Friday, February 15, 2019

Dinner with John & Debbie

On Wednesday I had mentioned that I was on Facebook & found out a friend was here & I was hoping we could get together before he left; he was on the North Shore but moving to Honolulu today. Guess what! We got together tonight! John texted me around 3 pm saying they were on their way in to town & had no plans for tonight; we ended up having dinner at Uncle's Fish Market & Grill on Pier 38. Debbie had the Seafood Grill, John had the Fresh Opah, & I had the Uncle's Seafood Pasta.  We figure its been 9 or 10 years since we've last seen each other; we've had a handful of emails & FB messages in the meanwhile. Once he got in the car and we started talking it felt like it was only yesterday that I had last seen him! And his new-to-me-wife Debbie was so warm and wonderful I felt like I had known her just as long! John always wears funny Christmas ties in the weeks leading up to the day; I had gotten him one with the Grinch on it. My quest now is to find a humorous Hawaiian-themed Christmas tie for him!
The lit up sign says "Uncle's".
Seafood Grill. (Photo by John)
Fresh Opah. (Photo by John)
Uncle's Seafood Pasta; for carbo loading!
Debbie & John.

Later we went to Leonard's Bakery for some filled malasadas. It was so crowded at Leonard's we went to the car to eat them.
John with a haupia filled malasada.
Debbie with a macadamia filled malasada.

I forgot to check how cool it was when I got to Maunalani this morning but it was 63 degrees F when I left home so it was at least 63, maybe a little less. But no problem, I warmed up after about 5 minutes of walking; more importantly, there was no precipitation this morning! I saw Caroline & Olive along with her daughter's dogs Louie (a French bulldog) and Chewie (who looked like a medium-length coat Pekingese cross, reminded me more of an Ewok than Chewbacca). Sorry, no photo of Chewie so that you can tell me what you think.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Five minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was sleeping in front of his food and had not touched any of it. He ended up eating half of the fried egg sandwich, all of the Plus, and 120 ml of the Breeze; they haven't quite gotten in to the routine of only giving him one supplement with meals.

I forgot to mention that I saw Mrs. Iseri out and about at the Valentine's celebration yesterday! She is no longer confined to her room; she said the day before was her 1st day back to being able to get out of her room.

My midmorning walk was also dry but breezy. There was a bunch of tree trimming going on along Sierra near the park. I was looking at the Norfolk Island pine from a slightly different angle today as I walked by it (on the opposite side of the road) and saw that there are actually 3 widowmakers in it!


Lunch today was Sesame chicken, Steamed rice, Namasu, Tossed salad, Banana bar, and Minestrone soup. On Wednesday evening my tray came with 2 spoons, today it came with no utensils; I went and got a pair of chopsticks. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich and half of his cake; he drank almost all of his Breeze supplement.


It drizzled during about half of the lunch period, then it dried up. Then sun actually came out for a brief period. It had settled down by the time I did my walk and was relatively pleasant. I saw Suzette as I was heading down Sierra. I also checked out the tree trimming by the park; the crown of the African Tulip Tree is now about half as large as it used to be.

About half the crown of the African Tulip Tree has been removed.

Dad went to the Veterans Club meeting this afternoon. I took him up immediately after I got back from my walk. (Which meant I didn't do my cool down stretches before I started taking him to the meeting. I ended up having to leave the meeting & take care of the stretching; my legs were starting to cramp.)
The veterans at the club meeting.

As I was walking up to the car to leave; I spotted something unusual on the top of the car. This is the second time I have found a newspaper on the top of my car. Apparently this one was there for a while! I'll have to get better at checking the top of the car when I can't find the newspaper in the morning. It started to rain about 3 minutes after I got in to the car to leave!
Being wet made it stick to the top of the roof.



Today was the first time since the high winds started that I have come home earlier enough to check on the plants in our back yard! There were quite a number of papaya leaves that were on the ground and one plant that got knocked over.


I can't believe I lost weight this week; I am down 1.5 pounds even with eating 2 meals a day at Maunalani! So I am back to where I was on 01/25; I had gained 1.5 pounds last week. (Did not get a weight on 02/01 because the WiiFit batteries were dead.) Not sure what the big difference is, may be its the colder weather. Dunno. But I'll take it! In the meanwhile, I need to figure out how to get rid of my visceral fat; that's probably what's making me feel lethargic. I estimate I am about 21% fat which is about 24 pounds of fat; I would like to get that back down to about 12% fat, which is what I was at when I was at my strongest when I was training. Which means I have to lose about 14 pounds of fat.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Frances, Joel, Sandy, Hughes, Cindy, & Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment