. At the top of Lurline I saw Caroline just starting her walk with Olive, Louie, & Chewie.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The temperature when I arrived.
Red junglefowl (Domestic type) poop.

Dad ate about 25% of his breakfast (1/2 of his fried egg sandwich) and drank all of his Breeze. I don't think there were any bananas available this morning; there was none on his tray table & nothing he hid in his blankets.

It rained on me for a short while during my mid-morning walk. It started out dry, then began with a light drizzle on the circle. But about the time I got down to Ken's house it began to rain; I took shelter under his garage eaves, they're not as wide as Chip's garage eaves but they're better than standing under the nearby palms or next to the hedge. I met Verna near Monterey, she offered me a plastic bag for my phone; she's a runner & likes this type of weather for the same reasons that I do! The rain eased up and the rest of the walk was either dry or very lightly drizzling until I was almost back up at the top of Lurline; I waited in the bus shelter during the heaviest part of the rain. I had the poncho with me, but if there is too much precipitation dripping off the poncho a lot runs down my legs and in to my shoes. My newer Hokas that I want to wear for the GAR are still a little damp from the rain on the 13th.


Everett has similar signs like these in their bus shelters. But the smoking ones tell you that you can't smoke within 25 feet of the shelter which is the State law. Kai broke the one about lying down in the shelter when he was about to go in to tetany from running to catch the bus causing him to hyperventilate. He called me before the EMTs got there to check him out; they were gone by the time I got there. A Good Samaritan had called 911 because he didn't look so good as he went to lie on the ground; he knew what was happening so he knew what to do about it (lie down so he didn't injure himself by falling) but the Good Samaritan didn't ask him before calling 911, so the EMTs showed up. He told them what was going on & that I was coming to get him, they confirmed that's what was happening, then left.


Lunch today was Pork yakisoba, Seasoned broccoli florets, Tossed salad, Fresh pineapple, and Potato Chowder. Dad only ate about half the fresh pineapple & drank all the Breeze; he didn't touch his peanut butter & jelly sandwich.


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate texted me just after lunch, "I think I just broke the washer"; it was making loud banging noises on the spin cycle. He removed all the clothes and it was still making loud banging noises. Mom had service contracts on all her Sears appliances and I had heard there was a company taking those over as the Sears stores were closing, so I sent him the number I called for service; it was no longer working & there was no number that it referred him to. He finally got a number, they were supposed to send an email to both of us with info on how to troubleshoot the problem, but it never arrived. So The Potential Most Favorite Roommate called again; this time he got the runaround so he hung up on them. After he ate, he tried again and got through. A technician will be here next Thursday to check it out.

My afternoon walk was warm & sunny! Curtis was there when I returned; they're keeping his money safe for him until he returns!


The Roommates & I went to Angelo Pietro's for dinner. It was interesting. It was like an Italian restaurant you might find in Japan! The menu was in English & kana and there were Japanese style pasta sauces! We started with a Meat Lover's Pizza as an appetizer. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had the Oriental Chicken Salad and The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes and I had the Mushroom & Bacon with Gorgonzola Sauce Penne.
Meat Lover's Pizza.
Oriental Chicken Salad.
The dressings!
Mushroom & Bacon with Gorgonzola Sauce Penne.

The waitress was very understanding when we declined dessert. She said, "I know where you're going for dessert!" And she was right; but only because there was no line at Via Gelato. If there was a line we were going to the frozen yogurt place a couple doors down. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had Cookies 'n' Cream and Fierce Chocolate, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had a cone with Pistachio Golden Milk, and I had Dark Chocolate Sorbet with toasted nuts.

L: Cookies 'n' Cream and Fierce Chocolate.
Pistachio Golden Milk.
Dark Chocolate with toasted nuts.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Liz!

No comments:

Post a Comment