Monday, February 18, 2019

Great Aloha Run 2019

I survived! I walked the Great Aloha Run in 2:35:47, so a little faster than I had calculated based on my times walking around Maunalani. The Samsung Health app on my phone would give me stats at the end of each mile; our best time was 3.2 mph (specifically Mile #4 which we did in 17:29). Overall it said we walked 8.84 miles in 2:47; but this did not count walking from the house down to the bus stop to catch TheBus to get in to Waikiki, from TheBus stop to the Sheraton Waikiki shuttle pick up point, from the drop off point to the walkers staging area, and from the finish line back to the shuttle pick up point. We think that all probably added another mile to our walking today. Which would mean that I walked about 9.5 miles today; the most I have done since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Now I will have to see how long it takes me to recover!
With our finisher's medals. (Selfie by Brent)

As I mentioned, we walked from the house to TheBus stop; we had to leave at 5 am in order to get to the shuttle point to get to the staging area in time for the start.
My calendar letting me know what day it is.
Leaving the house at O-dark-30 to go to TheBus stop.
TheBus lets us know what the next stop is.
At Sheraton Waikiki waiting for shuttle.

The run started right at 7 am, but it took us about 10 minutes to get up to the actual starting pad which records your bib identification number and starts tracking each individual's time. At the end you also had to make sure you crossed over the pad to get the timer to stop. So while it said 2:46 when I crossed the finish line, my actual official time was 2:35:47. Before things started, I began taking a couple sips of my apple juice-lemonade-salt drink every 15 minutes. By doing this I stayed well hydrated and I didn't have to make any stops to pee during the walk, I sweated it all out!
Five minutes before sunrise at the GAR.

I tried to take a photo at each of the signs that they so graciously put up at each mile marker. There were also bands along the way playing to entertain runners & walkers, a team with a balloon dragon, and people encouraging the runners and walkers.
Getting to the starting line at about 7:10.
Chinese New Year's Dragon jogs along the GAR route.
Stink Eye performing for runners and walkers.
Mile post #2.
Mele Apana & Shannon Scott from KINE 105.1 fm.
Mile post #3.
On Nimitz, under the H-1 viaduct, for a couple of shady miles.
I have to watch out for the road turtles or I will trip over them.
Mile post #4.
Mile post #5.
An encouraging sign.
Another encouraging sign!
The steepest grade on the course.
Encouraging signs?
Turning towards the stadium.
Getting closer!
When we got to the ticket booth in the distance we started jogging to the stadium entrance.
Getting ready to enter Aloha Stadium.
The Finish line!
Going back up to the shuttle buses.
One of the snacks they handed out at the end. I already ate the King's Hawaiian sweet rolls.

I also did some birding. At first I wasn't going to because I thought there would be very few birds; and there were fewer than I would see for the same distance at Maunalani, but I was surprised by the numbers I saw.  According to eBird, I saw 11 species and counted 90 individuals.

We saw 2 medical emergencies. One was about a mile in to the start; not sure what happened there. The other was at the end of the course; someone leaving the stadium apparently collapsed when they started walking up the small incline leaving the building. For me there was no part of the walk or the aftermath that was steeper than the hills I have to climb at Maunalani so I had no problems. The big question is, how will I feel tomorrow?

We went to Hawaiʻi's Favorite Kitchen to pick up lunch, which we ate at home. But I was so hungry I forgot to take photos! After eating I took a shower, then ended by icing my knees even though I could not feel any pain. Brent, however, was in some pain because he had not been doing much walking prior to today. I was surprised by the number of people who were stopped along the way resting or stretching as we walked by.

We saw several squashed things on the road, but I only had time to take a photo of a single invividual. Not sure at first glance what it was. Even after looking at this photo I'm not sure what it is. I know its not a rat since it has a furry tail. Could be a mongoose or a cat. Not enough left for a definite answer.


I have now finished icing my knees, so I am going to end this post and take a nap.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Tammi & David!

No comments:

Post a Comment