Thursday, February 7, 2019

Max's Restaurant

We took Elena to Max's Restaurant so that she could experience Filipino food, which she can't get back in Switzerland. We started with Lumpiang Shanghai appetizers. Elena ordered the Kare-Kare, DT got the Pork Barbecue Skewers, The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes got the Filipino Bistek, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate got the Pork Sinigang, and I got Diniguan. We also tried dessert: Elena got the Turon with Tropical Ice Cream, DT & one of the roommates had Leche Flan, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had the Halo-Halo and I had the Buko Pandan.




Lumpiang Shanghai.
Kare-kare.
Pork Barbecue Skewers. (Photo by DT)
Filipino Bistek. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Pork Sinigang.
Diniguan.
Turon with Tropical Ice Cream. (Photo by Elena)
Leche Flan. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Halo Halo Special. (Photo by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate)
Buko Pandan.

I saw Ona & Rio with her friend Wendy right by the entrance to the parking lot this morning. Later on my morning walk I saw Steph; I'll probably see Lorraine on the weekend. It was a pleasant morning  with very little breeze; they predicted high winds this weekend. It was also nice and dry, they predicted showers later today and through the weekend. I saw mushrooms in 2 different yards; the Chlorophyllum molybdites were coming up in Ronnie & Douglas' yard again and a whole bunch of Comatus cinereus had sprung up from the wood chip mulch in another.
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twenty-four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Chlorophyllum molybdites in Ronnie & Douglas' lawn.
Coprinus cinereus already starting to deliquiesce.

Dad had eaten about half of his fried egg sandwich and half of his papaya by the time I got in; I told him to wait on the rest of it since Brittany was going to be back again. He had also finished most of his supplements; they still haven't gotten the word that we are only giving him 1 supplement per meal.

Brittany worked with Dad again on the safe swallowing and said he is doing very well on his own without cues most of the time. A big issue however is oral health, she will be talking with the CNAs and nurses today about it. Because Dad has so few teeth, and has been complaining about one of them being loose and wanting it pulled, Curtis & I discussed having them all pulled and having dentures made to make oral health easier. Brittany cautioned that staff sometimes is too busy to take them out at night and soak them; that is something Curtis and I could make sure gets done. I will be talking with RN Supervisor Remy about this possibility.


It began to drizzle about 15 minutes before I was to start my mid-morning walk. I thought I would have to cancel my walk because it started to rain harder. But right around 10 it stopped and the sun came out! So I quickly got ready and did my walk. It was hot! And also muggy since the rain was now rising up from the pavement as steam. As I was coming up Lurline, I heard sirens again; they kept getting closer. Just as I was near the top of Lurline I realized the siren was behind me on Lurline! It was a firetruck! Then I saw the ambulance, it was coming up Sierra; they both turned right and went up Maunalani Circle, away from Maunalani. It sounded like they stopped at Hale Nohea, the private nursing home on Maunalani Circle.



Lunch today was Meat jun, Steamed rice, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Brownie, and Chicken jook. They forgot my plasticware so CNA Tasha found an extra fork from one of the other trays. Then I must have been hungry because I forgot to take a photo and started eating; hence the unkempt look of the tray. Dad said he wasn't hungry and only drank half his Breeze and Plus; someone also cut his sandwich. I will have to find out who put his lunch out and let them know about the changes.


During my afternoon walk I saw that all of the C. cinereus had deliquesed; it looked like they were never ever there. I also saw a squashed Anolis sangrei that was looking rather dinosaurian.
This morning this area was covered with C. cinereus that were deliquiescing.
Because I am focusing more on the birds I am sometimes missing these.

There were flowers waiting for me when I t]returned. They were from Dr. Sylvester and the staff at The Cat Clinic for Chibi.


On November 11th last year I started using the DuoLingo app on my phone to learn ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi; The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes is also learning Hawaiian with DuoLingo, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate took Hawaiian in college. I have completed the lessons on Intro, Determiner, Greetings, Polite Expressions, & Personal Determiner. I am on the ʻŌhana lesson, level 3; there appear to be 5 levels for each lesson. And I have a 25 day streak going for number of days in a row that I have been meeting my goal of studying Hawaiian for 15 minutes. My streak would be longer but I think they must be counting it on a different time zone because there are days I am sure I have completed my 15 minutes before midnight but it tells me I just lost my streak! I can tell I am learning something; when I listen to the Hawaiian music station I can now figure out a couple of the words in some lyrics!


 I got an email toady from Mary Ellen canceling a monthly event she hosts at her house. It also had a cartoon of her looking out at the snow around the house.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Heather & Alison!

No comments:

Post a Comment